The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tcameron
with alkaline hydrolysis of esters, will only the carbonyl group gain the negative charge or will the hydroxyl group gain a negative charge as well\?

It's the hydroxyl group that becomes negatively charged to form a carboxylate ion?

IMG_20160611_155321067.jpg
Original post by Serine Soul
It's the hydroxyl group that becomes negatively charged to form a carboxylate ion?

IMG_20160611_155321067.jpg

sorry don't think I was clear enough - I mean if a molecule has an ester group which is hydrolysed and also another hydroxyl group on the same molecule
So the hydroxyl group of the ester which has broken up and gain the Na+ but would the other OH group on the same molecule gain a Na+ as well?
sorry don't think I was clear enough - I mean if a molecule has an ester group which is hydrolysed and also another hydroxyl group on the same molecule
So the hydroxyl group of the ester which has broken up and gain the Na+ but would the other OH group on the same molecule gain a Na+ as well?

No, not unless the hydroxyl group is attached to a benzene ring (phenol) :smile:
No, not unless the hydroxyl group is attached to a benzene ring (phenol) :smile:

ohhh so if it was a phenol it would gain a Na+ aswell even if it doesn't say the NaOH was in excess?
I saw this on a question I was doing and the extra OH was on a phenol
ohhh so if it was a phenol it would gain a Na+ aswell even if it doesn't say the NaOH was in excess?
I saw this on a question I was doing and the extra OH was on a phenol

Yeah, I think so

What was the answer?

And phenols are able to react with Na and NaOH, but not Na2CO3 :smile:
Original post by TrentAlistar
Its definitely gonna be that hard. In 2013 the exam board got reviewed and they complained that the chemistry exams are too predictable and there are too many people getting high marks so they are mixing it up a bit. The only papers that are gonna be any reflection of what its gonna be like this year are June 14 and 15.

Don't panic. Look at reaction mechanisms that aren't on the specification but count as application of knowledge.Just check you understand them. If it comes up then you've already seen it and you can reel them off.
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechmenu.html#top

Look at these NMR Qs
Particularly the hardest ones.
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/ocr-chemistry-f324-module-3-nmr-practice-questions-6259747

maybe mess around with spectrum simulator at http://www.nmrdb.org/ Draw in a compound and test whether you can guess the number and position of peaks of h and C13 before you look. I think it's gonna be an alkene or an amide this year(maybe even a triglyceride or an azo dye). Everything else has come up.

Also, there are little tidbits in the book that might get examined. Like shorthand notation of fatty acids. Why substitution occurs and addition doesn't in benzene rings. Bonding in carbonyls. Basically, anything you haven't seen before is likely to come up as its last year of examination on this spec.

Hope that helps.

Some very good ideas suggested here !

I also highly recommend reviewing your AS work because they will include some synoptic reactions e.g. elimination/dehydration of alcohols. Just look at a few F322 past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I think so

What was the answer?

And phenols are able to react with Na and NaOH, but not Na2CO3 :smile:

just to write the equation when OH- is added to a molecule which was containing an ester bond and a phenol
Hi does anyone have an f324 2015 attachment please I remember failing it for my mock :smile:
just to write the equation when OH- is added to a molecule which was containing an ester bond and a phenol

Ah, in that case, Na+ isn't involved at all, a carboxylate ion and alcohol is formed
Original post by Yellowdiamond15
Hi does anyone have an f324 2015 attachment please I remember failing it for my mock :smile:

Just look on the last page
Last year's paper was actually hard... It had the questions I essentially failed on in my mocks lol
help with question C please?
Just look on the last page

Last year's paper was actually hard... It had the questions I essentially failed on in my mocks lol

Thank you, it was really hard especially the back page I'm normally okay with analysis questions but I left it blank
pretty much me right now...
Reply 754

You want a repeating sequence with the right proportions of each monomer.

When polymerising, H must be next to F or G because H contains two -OH groups and each of F and G contains two -COOH groups. You know that the proportion of F and G in the polymer is approximately equal, therefore your chain goes something like: -G-H-F-H-G-H-F-
Can someone please explain to me why substitution reactions occur in Benzene but addition reactions do not?
Original post by Hyelni_x
Can someone please explain to me why substitution reactions occur in Benzene but addition reactions do not?

Benzene has a pi-cloud of delocalised electrons above and below the plane (low electron density) and so cannot polarise/induce a dipole in electrophiles (in terms of electrophilic substitution)

I think that answers it?
Reply 758
Original post by marioman
When polymerising, H must be next to F or G because H contains two -OH groups and each of F and G contains two -COOH groups. You know that the proportion of F and G in the polymer is approximately equal, therefore your chain goes something like: -G-H-F-H-G-H-F-

not equal, 25% f, 25% g, 50% h.

so it's be something like -F-H-G-H- as one example. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending