The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I finished my biology flashcards yesterday so now I'm condensing my chemistry notes. I woke up so late today though urgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to do the June 2011 paper now

Posted from TSR Mobile
68/75 on core 4 silver 2, made stupid error and also didn't know area of a parallelogram....

dont know if ive got another paper in me.....may watch a film then come back, done 4.5 hours so far need a break i reckon
Finished my second chemistry paper and I was also doing a few NMR questions from different past papers, and I can do them quite quickly now :biggrin: I'll practice some more NMR, then do another past paper
Done and marked June 2011 paper, got 65/75 which was an A so I'm ok with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4325
Original post by Kamara7
Finished my second chemistry paper and I was also doing a few NMR questions from different past papers, and I can do them quite quickly now :biggrin: I'll practice some more NMR, then do another past paper

tips for nmr? i never get the final structure right?! also where else can i find practise qs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gonna do Jan 2011 noe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4327
Well, I'm still making my Biology notes; almost done with topic 6 then I'll move onto succession.
This is the week when pretty much all my exams are happening, yet I have so little motivation to work hard. I've spent most of today rewatching got.
Original post by ranz
tips for nmr? i never get the final structure right?! also where else can i find practise qs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a structured attempt at the question. I always structure the big NMR questions like this:

The singlet/doublet/whatever at 2.7ppm is caused by a H (or a number of Hs if they give you the ratio of Hs for the peaks) in a R-CH (or something else, literally copying the structure the data sheet gives) environment adjacent to however many Hs (remember the n + 1 rule), then I draw what this peak tells me. If you analyse all the peaks like this, you should get a bunch of marks :smile:
(I always say how many peaks there are in total, and then that's how many H environments there are)

So for example: the triplet at 2.9 ppm is caused by 2 Hs in a C6H5-CH environment adjacent to 2 Hs:
C6H5-CH2-CH2-

Remember to use other clues in the Q as well, if it's an ester, then there should be a peak for HC-CO- for the H next to the C=O carbon.

For piecing the molecule together, look for things that overlap. Like if you found that two peaks suggest the structures CH3-CH2- and CH3-CH2-O-, then you can guess that the CH3-CH2- overlap.

More NMR Qs: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/ocr-chemistry-f324-module-3-nmr-practice-questions-6259747
(Make a TES account).

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ooooohhhhh noooooo. Done with anarchism (erm, for now... :erm:) but the realisation that I have about 5 more ideologies (minimum) to cover is dawning upon me - why is this so hard. :cry2:
Now moving on to liberalism again :sigh: - think I'll have to gamble a bit and skip reading revision notes and just cover every single essay that has come up. :work:
Reply 4331
yay, I've just completed all my Bio 4 notes.

:party:

Think I'm going to take a break now, then I'll start making my Chem 4 notes bc that's on Tuesday + I think biology memorisation/preparation can wait a little.
Reply 4332
Hey CONGRATS! Have you learnt any of unit 4 and 5 yet? Also may I ask what grades you're hoping for?
Original post by Anon_98
yay, I've just completed all my Bio 4 notes.

:party:

Think I'm going to take a break now, then I'll start making my Chem 4 notes bc that's on Tuesday + I think biology memorisation/preparation can wait a little.
going to write essay plans for NML and virtue ethics for philosophy exam on wednesday
Reply 4334
Original post by AW97
Hey CONGRATS!

Thanks! How's your revision going? :'3

Original post by AW97

Have you learnt any of unit 4 and 5 yet?

Ah no, but whilst I was making my notes, I think quite a lot of the information sunk in. I've yet to sit down + just memorise it all though + I can't learn Unit 5 until I've made the notes for that too, which I am planning to do after Chem.. maybe.

Original post by AW97

Also may I ask what grades you're hoping for?

Mmm, good ones. :colondollar: Yourself?
Didn't finish that D1 paper but I'm tired now so I'm off to bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done more NMR stuff and a chem legacy paper, overall not too bad :smile: I realised that might need to make flashcards on model answers for questions which appear a lot just in case. Oh, also on more reactions other than those in organic synthesis. I'll do all that the day before the exam, it'll be fine. Tomorrow I need to revise EVERYTHING for the last psychology paper. I hope I don't wake up late.
Reply 4338
Oh dear, I've almost taken, like, a 2hr break. I'll start with the first topic in 20 mins.
Reply 4339

Latest

Trending

Trending