The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people believe in "institutional racism"?

There's no solution in saying "There's racism out there" - how does that solve anything?

Show me a law that is racist in intent and we'll agree. Show me a police officer that commits a racist act, like in South Carolina when a black man was unlawfully shot whilst running away, and we'll agree.

The idea you can craft a narrative based on no racism just because it's somewhere out there in the ether doesn't solve problems, it creates more problems for people because now they grow up in an environment where there are told every obstacle they face is from this shadowy, nameless, faceless group who's out to get them simply because of the colour of their skin.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You see, back in the good old days, the days when Pakistan was a British Territory, in the 1800's. Pakistanis were sick and tired of being under occupation, so once they gained Independence, they sought revenge. They asked themselves "They occupied us, what can we do to get them back?". Then it hit them, not only where they asking the question, they were also answering it. Invade Britain. However, this was the 21st century, you couldn't just occupy a country outright (Except for Israel, but that's a story for another time). They had to occupy Britain covertly. They soon realized over-running the British with their own kind was the the most effective way. So It began, thousands upon thousands of Pakistani's migrated to the UK. They integrated into society, they became the leaders of their society (Sadiq Khan). This effect can be seen on many British websites, even this one. Because most Pakistani's are Muslim and a the sites user are very often Pakistani, in effect, this site is full of Muslims.Hope that answers your question :smile:
Which institution are you referring to? Institutional racism isn't a faceless group because the group is the institution that the racism occurs within..
Original post by The Roast
There's no solution in saying "There's racism out there" - how does that solve anything?

Show me a law that is racist in intent and we'll agree. Show me a police officer that commits a racist act, like in South Carolina when a black man was unlawfully shot whilst running away, and we'll agree.

The idea you can craft a narrative based on no racism just because it's somewhere out there in the ether doesn't solve problems, it creates more problems for people because now they grow up in an environment where there are told every obstacle they face is from this shadowy, nameless, faceless group who's out to get them simply because of the colour of their skin.

you're an idiot. an intellectual like you should have better rigourousness than that...

have you heard of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry? Of numerous US police forces that have racist policies? It's not about laws, but about practices and actions.
Reply 4
When people of authority have admitted institutionalised racism is a problem, i think its safe to say it exists.
Reply 5
Original post by calmingforzzzz
you're an idiot. an intellectual like you should have better rigourousness than that...

have you heard of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry? Of numerous US police forces that have racist policies? It's not about laws, but about practices and actions.

The Stephen Lawrence case falls under the umbrella of racism and serious police malpractice. You've pointed out a true case of police racism.

There is no need to call me an "idiot", it makes you come across as a bigot.
Reply 6
Original post by drogon
When people of authority have admitted institutionalised racism is a problem, i think its safe to say it exists.

"Explain to me why black kids aren't graduating high school and why black kids are shooting eachother in significantly higher rates than white kids... why 13% of the population of the US is responsible for 50% of murders?"

Again this is a response made by Ben Shapiro.

"[...] Is America more racist now than it was in the 1960s?"
Reply 7
"Explain to me why black kids aren't graduating high school and why black kids are shooting eachother in significantly higher rates than white kids... why 13% of the population of the US is responsible for 50% of murders?"

Again this is a response made by Ben Shapiro.

"[...] Is America more racist now than it was in the 1960s?"

how is this even vaguely relevant

Ben Shapiro, lol.
Reply 8
Original post by drogon
how is this even vaguely relevant

Ben Shapiro, lol.

What about him?

I recommend you watch this video... or at least the first 30-60 seconds of it.

He'll explain it far better than I ever will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ZRj_a_2qM
Institutional discrimination means they can try to blame somebody else for their own inadequacies.
Reply 10
What about him?

I recommend you watch this video... or at least the first 30-60 seconds of it.

He'll explain it far better than I ever will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ZRj_a_2qM

As i said, irrelevant to the point i made. Stop wasting my time.
Reply 11
Original post by drogon
As i said, irrelevant to the point i made. Stop wasting my time.

Well then there's no point continuing this discussion, is there?
Reply 12
Well then there's no point continuing this discussion, is there?

Nope. You're just exposing your lack of intelligence.
Reply 13
I personally do not believe it exists to the level that the media claims
Reply 14
It doesn't exist, it stopped in the 60's.

It's illegal to openly discriminate any minority so why ignorant BLM members keep bringing it up is beyond me
Reply 15
It does exist. You are much more likely to be invited to a job interview if your name is English than if your name is Asian or African. With the same qualifications, of course, i.e. you will get those interviews if you change your name.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
Reply 16
Original post by llys
It does exist. You are much more likely to be invited to a job interview if your name is English than if your name is Asian or African. With the same qualifications, of course, i.e. you will get those interviews if you change your name.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

What about when Asian and African Employers offer jobs to people from their own race rather than white people with the same qualifications.

Is that racist?
Reply 17
Hmm. Tricky question.I like it
Reply 18
Original post by ThePCPolice
You see, back in the good old days, the days when Pakistan was a British Territory, in the 1800's. Pakistanis were sick and tired of being under occupation, so once they gained Independence, they sought revenge. They asked themselves "They occupied us, what can we do to get them back?". Then it hit them, not only where they asking the question, they were also answering it. Invade Britain. However, this was the 21st century, you couldn't just occupy a country outright (Except for Israel, but that's a story for another time). They had to occupy Britain covertly. They soon realized over-running the British with their own kind was the the most effective way. So It began, thousands upon thousands of Pakistani's migrated to the UK. They integrated into society, they became the leaders of their society (Sadiq Khan). This effect can be seen on many British websites, even this one. Because most Pakistani's are Muslim and a the sites user are very often Pakistani, in effect, this site is full of Muslims.Hope that answers your question :smile:

The British never occupied Pakistan. Get your facts right.
Reply 19
Original post by Listers
What about when Asian and African Employers offer jobs to people from their own race rather than white people with the same qualifications.

Is that racist?

Yes obviously.