The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4720
Original post by yung7up
Will we ever be asked explanations of how video games affect behavior e.g. the GAM and desensitization. I've learnt them but i haven't come across a question using it

No.
Original post by NHM
No :-( although I suppose a few ethics and correlations won't hurt... But be aware you may not get marks!

what if i wrote this for example:
However,life events as a psychological explanation of sz may have a place when combinedwith the biological explanation as it suggests that there may be adiathesis-stress relationship where a biological predisposition only triggersschizophrenia if other stressors (such as stressful life events) are present ina person’s life. Tienari used 164 Finnish adoptees whose biological mothers hadbeen diagnosed with schizophrenia and found that 7% had received the samediagnosis as opposed to 2% in a control group. However this only emerged insituations where the adopted family was rated as ‘disturbed’, which counts asthe appropriate stressor. Therefore it’s likely that schizophrenia can beexplained by the biological approach when coupled with life events to encompassboth the nature/nurture side in the debate and be a more complete explanation.
Reply 4722
Original post by Hihihi123
what if i wrote this for example:
However,life events as a psychological explanation of sz may have a place when combinedwith the biological explanation as it suggests that there may be adiathesis-stress relationship where a biological predisposition only triggersschizophrenia if other stressors (such as stressful life events) are present ina person’s life. Tienari used 164 Finnish adoptees whose biological mothers hadbeen diagnosed with schizophrenia and found that 7% had received the samediagnosis as opposed to 2% in a control group. However this only emerged insituations where the adopted family was rated as ‘disturbed’, which counts asthe appropriate stressor. Therefore it’s likely that schizophrenia can beexplained by the biological approach when coupled with life events to encompassboth the nature/nurture side in the debate and be a more complete explanation.

That'd be fine
Original post by NHM
That'd be fine

Are you sure? I'm really worried about it...
Original post by Lucytal
Does anyone know what the grade boundries for unit 4 are like? Hoping they're as low as unit 3 ahhh

The year before was quite low but it went up last year by 6marks -.-

Loopa had the grade boundaries and he compares them with the previous years
But are we allowed to take a calculator? Or is it not allowed?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Impossibear
But are we allowed to take a calculator? Or is it not allowed?

No, because you can calculate all the answers and cheat otherwise

obviously
Any question predictions for schizophrenia?
Should we expect that which was on the stolen paper to come up this year?

I just hope methods isn't a "design a study" question...
HELP ME PLSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Is there a limit to the amount of marks available per explanation/ therapy? For example if a question asked to outline and evaluate 2 psychological therapies of schizophrenia, is there a maximum limit to the number of marks that may be awarded per therapy ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Ao2 for cognitive explanations of schizophrenia? Also are social factors (expressed emotion, double blind theory) a psychological explanation too?
Reply 4730
Original post by kanelynne
Ao2 for cognitive explanations of schizophrenia? Also are social factors (expressed emotion, double blind theory) a psychological explanation too?

Yes.
Reply 4731
Original post by ubiquitousking
Any question predictions for schizophrenia?
Should we expect that which was on the stolen paper to come up this year?

I just hope methods isn't a "design a study" question...

Lmao- I actually enjoy them... But if you don't know how to do them sort of questions it can pull you down :/
does anyone have any research studies for the elaboration likelihood model and the hovland yale model?
Reply 4733
Original post by Alisahussain1
HELP ME PLSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Is there a limit to the amount of marks available per explanation/ therapy? For example if a question asked to outline and evaluate 2 psychological therapies of schizophrenia, is there a maximum limit to the number of marks that may be awarded per therapy ?

No effectively you can get the full marks by outlining and evaluating 1... although the examiner like breadth.
are there any predictions for phobias?
Reply 4735
Original post by poisondarts
does anyone have any research studies for the elaboration likelihood model and the hovland yale model?

I'm confused to where these even come in haha? Like do you just stick them there 😂
yep! :smile:
Hey guys, just a quick question about the unit 3 exam and then I need to get over it because it's now saturday! In the biological explanations of anorexia question i did all my a01 and then all my a02 afterwards? Would i get marked down for this? Like instead of explaining one explanation and evaluating it, and then moving on, I just wrote all the explanations, and then all the evaluation? So I did neural mechanisms, neurodevelopment and reproductive suppression hypothesis. And then support for serotonin, dopamine, neurodevelopment, challenge for dopamine, and a couple of IDA's about the evolutionary explanation being reductionist and studies focusing too much on women? Is this really badddddd? :frown:
Original post by NHM
No effectively you can get the full marks by outlining and evaluating 1... although the examiner like breadth.

but on mark schemes it says:

A01
'Students who cover one explanation are showing partialperformance and can be awarded up to 5 marks.'

A02
'Because evaluation can be generic, partial performance criteria do not apply.'

So does that mean if i write one explanation and out line and evaluate it and then only write A01 for the other explanation, i could potentially get full marks?
Original post by kanelynne

To your second question, yes.
For AO2....

Supervisory Attention System
Frith and Done:
Found that the experimental group (ppts who had schizophrenia with negative symptoms) made either irrelevant or repeated response; sometimes not writing anything.

The inability to consistently create self-generated thoughts showed poverty of speech (schiz symptom) and volition when they did nothing. [Add evaluation for the theory]

Central Monitoring System
Bentall:
Found that schizophrenic patients with hallucinations could not determine whether they originally came up with a list or whether it was made up.
(They were asked to make lists of items a week earlier. The following week they were asked to determine if the list read out was made by them)
Suggesting a link between schizophrenic hallucinations and memory deficiency, an inability to determine the source of [the list]. Supporting the CMS

General Issue with the above studies
Ppts were on drugs. The side effect of the drugs may have influenced the results

General Evaluation
Park:
Found that Working memory deficits in people with schizophrenia were also present in their first-degree relatives who didn't have schizophrenia
(This one might be confusing... I've tried to simplify it. It basically suggests that the cognitive deficits contribute to Schizophrenia but a trigger is required to fully develop it)

Diathesis-Stress Model
Cognitive deficits alone cannot explain the development of schizophrenia. The genetic vulnerability leads to a biochemical imbalance (dopamine hypothesis) which causes the cognitive deficits but a trigger is needed for an individual to develop schizophrenia. Therefore the cognitive approach alone is insufficient.

That's most (like 90%) of what I've got... it's 100% of what I'll use with some more psychological explanations for 24 marks

Latest

Trending

Trending