The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Maths Competition Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Does anybody have a nice solution to BMO1 2007/8 question 1? I used algebra but got stuck
Original post by ben167
Does anybody have a nice solution to BMO1 2007/8 question 1? I used algebra but got stuck

Algebra is the way to go. It should work out nicely tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by physicsmaths
Algebra is the way to go. It should work out nicely tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but i got to a stage where it stopped working because I needed to find out 2007^4 which is huge
Reply 103
@physicsmaths how would you solve it?
Original post by ben167
I know but i got to a stage where it stopped working because I needed to find out 2007^4 which is huge

Let n=2007 then do the algebraic division to get a quadratic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Signing up to this for summer. Wanna get good at problem solving before I go to uni cause atm I'm shocking, didn't even qualify for BMO :lol:
a fun geo question. Latex is screwed anyway so i'm too lazy to fix it
Given a triangle $ABC$ satisfying $AC+BC=3\cdot AB$. The incircle of triangle $ABC$ has center $I$ and touches the sides $BC$ and $CA$ at the points $D$ and $E$, respectively. Let $K$ and $L$ be the reflections of the points $D$ and $E$ with respect to $I$. Prove that the points $A$, $B$, $K$, $L$ lie on one circle.
Reply 107
Could anyone check that its x=0 y=1 and x=3 y=-4 as the solutions to bmo1 1987 question 1. Many thanks
ok another one
find the number of solutions to y2=x3(x25000)y^2 = x^3(x^2-5000) where x,yZpx,y \in \mathbb{Z}_p and p is a prime congruent to 3 mod 4.
Reply 109
I feel like I am solving most of the geometry problems using trig is that looked down upon like calculus in olympiads?
Original post by 11234
I feel like I am solving most of the geometry problems using trig is that looked down upon like calculus in olympiads?

Nah it aint looked down upon. Its looked at better then coordinate bashes and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Original post by physicsmaths
Nah it aint looked down upon. Its looked at better then coordinate bashes and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But i find doing it by pure euclidean is the hardest
Original post by 11234
But i find doing it by pure euclidean is the hardest

give an example
Reply 113
Original post by gasfxekl
give an example

Like using constructions and similar triangles and stuff
Original post by 11234
Like using constructions and similar triangles and stuff

practice is key.
Reply 115
practice is key.

I know do you have any geometry questions you would be happy to share. Sorry I couldnt understand the previous geometry question you posted without latex
Btw guys Irish Mathematical Olympiads is another massive source of questions at the exact level of BMO1/2 so you can do thos if you run out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11234
I know do you have any geometry questions you would be happy to share. Sorry I couldnt understand the previous geometry question you posted without latex

lol dw that ones kinda hard
idk bmo has a lot of nice geometry questions. how much do you know about cyclic quadrilaterals etc?
Reply 118
lol dw that ones kinda hard
idk bmo has a lot of nice geometry questions. how much do you know about cyclic quadrilaterals etc?

ptolemys theorem and that the opposite angles add to 180
Original post by 11234
ptolemys theorem and that the opposite angles add to 180

okay
some other useful stuff is angle bisector theorem and angles subtended on the same arc but im sure you know that already
okay try this one
in a quadrilateral ABCD where BC//AD the diagonals intersect in P. the circumcircles of ABP and CPD intersect AD in S and T respectively. Let the midpoint of ST be MM. Show that MB=MC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending