The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Greek

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kaedra
Thanks for the mark scheme! :smile:

7) was how his wife felt about his plan (afraid of the danger)

Another question missed was what Priam said to Heracles about his father (an old man just like me who will soon die)

Thanks :smile: Those were the ones i was looking for. Now I have too many marks for Section C - anybody help me find where I put more marks on a question that was necessary?
Original post by Martins1
I made a mark scheme, but its not quite right - please help find the missing questions/inaccuracies.

Thought I'd make a mark scheme for the paper-but i have forgotten parts of it, so you will have to remind me:smile:

Section A
1)
Q- For how long did the Trojans and Greeks fight? [1]
A- 10 years

2)
Q- How was Achilles described? [2]
A- The bravest/ of the Greeks.

3)
Q- Describe in detail the terrible deed which Achilles did? [4]
A- Having fastened the corpse/ to the chariot, he dragged it/ around the wall of the enemy.

4)
Q- Who was Priam? Give two details. [2]
A- He was the King of Troy/ and the father of Hector

5)
Q– What did Priam want to do and why? [4] (or 3, not sure?)
A He wanted to ask/ for the body of his son/ so that he could bury it/ according to custom.

6)
Q– What did Priam bring with him? [3]
A– He brought gold/ and other/ gifts.

7)
Can’t remember?

8)
Q– Which Greek word describes how he went there? Translate it into English. [2]
A lathrai /in secret or secretly

9) Cannot remember
Total: 20 marks.

Section B– Translation [20]
I can only remember bits:
/Priam was coming to the camp of Achilles by night in silence. The path was long and difficult./
Zeus, having noticed the old man and pitying him, sent Hermes to lead him./ Therefore the messenger of the gods immediately appeared,/ diguised as a young man from the camp of Achilles. /On the one hand, he was amazed, on the other hand the god told him not to be afraid./

Section C
1)
Q When did Hermes disappear? [2]
A When they reached/ the camp of Achilles.

2)
Q Therefore what did Priam do? (Can’t remember the exact q…) [2]
A He went in/ alone.

3)
Q How did Priam respect/greet Achilles? Tick one box. [1]
A The third and final box He took his hands.

4)
Q How did Priam describe himself? [1]
A Unlucky.

5)
Q What happened before Achilles killed Hector? [3]
A Formerly/ many of his sons/ died.

Question missed?

6)
Q What happened after Priam finished speaking? [3]
A Priam and Achilles/ cried/ for a long time.

7)
Q What did Achilles say he would do? [3]
A He said that he would give back/ Priam’s son/ to Priam.

8)
Q –Derivatives of the words polis and gune. [4]
Polis:
Politics/ politician / political To do with city and state
Metropolis/ Metropolitan Large/busy/capital/prime city or state
Policy - A course of action determined by a city or state
Cosmopolis / Cosmopolitan - a city inhabited by people from many different countries
Megalopolis - a very large/heavily populated city
Necropolis - Large cemetery of a(n ancient) city
Acropolis - Part of a(n ancient) city built on a hill

Gune: Gynaecologist/ Gynaecology Practicioner/practice of women’s’ diseases.
Misogynist/ Misogynistic hater of women/against women
Polygyny - Having many wives/ more than one wife.
Philogyny - Love of women
Gynophobia - Fear of women
Gynephilia - Sexual orientation towards women
Gynocentrism - entirely focusing on women

Total: 20 marks

Please note: the use of the slash in Sections A and C denote each marking point. In Section B they separate the five phrases, which are each worth four marks depending on how well you translated them with the following marks awarded in translation:
4: Correct translation with one minor error allowed.
3: Overall sense clear one serious or two minor errors allowed.
2: Partcorrect, overall sense lacking/not clear.
1: Not coherent, isolated knowledge of vocabulary only.
0: Totally wrong or left out.
N.B - inconsequential errors should be ignored minor errors are separate from them.

As you can see I have 18/20 marks of Section A (I forgot a question for sure), 20/20 marksof section B (but I feel like I have forgotten something) and 19/20 marks of Section C (I think one of the three markers was actually a four (5?), or maybe an extraquestion not sure…)

Thank you so much for this!! I didn't define metropolitan as a large type city, so I'll probably lose a mark there and a few clumsy bits on the translation - but other than that I think it went okay!

Thanks again for the mark scheme :smile:
Thanks :smile: Those were the ones i was looking for. Now I have too many marks for Section C - anybody help me find where I put more marks on a question that was necessary?

