The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by marioman
Unlikely based on the boundaries for the old specification.

Based on the old spec, the highest grade boundary for an A was 83%. That would make ours 116/140 for an A if the HIGHEST ever grade boundary is used. The lowest I think is 78%.
Original post by SGHD26716
Based on the old spec, the highest grade boundary for an A was 83%. That would make ours 116/140 for an A if the HIGHEST ever grade boundary is used. The lowest I think is 78%.

what do you think it'll be this time
Original post by asinghj
I think the simple definitions would be enough, so I wrote
sigma bond is direct overlap of orbitals and pi bond is sideways overlap of p orbitals

Possibly, although I would have suggested writing a bit more given the number of marks available, and the explicit mention of difference between the 2 bonds.

by 'direct' - I think it would have been better to describe where the electron density is centred i.e in a line directly between the 2 bonding atoms
Original post by apparently_anerd
Considering many private schools are doing internal exams this year and many of these schools often achieve a considerable percentage (clearly not all) of the A grades in AS subjects each year, (with the added aspect of the more difficult new specification) does anyone think this could impact grade boundaries causing them to be lower??

but many state schools are doing internal exams too? hope they are low though. 75% for an A would be great
Original post by apparently_anerd
Considering many private schools are doing internal exams this year and many of these schools often achieve a considerable percentage (clearly not all) of the A grades in AS subjects each year, (with the added aspect of the more difficult new specification) does anyone think this could impact grade boundaries causing them to be lower??

Probably not, the relative difficulty of the paper compared to previous papers (well, compared to the legacy papers in this case) affects the grade boundaries more than the ability of the candidates sitting it.
Original post by asinghj
I got something*10^-4. If you didn't draw the final product but dos everything then that should be 5/6.

Thank goodness. That secondary carbocation just confused me so i just ignored it
Original post by ronnydandam
for the last question, I ended up getting butanoic acid but my method was really weird and I used 89 instead of 88 etc, would I still get 4/6 marks for getting to that conclusion or no, is method looked at a lot?

The spec specifically says that the small peak after the MW peak is due to 13C
Original post by 4nonymous
The question said draw the mechanism for the formation of one of the products. then it said explain which one is most likely to form. There was nothing that said draw the other. I'm pretty certain because originally I was going to draw both but after reading it like 5 times there was nothing that said draw both so I didn't.

Should have read 6 times. Proof is right next to me.
Reply 1268
Original post by ronnydandam
what do you think it'll be this time

Hopefully around 107-109
Reply 1269
Original post by TeachChemistry

How do you have the paper?
Original post by 4nonymous
OK cool, then if you're right I'll happily admit I was wrong

Happily?
How do you have the paper?

Read my username
Do you have the Biology mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1273
Read my username

I know I'm asking for quite a lot but is it possible for you to tell me the mark for each question. You don't have to but I'll be grateful.

Also in your opinion what do you think the grade boundary could be considering you are a teacher?

Thanks
I know I'm asking for quite a lot but is it possible for you to tell me the mark for each question. You don't have to but I'll be grateful.

Also in your opinion what do you think the grade boundary could be considering you are a teacher?

Thanks

Sorry no I am not prepared to give that info out

I think grade boundaries will be fairly high. My students were very happy with the paper and I thought it was pretty fair.
Reply 1275
Sorry no I am not prepared to give that info out

I think grade boundaries will be fairly high. My students were very happy with the paper and I thought it was pretty fair.

Thanks. By high would you say 80%
Original post by GeorgiaC901
Do you have the Biology mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nobody except the exam board has this.
Thanks. By high would you say 80%

Probably.
Happily?

Yes I will admit it if I'm wrong.

Show me the proof then.
Its not hard to take a pic of the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending