The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeachChemistry
No

Initial rate of reaction decreases in first 200 seconds since less particles per unit volume hence frequency of effective collisions decreases?
Original post by ronnydandam
Initial rate of reaction decreases in first 200 seconds since less particles per unit volume hence frequency of effective collisions decreases?

Surely there is only one 'initial rate of reaction' and it has one value.
Surely there is only one 'initial rate of reaction' and it has one value.

Yeah I mean rate. For that 2 marker about why it decreases in first 200 secs
Yeah I mean rate. For that 2 marker about why it decreases in first 200 secs

Then you are likely to get the marks.
Then you are likely to get the marks.

Cheers, sorry for all the questions
Cheers, sorry for all the questions

No problem. As it's a forum it's up to me whether I answer anyway. :smile:
Could someone tell me if what i have done is right and the amount of marks i would get:

1) For the first 6 marker i talked about electrophillic addition fully drew a diagram and referred to carbocation stability (alkyl groups) and said how this could lead to a more likely product to be formed.

2) Not sure if this is right but drew a line across the point it asked and worked out gradient by subtracting the y value by 0 and dividing it by the x value minus 0.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hashman
when you name the molecule doesnt the bromo come before the methyl and when there are 2 methyls isnt it dimethyl because i got something like that

Technically yes, because it goes in alphabetical order, but I knew what he meant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please feel free to stalk my previous posts and prove yourself incorrect. Goodbye.

That's not proof. Students have been saying the same thing. And why would a teacher be on a thread like this anyways? Have you not got anything else to do?
Happy?

No, I'd like to see the question, then I'd be happy
Yawn. Get back to me on 18th August.

Why should I get back to you? What's my grade to you? And how does that answer what the question asked?
Original post by 4nonymous
Why should I get back to you? What's my grade to you? And how does that answer what the question asked?

He posted a pic of the paper. Call it a day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MsDanderson
He posted a pic of the paper. Call it a day

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I would like to know what the question said. He comes in to the forum being rude to me for no reason so why should I call it a day. If I was wrong then so what. He didn't have to go off on one

hey

would we still get 2 out of 3 marks if we draw an incorrect tangent but use change in Y over change X to get the gradient for the rates question?

And for the experiment question I wrote something like:
place container and contents on mass balance and start timer and keep noting down mass after every 30 seconds and do it for 10 mins but make sure it is calibrated beforehand and then do 3 repeats and find mean average mass lost and then use that to find mean average rate of reaction? How many out of 3 marks do you think I have got? Thanks a lot!!

also do you think the boundary will be less than 80% for an A since last year it was 46/60 and 78/100 which is 77.3% and it is new spec and with all content assessed in 1 exam so around 76%? Thank you
Original post by alienz22
also do you think the boundary will be less than 80% for an A since last year it was 46/60 and 78/100 which is 77.3% and it is new spec and with all content assessed in 1 exam so around 76%? Thank you

It is impossible to say. Don't waste time even thinking about this. I, and all of my students, thought the papers were both very fair.
It is impossible to say. Don't waste time even thinking about this. I, and all of my students, thought the papers were both very fair.

just worried that I may just miss out on an A if it's 80%... and I need an A* prediction but yes it is done now and I can't change it
hey

would we still get 2 out of 3 marks if we draw an incorrect tangent but use change in Y over change X to get the gradient for the rates question?

And for the experiment question I wrote something like:
place container and contents on mass balance and start timer and keep noting down mass after every 30 seconds and do it for 10 mins but make sure it is calibrated beforehand and then do 3 repeats and find mean average mass lost and then use that to find mean average rate of reaction? How many out of 3 marks do you think I have got? Thanks a lot!!

There will no doubt be a range for the tangent value. There will be a mark for showing it on the graph.

The question required you to measure the volume of gas evolved. Does your method do this?
just worried that I may just miss out on an A if it's 80%... and I need an A* prediction but yes it is done now and I can't change it

If my student was close to A boundary and I knew they had worked hard all year and thought they had the potential I may still predict A*.
There will no doubt be a range for the tangent value. There will be a mark for showing it on the graph.

The question required you to measure the volume of gas evolved. Does your method do this?

ah that is relieving thank you., although most people did change in Y/200 where as I did change in y/176 cos my tangent, it wasn't 'for the first 200 secs' was it? and nope - only mass lost because because the graph just had seconds and mass - I am guessing I lost 2 marks there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending