The Student Room Group

Accidentally plagiarised my A level coursework

jdsdks
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you sign the sheet saying I agree and accept bla bla bla that this work is of my creation or something like that?
What do you mean by plagiarised version? You mean you copued an essay you have previously submitted or it contained non credited work of others?
How long has it been sent? Has your teacher marked it? Why didnt you check what version you were sending? One problem is that if the work is withdrawn you have missed the deadline to submit anything else. See what teacher says on Monday.

Imo whether or not you sign anything, there is still the issue of submitting work that isnt your own.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bulletzone
Did you sign the sheet saying I agree and accept bla bla bla that this work is of my creation or something like that?

djfkndg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
What do you mean by plagiarised version? You mean you copued an essay you have previously submitted or it contained non credited work of others?
How long has it been sent? Has your teacher marked it? Why didnt you check what version you were sending? One problem is that if the work is withdrawn you have missed the deadline to submit anything else. See what teacher says on Monday.

Imo whether or not you sign anything, there is still the issue of submitting work that isnt your own.

mfdg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymousstuden
It's been about a month now. It contained an article online. My teacher has marked it. My work was chosen for selection randomly.

Both your responsibility im afraid. How come you have only discovered this now?
what was your mark?
Both your responsibility im afraid. How come you have only discovered this now?
what was your mark?

fdm,
(edited 7 years ago)
No, but I think my teacher signed it.

It's been about a month now. It contained an article online. My teacher has marked it. My work was chosen for selection randomly.

Open this PDF of a typical A-level Literature Candidate form

If you didn't sign the area where it states you should, then you shall be alright, however if you did then :redface:
It was an A from my teacher, I don't know if the examiners have marked it yet though.

My thoughts would be you have had a month, got an A, but only pointed out the plagiarism because you were selected for checking. Cant really advise except speak to your school. No idea if you can withdraw work.

If you didn't sign the area where it states you should, then you shall be alright, however if you did then :redface:

fdjmfd
(edited 7 years ago)

Ehilst the declaration makes it clear, they have still submitted plagiarised work. Will disagree with you about the significance of that.
I did not sign it but it was sent off anyway. What are the consequences of this? It's an WJEC exam and the other subjects I take are AQA. I'm in my second year and am hoping to go to university.

Don't worry its WJEC their technology is way out of date.
Original post by Xenon17

gfd
(edited 7 years ago)
Ehilst the declaration makes it clear, they have still submitted plagiarised work. Will disagree with you about the significance of that.

According to the OP, the work was just a "Template" for their actual CA piece.
If the student didn't sign it and they dropped his/her grade because of plagiarism; I'm sure you could argue you'r way out of it,but I may be mistaken.
Original post by Xenon17

why cnat they just use a version of handitin? Surely plagiarism checking software is standard?
If the student didn't sign it and they dropped his/her grade because of plagiarism; I'm sure you could argue you'r way out of it,but I may be mistaken.

gf
(edited 7 years ago)

They have a responsibility that you hand in work of your own, signed sheet or not. On the basis they accept it was an error, then they have missed the deadline to hand any coursework in. Alternatively the JCQ guidellines take it seriously, hence the only advice is the op needs to speak to their teacher first thing Monday.
They have a responsibility that you hand in work of your own, signed sheet or not. On the basis they accept it was an error, then they have missed the deadline to hand any coursework in. Alternatively the JCQ guidellines take it seriously, hence the only advice is the op needs to speak to their teacher first thing Monday.

The OPs only good outcome comes from not doing anything at this moment because all deadlines have been missed and admitting to this even if due to error will mean disqualification. His/her best bet is to not do anything. Also written work is also difficult to check for plagiarism than typed out work.
Original post by Xenon17
The OPs only good outcome comes from not doing anything at this moment because all deadlines have been missed and admitting to this even if due to error will mean disqualification. His/her best bet is to not do anything. Also written work is also difficult to check for plagiarism than typed out work.

Well its a gamble. They have already made the teacher aware who is now under a duty to report this to the exam board.

Doing nothing is the difference between getting barred for withdrawing their work compared to being found guilty of direct plagiarism. Also there was a thread a few weeks ago where something similar was found, it was spotted, they believed she hadnt tried to cheat, but she got a 0. They believed her.

Cant say im convinced with this one. It should be obvious to the examiners why theres a big chunk of plagiarised text there. Cant ccomment becayse cant see it.

Quick Reply

Latest