I think question 1 of section C was just 1 mark.
Original post by metellaest
Thank you so much for this!! I didn't define metropolitan as a large type city, so I'll probably lose a mark there and a few clumsy bits on the translation - but other than that I think it went okay!

Thanks again for the mark scheme :smile:

No problem - sounds like it went well overall :smile:
Original post by Kaedra
I think question 1 of section C was just 1 mark.

Took a quick look at those papers and I would say that the A* mark for this will be 51-53 - easier than 2012, harder than 2013, very similar to 2014 and 2015.

My predicted grade boundaries are as follows:
A* - 52
A - 45
B - 40
C - 35

Oh and what do you guys think: for the question "Who was Priam?" I wrote King of the Trojans rather than Troy - will I lose that mark?
Do you have any idea about what constitutes a major and a minor error? (I used the wrong tense for the 'having noticed' participle, I used the present). I'm presuming that's major? :frown:
I put king of the Trojans too, also my mind went blank on derivatives of polis so I put plaza and defined it as an area in a city with many establishments such as restaurants and shops 😱 is that possibly correct? Oh and I think I put that Priam's intentions were to take back the corpse of his son or was it ask for it back?
Original post by helenh567
Do you have any idea about what constitutes a major and a minor error? (I used the wrong tense for the 'having noticed' participle, I used the present). I'm presuming that's major? :frown:

A minor error I think is using the perfect instead of the aorist when translating, using the word "to" rather than "into" in an answer. But yes its hatd to determine whay constitues one rathrt than the other. I think that would be a major error. Assuming you got the rest right, you will drop one mark.
Original post by Duncan.marsden11
I put king of the Trojans too, also my mind went blank on derivatives of polis so I put plaza and defined it as an area in a city with many establishments such as restaurants and shops 😱 is that possibly correct? Oh and I think I put that Priam's intentions were to take back the corpse of his son or was it ask for it back?

No plaza is incorrect, sorry... and Priam wanted to ask for the corpse of his son in order to bury it according the custom. If all you put was "to take back his corpse", you will lose three marks probably. Maybe two.

I thought I would briefly explain why iy was "having noticed" rather than "noticing". The word given was aisthenomenos, (the ending may have been different, cannot remember). There was only one clue that it was aorist rather than present. The stem aisthEn- is te aorist stem not the present stem. As aisthanomai is deponent and has a strong aorist, it had the ending omenos - the middle ending because its deponent. It was not amenos because it has a strong aorist only. I too wrote "noticing" First time around - but i was checking all my tenses and found that it had to be aorist. Do you guys have the sheet of all the irregular principle parts? I can send one so that you guys can look before monday cos it is such a huge help! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Took a quick look at those papers and I would say that the A* mark for this will be 51-53 - easier than 2012, harder than 2013, very similar to 2014 and 2015.

My predicted grade boundaries are as follows:
A* - 52
A - 45
B - 40
C - 35

Oh and what do you guys think: for the question "Who was Priam?" I wrote King of the Trojans rather than Troy - will I lose that mark?

I hope they're the grade boundaries!

And probably - they gave you both the translation of Troy and Trojans so it was probably put in as a slight trick question.... But I wouldn't worry about it!

Best of luck for Monday :smile:
Yeah i thought it was a pretty good paper, really annoyed tho, question 5 section 3 I thought son was singular instead of plural... so I put many had died previously because of his son. I think Ill get 2, for putting 'many' and 'previously', would I get another for 'had died' although it was in the wrong context? Seems like I got a pretty rare derivation, I put androgynous, someone who looks like both a man and a woman, and metropolis, a large busy city. Gd luck for monday
I reckon there was one mark for each of the following correctly stated phrases:
1 - He wanted to ask
1 - for the body of his son
1 - so that he could bury it
1- according to custom.

So if all you wrote was "so that he could bury it", one mark probably.
Regarding question 3: I would need to have another look at the greek, I've forgotten - likelihood is that you guys are right, but I cannot remember, sorry.

No problems about making the mark scheme - and thanks, I knew a clause was missing in the translation somewhere, that makes so much more sense now! About to change it. [edit: changed it]

I got the whole sentence but instead of putting 'so that he could bury it' I put " so that it could be buried"... Thoughts?

And yeah good luck for Monday everyone! It's going to be a Greek-filled weekend! :smile:
Original post by jamesj477
Yeah i thought it was a pretty good paper, really annoyed tho, question 5 section 3 I thought son was singular instead of plural... so I put many had died previously because of his son. I think Ill get 2, for putting 'many' and 'previously', would I get another for 'had died' although it was in the wrong context? Seems like I got a pretty rare derivation, I put androgynous, someone who looks like both a man and a woman, and metropolis, a large busy city. Gd luck for monday

I reckon on that question you will get 2/3 because you didn't mention of his sons. "Had died" is fine because of backshifting between speech and answers.
Your derivations are right.
Original post by fuzz13
I got the whole sentence but instead of putting 'so that he could bury it' I put " so that it could be buried"... Thoughts?

And yeah good luck for Monday everyone! It's going to be a Greek-filled weekend! :smile:

Haha yes, Greek filled (Greek yoghurt :wink: )
So you basically changed it from an active to a passive. Probably negative one, although you may be lucky and get away with it.
Hi! Does anyone have a quizlet set with all of the paper two(full course) vocab? Thanks!
Is everyone enjoying their Greek-end? *cue angered shouting and throwing of vocab lists* :wink:
Reply 134
Personally I'm not revising Greek until tomorrow, too bogged down with the other exams next week for that. It will probably be harder than the paper yesterday though, because of the long translation.
Original post by meme259
Hi! Does anyone have a quizlet set with all of the paper two(full course) vocab? Thanks!

Umm... not sure what you mean by quizlet set - but I find the follwing links pretty useful:
http://www.etoncollege.com/GreekProject.aspx?nid=e19484e6-707c-44d4-a3d7-f8b93df8751f - contains links for all sorts of testers if you scroll down.
http://www.memrise.com/course/302/ocr-greek-gcse-vocab-list-shuffled/ - vocab only
https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-tests/greek_vocab_tester_little_words - vocab again
Original post by Caecilius'Garden
Is everyone enjoying their Greek-end? *cue angered shouting and throwing of vocab lists* :wink:

Haha yes, well I'm focusing on DT, physics and chemistry too, although they are not too hard either. I have found that after having a panicked cram session between biology and greek language one yesterday (not even necessary after all that....) i know pretty much all the greek and I'm pretty solid at it by now. The vocab lists are not the problem - learning the irregular principle parts though...
Original post by F0X
Personally I'm not revising Greek until tomorrow, too bogged down with the other exams next week for that. It will probably be harder than the paper yesterday though, because of the long translation.

I am mixing all the revision of my subjects up, so did some greek today - I have other exams too but fortunately I'm not too bad at them so they aren't quite bogging me down. Although the grammar is typically harder in this paper and there is some more vocabulary/grammar/syntax on the spec, I actually find translation easier. I understand that for most it's easier to praphrase when answering comprehension as you don't need so much precision, but typically I make my silly (!) mistakes in the comprehension section (like how in greek 1 i wrote "king of the trojans" rather than troy, despite the word being given to us. Oh and in the Language 1 latin for the question: "Give two pieces of information about the young men who approached Atalanta?" for one of them I wrote "they approached Atalanta", having not read the question! Still banging my head on the table about that. One more for fun? In latin Language two I managed to misread the verb "to come" for "to leave" and when checking just never really checked the latin stem as i was focusing on endings... mistakes NOT to be made...)

P.s - turns out i was wrong about the "dragged it around the wall of the enemy"; I thought about it some more and did some online browsing and found out that it was actually "around the walls of the city".
Both nouns, polis and teixos are irregular - which is why I mistook city for enemy (so stupid!). But the teixos story is more exciting. You see, teixos is not on our vocab list for paper 1, so was given to us. In paper 2 we are expected to know teixos type regular nouns (it says they are regular, but I'll explain why it is a false regular) but in paper 1 we are not required to be able to decline these. After much searching online (wikipedia to the rescue), i found out that teixos is a dental 3rd declension noun. Oh and its a neuter form of this unusual from, making it even weirder. Meaning it has completely different endings - and the grammar revision guide at the back of my grammar booklet (John Taylor's Greek to GCSE 2) did not mention it anywhere. So it therefore had completely irregular endings - which were not required for that paper AND my revision booklet completely ignored... UGH! Why didn't I just look at the definite article? *Facepalm*

Despite all that, it only cost me a mark max.
Reply 136
I am mixing all the revision of my subjects up, so did some greek today - I have other exams too but fortunately I'm not too bad at them so they aren't quite bogging me down.

