The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poisondarts
does anyone have any research studies for the elaboration likelihood model and the hovland yale model?

ELM
Agostine and Grube:
Most successful anti-drinking campaigns involved celebrities
Therefore drinkers took the peripheral route and the status/personal significance of celebrities lead to persuasion
[Add practical use to the question]

Snyder
High Self-Monitors persuaded by Soft Sell ads
Low Self-Monitors persuaded by Hard Sell ads
Therefore if the target audience is less confident people, then soft sell tactics can be used

Haghtvedt
High NC --> focus on product detail
Low NC --> focus on peripheral cues
Supporting the ELM

H-Y Model
Hovland and Weiss
Arguments are more persuasive if the speaker appears knowledgeable, supporting the role of the speak [add practical application relevant to question]

Leventhal
Persuasion was made more likely if moderate levels of fear was aroused. [Add practical application e.g. anti-drinking or anti-smoking ads]

Just a few examples.
I feel like evolutionary explanations of celebrity will come up
Reply 4742
Original post by yung7up
I feel like evolutionary explanations of celebrity will come up

I'm not relying on you and your dreams anymore haha - nah got a feeling it will be stalking :/
Original post by yung7up
Just revising cue cards and studies as most of the questions are short in media

Yeah thats what I was doing, whats our max mark in media??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BethM98
looool literally me i have no idea :/ they havent asked questions like that recently so fingers crossed it wont happen but who knowsss

There are two types of design questions in the research section. It can be design a consent form or a set of standardised instructions which is usually worth 5 marks or design a study or experiment which is usually worth 10 marks and
Original post by NHM
I'm not relying on you and your dreams anymore haha - nah got a feeling it will be stalking :/

Hahaha nah this wasnt a dream just feel like its overdue - i feel like they've overused celebrity stalking hope it doesn't come up
Original post by skytrenfield

Posted from TSR Mobile

24 just like schizophrenia
Reply 4747
Original post by yung7up
Hahaha nah this wasnt a dream just feel like its overdue - i feel like they've overused celebrity stalking hope it doesn't come up

That's the thing with U4 they love repeating the same ****...
Original post by skytrenfield

Posted from TSR Mobile

10 realistically

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there is a question asking about the negative effects of video games as a 12 marker, do you just list the studies ? I don't get it
Original post by mosahra
If there is a question asking about the negative effects of video games as a 12 marker, do you just list the studies ? I don't get it

I'm pretty sure it's just half of a 24 marker. You write it the same as you would write a normal essay structure wise, just with half the amount of content.
Anyone have an answer for Psychological explanations of the attraction of celebrity?
Do you need to know research support/evaluation for research methods? I didn't think you did but I saw some in some notes so I'm confused.
Original post by wickedisgood
I'm pretty sure it's just half of a 24 marker. You write it the same as you would write a normal essay structure wise, just with half the amount of content.

Yeah but theres not much to write other than using studies?
Do we need to know the effects of pro social media? Eg. Altruism?

Also - how many explanations of media influence do we need to know for pro and anti social?
Reply 4755
How many studies per q are you learning for media??
Original post by mosahra
Yeah but theres not much to write other than using studies?

Idk then? To be honest I haven't gone over that in a while, I'm doing it tomorrow lol.
I'd just say make basic AO1 points like 'it has been suggested that video games can desensitise you' and then jump into making the most of the studies and fleshing those out.
If we're seeing a 12 marker as half of a 24 marker, AO1 is only 4 marks anyway, so it really doesn't need to be much.
Reply 4757
Original post by lucywebb123
Do we need to know the effects of pro social media? Eg. Altruism?

Also - how many explanations of media influence do we need to know for pro and anti social?

2 explanations then can ask for one explanation or explanationS. Learn two to be safe
Anyone planning to conclude their essays?
Also could you use SSRIs and MAOIs as two different biological therapies or do they come under "Drug therapy"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Early start for me tomorrow πŸ˜ͺ Gonna have to do some major psychology revision 😭 Haven't done any psychology in two days πŸ™„πŸ˜‘
Too focused on bio and Chem

Anyone else have chemistry on the same day as psychology?