The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Grade boundary for an A?
I think it will be low
Reply 322
Last year needed 85 for an A, and I think this year's was much harder despite a lot of people on here saying otherwise. Maybe 80 for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
Last year needed 85 for an A, and I think this year's was much harder despite a lot of people on here saying otherwise. Maybe 80 for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I was thinking, maybe even a little lower
Original post by Randomer98
You wouldn't be able to resit AS but you would be able to resit A2

Curses
Original post by Studious_Student
You can't resit this spec again, you would have to do all of the new spec from scratch. :'(

-_- Damnit

How does it work though, I thought the new AS don't count towards your final mark?
Original post by soLit
Hate to break this ...

They ignore partial charges UNLESS they are incorrect. If they are wrong, they penalise you.

I didnt include any lol i just forgot
[QUOTE=AngryRedhead;65674039]-_- Damnit

How does it work though, I thought the new AS don't count towards your final mark?

Yes it doesn't but unlike the legacy papers there's no more CHEM1 and 2, it's inorganic and organic papers (something like that) so you can't just Resit a unit anymore as the content is now divided so you'd basically have to do the whole course again :frown:
Original post by Bsg.01
I did the same mistake 😬

So you did 702/3? Instead of 702/2 :'(

I feel these silly mistakes bro, on the half equations for iodine I only included one electron so messed up the whole equation:frown: only reallsed after I left the exam

Guys you know that half equation question and you had to form a equation from your previous two parts, does it matter one of your previous parts was wrong as long as you formed a correct equation from the two you wrote? I know it's a bit weird and only 1 mark but still wondering
Original post by Hasib98
Yes it doesn't but unlike the legacy papers there's no more CHEM1 and 2, it's inorganic and organic papers (something like that) so you can't just Resit a unit anymore as the content is now divided so you'd basically have to do the whole course again :frown:

But is the spec similar to the legacy spec? It looks quite similar in terms of content
[QUOTE=AngryRedhead;65674889]But is the spec similar to the legacy spec? It looks quite similar in terms of content

It is similar deffo cos it's still AS equivalent so they have to test you on content similar to what everyone else is tested on but despite that some things are not included that we have studied and vice versa so I think that's why it's not available to merge legacy and new spec qualifications as it would be unfair
Reply 331
Original post by girl :D
I didnt include any lol i just forgot

Neither did I! :smile:

You don't have to
Don't worry about this exam guys - make sure you smash unit 4 and 5 and you'll be fine :smile:
Crap for the infrared identify the bond and the functional group I think you had to write BOTH O-H and alcohols
Original post by Asyes
For compound A and B i wrote the formula for butan-1-ol and butan-2-ol. Will i still get the marks? I mean i am techniqually identifying the coumpound. Btw u can resit this spec but u need to do it as an external canditate. U won't have college but u need to go college for the exam dates. Also for the electrophilic addition u just needed to go to the carbocation part, because that is the intermediate. It only asked used the mechanism to make the intermediate.

Hi,

Am afraid your wrong - it said outline the mechanism for propene and H2SO4 you had to form the hydrogen sulphate product formed after the usual h2so4 mechanism - and then the step 2 it said they then added water to that to form propan-2-ol so you needed the complete h2so4 mechanism and had to identify that the reaction proceeds through carbocations and that secondary carbocation which was more stable than the primary one formed by propan 1 ol

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can still resit units 1 and 2. Have a look at AQA's timetable for June 2017. They have a one called CHEM1 (resit only) and CHEM2 (resit only) on the same days as the new spec chemistry AS exams
Reply 336
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
Hi,

Am afraid your wrong - it said outline the mechanism for propene and H2SO4 you had to form the hydrogen sulphate product formed after the usual h2so4 mechanism - and then the step 2 it said they then added water to that to form propan-2-ol so you needed the complete h2so4 mechanism and had to identify that the reaction proceeds through carbocations and that secondary carbocation which was more stable than the primary one formed by propan 1 ol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea ur right, that means i only completed half of the mechanism, so i should only lose 2 marks. Everything else i wrote the same as u
Reply 337
Original post by senpaipoppy
You can still resit units 1 and 2. Have a look at AQA's timetable for June 2017. They have a one called CHEM1 (resit only) and CHEM2 (resit only) on the same days as the new spec chemistry AS exams

Yep ur correct, like i said ppl u can resit it. All my teachers for biology, chemistry and psychology have said the same( AQA examboard). U just need to come back as an external candidate.

Btw i think i will lose around 17 marks, i hope to get an A. it should be like 80/100, i am sure it is. Honestly when i was looking at this thread, i noticed like 10 marks worth of silly mistakes. Honestly, it was easier to lose marks in this paper, since the questions were so long and was easy to misread it. The grade boundaries will be lower, even if only resits are taking this paper.
Original post by senpaipoppy

Is this 100% certain because all the centres I've contacted thus far said I couldn't
Just curious which centres have you already tried for so i know not to try them lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest