The Student Room Group

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME Edexcel Maths Calculator paper 09/06/2016

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't this use the halfway point to decide which way to go, same as those who wrote 3.8 did?

Original post by Ikilliloot
Bro your 100% right the answer is 3.7, not 3.8 this proves it, on this trial and improvement question, question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/2hjune2012ans.pdf

Like you 3.7 is closer because when you take away the number from ti, it's closer than 3.8.

People that thinks the answer is 3.8 is wrong lol.
where is the mark Scheme for foundation paper
Can you get the actual worked out solutions of the exam paper for this exam?
Original post by DrPeter
This could be an exam question "What is wrong with this questionnaire?"

Answer: No "Greater than 169"

True haha- I can't bear the thought of them being that high!
Lol i dont' remember the comment section is suppose to be a english lesson when we are talking about maths lol. So what i can put "your" if i want lol, i'm typing care.

You said I was wrong in quite an abrupt way, criticising my maths and you didn't even use the correct grammar to do so. Take the defeat graciously and learn from it. Mistakes are beneficial if we use them as a learning opportunity. Good luck for your English results too!
Original post by MissBdaviesMaths
You said I was wrong in quite an abrupt way, criticising my maths and you didn't even use the correct grammar to do so. Take the defeat graciously and learn from it. Mistakes are beneficial if we use them as a learning opportunity. Good luck for your English results too!

I think I got 166- any chance of an a*? Please be honest
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I think I got 166- any chance of an a*? Please be honest

Everyone on here is saying the exam was "easy" - but I know a lot of people who struggled with it so I would say yes....but don't take my word for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Name taken
For the last question I can't remember exactly what I did at the start but I split the triangle into two which gave me two right angled triangles. I was then able to use Pythagoras to find out the missing lengths then the cosine rule to find out the angle for each triangle which I added together at the end. Would this still not be relevant?

Apologies for delay.

Finding the angle (using absinC/2) followed by trigonometry, pythagoras, subtraction and trigonometry followed by adding the angles together is a ridiculously, long-winded and brilliantly way of doing it, well done !!!
Lol i dont' remember the comment section is suppose to be a english lesson when we are talking about maths lol. So what i can put "your" if i want lol, i'm typing care.

You can stop saying "lol"now.
Reply 2209
For the last question, how many marks do you think I would get for working out up to 40 degrees? 1 mark or 2?
]Guys i wrote 9.25 bot 9.25cm will i get peanalised on the premieter question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2211
Original post by legend.786
]Guys i wrote 9.25 bot 9.25cm will i get peanalised on the premieter question

Posted from TSR Mobile

no because x was not measured in cm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avin101agiggle
1465633305891-1784222836.jpg
i shouldn't be doing this so early on a saturday

you dont round based on the closest value lol
Reply 2213
Original post by Nightly
you dont round based on the closest value lol

who says? this rule is taught in many schools including mine. i used this rule in every past paper and mock and real exam and got it right. so there is no determined method for trial and improvement. the answer may well have been 3.8 or 3.7, but thats not to say this method is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
who says? this rule is taught in many schools including mine. i used this rule in every past paper and mock and real exam and got it right. so there is no determined method for trial and improvement. the answer may well have been 3.8 or 3.7, but thats not to say this method is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

IF x = 3.7 and it is too small and x = 3.75 and that is also too small, that means the answer has to be above that to 1.dp which is 3.8
I worried that putting cm in q3 might lose me a mark. Hopefully it doesnt matter either way.
If the 3.7 way is taught, and so is the 3.8 way, then fingers crossed everyone who showed working will get the marks no matter which value they chose.
Reply 2217
Original post by Nightly
IF x = 3.7 and it is too small and x = 3.75 and that is also too small, that means the answer has to be above that to 1.dp which is 3.8

well thats the point i dont know what theyll be like when it comes to marking. i agree with you but i still believe it could be either. remember in bounds questions where the upper bound of 3.7 to 2dp was 3.75? thats where this comes to play. however i dont think it would be this complicated. in previous mark schemes both methods have been credited so seeing as one returns one value and the other another, technically both answers will be credited. but we will never know until an OFFICIAL mark scheme is published. good luck in your results hope you got the grade you wanted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2218
Original post by Moonbunny
I worried that putting cm in q3 might lose me a mark. Hopefully it doesnt matter either way.

it wont. x is not measured in units. hence why diagrams normally say x cm and not just x. the question was too complex to be 3 marks with units anyway. for the non calc, you were given 3 marks for multiplying and units, but in this paper you actually had to solve an equation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
well thats the point i dont know what theyll be like when it comes to marking. i agree with you but i still believe it could be either. remember in bounds questions where the upper bound of 3.7 to 2dp was 3.75? thats where this comes to play. however i dont think it would be this complicated. in previous mark schemes both methods have been credited so seeing as one returns one value and the other another, technically both answers will be credited. but we will never know until an OFFICIAL mark scheme is published. good luck in your results hope you got the grade you wanted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to ALWAYS apply the same method you do and see which is closer and I would ALWAYS lose a mark doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending