The Student Room Group

Retaking a year of A levels (AS)

Hi guys, I think I've truly messed up my A levels because of many things but what's difficult for me is that in my mocks I achieved AAAB but after that I have got U,E,D on the tests I thought revision would solve it but when faced in my exams I felt like I did terrible. I do Maths Chemistry Biology and Spanish.
My schools requirements are DDD to get back in, although this sounds easy I think I have achieved a D in Biology and Spanish however Chemistry is looking towards a U and maths I missed out questions so could be a E.

I don't know what to do I am previously a high achieving person for gases I achieved 8A*'s and 4A's and was predicted AAAA, but it's all gone downhill because i've left everything last minute.
I don't know whether (if i miraculously get back in for y13) to continue with the year with these bad grades, retake these exams that count towards the A level (biology doesn't) whilst continuing with A2 studies (will drop chemistry) or should i go to a college and re-do the AS levels for a year. My worry is that I won't get uni offers based on my as grades, although I could be predicted higher as my teachers know I am a good student i'm worried the uni's will not see this..

Sorry this as been so long,I've been having anxiety over this for days.
Any replies appreciated
I feel the same way. I got 9A*s and 4As and was predicted 5 As but my exams so far have gone downhill.

All I'm telling myself is that that we just feel like we did bad - who knows maybe we did a lot better than we thought we did.
Plus retaking a year is not something to be ashamed of.
Anyway the unis look at your predicted grade more so than your results.

Which course are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Namita Gurung
I feel the same way. I got 9A*s and 4As and was predicted 5 As but my exams so far have gone downhill.

All I'm telling myself is that that we just feel like we did bad - who knows maybe we did a lot better than we thought we did.
Plus retaking a year is not something to be ashamed of.
Anyway the unis look at your predicted grade more so than your results.

Which course are you thinking of applying to?

Ah I hope so too, but as have been so unpredictable for me I feel scared with everything relying on results day.
I honestly haven't decided I was thinking Spanish or Biology (or both) but I also might want to apply for economics or something! You?
Original post by Wisteria_xo
Ah I hope so too, but as have been so unpredictable for me I feel scared with everything relying on results day.
I honestly haven't decided I was thinking Spanish or Biology (or both) but I also might want to apply for economics or something! You?

I'm thinking of Medicine :^_^:
Talk to your teachers. You should have no problem getting back into school as you have a good record and they would have discretion. I would think about revising over the Summer and retaking. If you are doing the legacy spec then you will only get one chance to retake.

Only transfer if you have to or you have lost confidence in the school.
Is Maths is the only AS that counts towards the final grade? If so, you could always retake AS along with the A2 without having to resist them all... But resitting the year, as already mentioned, is nothing to be ashamed of
@Wisteria_xo @Namita Gurung @ValkyrieScythe @Vicky628

I too was in a really negative position until I read about this guy and his achievements. I hope reading what he has done and watching him tell you how he did it will inspire and motivate you too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]
Original post by Audrey18
@Wisteria_xo @Namita Gurung @ValkyrieScythe @Vicky628

I too was in a really negative position until I read about this guy and his achievements. I hope reading what he has done and watching him tell you how he did it will inspire and motivate you too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

Did he do them all at once???
First of all - don't panic. Its natural to think you have done badly in exams, and often people havnt done as badly as they think. Secondly, dodgy AS levels can be turned round. If you really put in some consistent hard graft for the next year you could still get good enough grades to go to Uni . Finally - there are other options apart from Uni. It isnt for everyone and there are lots of other ways to get into employment than with a degree.

Go and talk to a sympathetic teacher right now. Dont wait for results day. Yes it is possible to retake AS levels and pull this together. Some Unis (typically for mega-courses like Medicine, Law etc) will not accept anyone who has retaken AS or A2s - but the vast majority wont be bothered. A sensible comment in your academic reference - 'AS grades were not as expected and he/she learnt from this experience and has put in some excellent work this year and is on course for xxx grades' will be enough to show Unis you are a hard worker and have learnt from your experiences - positive assets for Uni study!
@ValkyrieScythe Yes. He took then in one sitting. If you had watched the video clip I so kindly provided in my post for your viewing, you would have realized that. Thanks for the rep!
Reply 10
Similar thing with me. Did great at GCSEs and thought i may get AAAB but now looking a few grades off and it's looking like my uni plans will change slightly. If u have any remaining exams like for maths i'd say just forget about your previous exams and work hard for the next.

I really really doubt you'd get UED as well. If worst comes to worse, resit the year. However don't leave it in your mind for too long or it'll damage you.
Original post by Vicky628
Is Maths is the only AS that counts towards the final grade? If so, you could always retake AS along with the A2 without having to resist them all... But resitting the year, as already mentioned, is nothing to be ashamed of

Thank you yes, maths and spanish!
Original post by Wisteria_xo
Thank you yes, maths and spanish!

Speak to a teacher you trust about it now, and be prepared, but there's no reason why you won't be able to retake a few exams with your a2s (do you have Spanish coursework to prop you up?)

But don't worry about it, you can't change anything, but just make sure you have a plan
Original post by Vicky628
Speak to a teacher you trust about it now, and be prepared, but there's no reason why you won't be able to retake a few exams with your a2s (do you have Spanish coursework to prop you up?)

But don't worry about it, you can't change anything, but just make sure you have a plan

Thank you! :smile: our exams are just a speaking exam and a writing exam no written coursework but I can re-take them this year! I will definitely talk to my teacher about it thank you :smile:
Original post by AAls
Similar thing with me. Did great at GCSEs and thought i may get AAAB but now looking a few grades off and it's looking like my uni plans will change slightly. If u have any remaining exams like for maths i'd say just forget about your previous exams and work hard for the next.

I really really doubt you'd get UED as well. If worst comes to worse, resit the year. However don't leave it in your mind for too long or it'll damage you.

what gcses brah

Quick Reply

Latest