For me it's just that I haven't revised the topics specifically for the later papers so I need to do that and then catch up on the stuff I learned for the earlier papers.

Although the grammar is typically harder in this paper and there is some more vocabulary/grammar/syntax on the spec, I actually find translation easier. I understand that for most it's easier to praphrase when answering comprehension as you don't need so much precision, but typically I make my silly (!) mistakes in the comprehension section (like how in greek 1 i wrote "king of the trojans" rather than troy, despite the word being given to us.

Yeah, I got that wrong too, and also lost marks on that participle "having noticed" and the derivatives question. Luckily I didn't find the literature exams that difficult though.

You see, teixos is not on our vocab list for paper 1, so was given to us. In paper 2 we are expected to know teixos type regular nouns (it says they are regular, but I'll explain why it is a false regular) but in paper 1 we are not required to be able to decline these. After much searching online (wikipedia to the rescue), i found out that teixos is a dental 3rd declension noun. Oh and its a neuter form of this unusual from, making it even weirder. Meaning it has completely different endings - and the grammar revision guide at the back of my grammar booklet (John Taylor's Greek to GCSE 2) did not mention it anywhere. So it therefore had completely irregular endings - which were not required for that paper AND my revision booklet completely ignored... UGH! Why didn't I just look at the definite article? *Facepalm*

Despite all that, it only cost me a mark max.

My Greek class didn't get separate vocab lists for papers 1 and 2 - we just have to learn everything for both papers. And we have all the forms of teixos in our revision notes as an example of an irregular 3rd declension noun.
Original post by F0X
For me it's just that I haven't revised the topics specifically for the later papers so I need to do that and then catch up on the stuff I learned for the earlier papers.

Yeah, for sciences (do you do edexcel igcse) I guess thats true. I just remember most the stuff anyway, I've now just got focus on a few extra topics and learning mark schemes.

Yeah, I got that wrong too, and also lost marks on that participle "having noticed" and the derivatives question. Luckily I didn't find the literature exams that difficult though.

Literature exams were all really good, except the question about the flower.

My Greek class didn't get separate vocab lists for papers 1 and 2 - we just have to learn everything for both papers. And we have all the forms of teixos in our revision notes as an example of an irregular 3rd declension noun.

Yeah we only got the list for paper 2 (everything). However because we were really only taught greek in a 1 year period, one person dropped to the half course, and he had gotten the half course vocab, which didn't include Teixos. I also know that because it was underlined and given in the exam. I also printed off the specifications for each exam from teh website to ensure I had covered everything.
Could I ask which other nouns you have written down as irregular? My teacher and revision stuff glossed that, so they may have glossed something else...
Reply 138
Yeah, for sciences (do you do edexcel igcse) I guess thats true. I just remember most the stuff anyway, I've now just got focus on a few extra topics and learning mark schemes.

Yeah, I do do that course. I find quite a bit of the physics stuff pretty hard though, so that will take some learning.

Literature exams were all really good, except the question about the flower.

Exactly! I hated that question too, I wasn't sure whether to quote the Latin and bring in style points, or whether it was just comprehension.

Could I ask which other nouns you have written down as irregular? My teacher and revision stuff glossed that, so they may have glossed something else...

On the specification list we were given, the irregular (I think?) noun types were basileus, polis, soma and teixos. We didn't get a list of all nouns required for GCSE which were irregular though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by F0X
Yeah, I do do that course. I find quite a bit of the physics stuff pretty hard though, so that will take some learning.

Yeah, electromagnetics and electrostatics can be a bit tricky (personally) and they are bound to come up. For me I can understand all the theory, I just can't get the marks when I put it on paper...

Exactly! I hated that question too, I wasn't sure whether to quote the Greek and bring in style points, or whether it was just comprehension.

Think you mean Latin, but it was definitely just comprehension. Style points could be adapted to comprehension style answers - I put that Euryalus was compared to a flower, showing his beauty and elegance in death - but four points was really asking a lot.

On the specification list we were given, the irregular (I think?) noun types were basileus, polis, soma and teixos. We didn't get a list of all nouns required for GCSE which were irregular though.

Hmmm - I know the rest - they are given to me in my grammar booklet, just not teixos. By the way, gune (woman), neavias (young man), Zeus (Zeus), aner (man), pater (father) and naus (ship) are all irregular too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending