The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
Your topic seems harder than ideolgoies loool
Wow

haha, yeah think route D is not the most popular, especially as there are limited resources to study the topic from, and the only textbook available is a first year undergrad global politics text. such fun
Original post by ArcticSlayer
Thanks! I'm hoping on unit 3 that there's some sort of UN question and sovereignty. For unit 4 I think environmental issues and poverty and development are the nicer topics.

No worries. I detest the economic-type topics and I have not fully completed going over environmental issues. I hope something on Human rights comes up.
Original post by i22
those are the topics that he HAS predicted FOR the 45 markers.

Why did you emphasise 'has' and 'for'?? :confused:
Reply 623
Original post by chaotic.school
Well then, I'm all rearing to go for the World Order question. I love predicting questions and prepping so much for them and then for that question to come up!:colondollar:
Actually makes essay writing enjoyable.

me too! i love prepping. i wish i had your motivation! hope you get good grades! :smile:
Does anyone know how many raw marks I need for a D in unit 3 and 4?
I'm actually crapping myself and don't think I'm gonna do too well
Original post by Annie.humair

Check online

What grade are you hoping for?

It varies slightly depending on the exact paper you're doing but generally you need about 48-52 out of 90 to get a C. You shouldn't aim for a D, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Original post by i22
me too! i love prepping. i wish i had your motivation! hope you get good grades! :smile:

Haha, thanks. What are you hoping to get in politics?
Original post by chaotic.school
It varies slightly depending on the exact paper you're doing but generally you need about 48-52 out of 90 to get a C. You shouldn't aim for a D, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm doing political ideologies. Trust me I don't think I can get a D even this year. But hopefully I will so it'll give me a C overall.
Does anyone know how to answer 'to what extent is the new right internally incoherent?'
Thanks in advance
I'm doing political ideologies. Trust me I don't think I can get a D even this year. But hopefully I will so it'll give me a C overall.

aw well, read through all the mark schemes. I've compiled every single 15 marker from both papers into their topics. I just read through them constantly so I prompt myself with point. And... they eventually start to recycle questions and word them differently, so you could be in luck!
Does anyone know how to answer 'to what extent is the new right internally incoherent?'
Thanks in advance

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2226366

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wish our college would let us do the ideologies topic. I could do that like the back of my hand, but American politics was like starting afresh! :angry:
Reply 633
How would one structure this 45 mark question:

To what extent have modern liberals departed from the ideas of classical liberalism?

I understand it's an easy question, but i'm struggling to find 8 points. I've thought of doing atomistic vs developmental individualism, negative vs. positive freedom, laissez faire vs. state welfare and intervention, and equality of opportunity meritocracy vs. helping diasdvantaged. However, a lot of the points overlap.

How would you guys structure it?
Reply 634
Best way to revise for ideologies/USA politics?
Original post by NOP97
Best way to revise for ideologies/USA politics?

Essay plans, and for the strands - if you're struggling to remember it all - summarise their aims, key principles and methods.
Original post by NOP97
How would one structure this 45 mark question:

To what extent have modern liberals departed from the ideas of classical liberalism?

I understand it's an easy question, but i'm struggling to find 8 points. I've thought of doing atomistic vs developmental individualism, negative vs. positive freedom, laissez faire vs. state welfare and intervention, and equality of opportunity meritocracy vs. helping diasdvantaged. However, a lot of the points overlap.

How would you guys structure it?

Firstly, there is no minimum number of points needed in 45 markers (although obviously don't expect to get an A* with one paragraph). The points you've brought up are fine; use the fact that they overlap in your essay e.g. by saying that liberals' belief in a logically leads on to liberals' belief on b due to xyz. It shows that your answer is synoptic, which is key in essays.

Using your points:

Individualism - basic belief is the same (humans are rational but self interested), modern liberals emphasise the altruistic nature more than classical liberals.

Freedom - basic belief is the same (natural right, negative freedom should be practiced in the private sphere), modern liberals believe in positive freedom as a additional necessity in society: it enhances the advantages of negative freedom.

Economy - both are weary of excessive state intervention, believes economic inequality is necessary and in meritocracy. Key difference here is that modern liberals recognise that the classical liberal position of economy isn't necessarily beneficial to everyone and tries to rectify this by Keynesian economics.

Also, you can mention how both strands believe in the mechanistic theory of the state. This argues that modern liberals haven't departed from the ideas of classical liberals at all.

Using this information, with each paragraph you can decide modern liberals have departed from classical liberals' ideas to an extent, in an effort to make classical liberals ideas applicable to a modern world. However, key ideals are the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miacat
Really wish our college would let us do the ideologies topic. I could do that like the back of my hand, but American politics was like starting afresh! :angry:

Would rather do US loool
Reply 638
Original post by xxvine
Would rather do US loool

Am I the only one doing ideologies for unit 3, and America for unit 4? haha
Original post by NOP97
Am I the only one doing ideologies for unit 3, and America for unit 4? haha

Whaaaaat? :eek: Is that possible? Well it seems as though it is, very unusual though. :holmes:

Latest

Trending

Trending