The Student Room Group

Do looks matter?

I find myself to be unattractive and so I can never find a relationship. Is it because of my looks?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Is it because of my looks?

Deffo. :yep:
Reply 2
Lets see....
Reply 3
No looks shouldnt matter but they do to people....sometimes feel that they are attracted to someone with looks than they are with personalities..
I find myself to be unattractive and so I can never find a relationship. Is it because of my looks?

sorry to break it you but yes, your just going to find another ugly girl
Reply 5
Yes and no. Hope I helped.

No but seriously, as cliché as it sounds, personality > looks. Looks will initially attract you to the person, but if they're boring af or have a trait you don't like, you'll quickly lose interest. As far as looks go, just maintain good hygiene and try to stay in shape, you'll feel more confident as a result too.

Also, this question is very subjective. Some girls/ guys will find looks to be very important, whereas others won't. All depends on the person. But regardless to whether they find looks to be important or not, you'll need an interesting/ fun/ attractive personality to maintain that attraction.

You just answered your own question.
The way I see it you can be stunning but if you are arrogant and have no personality then to me that is an instant turn off.
Reply 8
They don't matter as long as your standards also don't matter.
lol let's be real here, unless you have money or power, physical attractiveness is the number 1 most important thing which determines if you want to be in a relationship with someone. At the end of the day nobody wants to get it on with Shrek or Fiona. Anyone who denies this is lying to themselves and you. And yes attractiveness can grow so someone can find you physically attractive later on even though they didn't find you physically attractive before. Note: this still means they have to find you physically attractive at some point in time in order for there to be a chance at a relationship.
Reply 10
Not if you have lots of money

why are you even asking? Of course looks matter
Original post by Zuki
Yes and no. Hope I helped.

No but seriously, as cliché as it sounds, personality > looks. Looks will initially attract you to the person, but if they're boring af or have a trait you don't like, you'll quickly lose interest. As far as looks go, just maintain good hygiene and try to stay in shape, you'll feel more confident as a result too.

Also, this question is very subjective. Some girls/ guys will find looks to be very important, whereas others won't. All depends on the person. But regardless to whether they find looks to be important or not, you'll need an interesting/ fun/ attractive personality to maintain that attraction.

but without physical attraction you don't even start. So looks are the number one point, then all the rest you mentioned. It's like being a Premiership footballer,talent is the number one thing you need. Then you must train,have discipline and the rest but first of all you need to have the talent or it's all useless. Beauty is a talent
lol let's be real here, unless you have money or power, physical attractiveness is the number 1 most important thing which determines if you want to be in a relationship with someone. At the end of the day nobody wants to get it on with Shrek or Fiona. Anyone who denies this is lying to themselves and you. And yes attractiveness can grow so someone can find you physically attractive later on even though they didn't find you physically attractive before. Note: this still means they have to find you physically attractive at some point in time in order for there to be a chance at a relationship.

This.
Original post by Naf_A
No looks shouldnt matter but they do to people....sometimes feel that they are attracted to someone with looks than they are with personalities..

why shouldnt they matter?
Tbh your looks are barely ever a reason for you not being in a relationship. Sure, attractive girls may have it easier but it's not the main contribution.
Are you shy? That could be a reason why people may not approach you
Reply 16
Looks make a huge difference in the ease with which you can get a gf. But fortunately attractiveness is down to a mixture of things and it's also possible to make the best ones looks. So with effort and positive thinking you will get there.
Reply 17
Original post by govandpolitics
why shouldnt they matter?

Because looks are just a physical appearance that can be changed anytime...

Quick Reply