The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry C3, Remembering the reactions & flame tests

Is there a easy way to remember the ion tests and flame tests in Unit 3 for the 2016 paper on Wednesday. I have a terrible memory if there's no learning involved.
I don't want to waste my time on something that may not appear in the exam, but it also may be worth up to 6 marks if AQA put it in.
Thanks for any help!
Original post by TomNaughton
Is there a easy way to remember the ion tests and flame tests in Unit 3 for the 2016 paper on Wednesday. I have a terrible memory if there's no learning involved.
I don't want to waste my time on something that may not appear in the exam, but it also may be worth up to 6 marks if AQA put it in.
Thanks for any help!

The way I remember the flame tests is by Lired Nayellow Klilac Cabrick Bagreen.

Li for Lithium which which turns red.

Na for Sodium which turns yellow.

K for Potassium which turns lilac.

Ca for Calcium which turns brick (red)

Ba for Barium which turns green.

(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for any help!

Maybe through sheer force of will? So like just learn it as it is?
(That's what i did, and of course it's the best way to remember things but there's always alternatives)
You can always remember the ****ed up one which doesn't fit and that's Barium which is green and Potassium which is lilac. Hmm maybe Sodium when you burn it it goes yellow(think of a bunsen burner)? Calcium maybe think of *****ing bricks?(brick red) Then there's lithium which is bloody difficult to remember....(blood colour i.e red)

Da it's so easy to waste time doin this sorta stuff oh well
Original post by Big white
Maybe through sheer force of will? So like just learn it as it is?
(That's what i did, and of course it's the best way to remember things but there's always alternatives)
You can always remember the ****ed up one which doesn't fit and that's Barium which is green and Potassium which is lilac. Hmm maybe Sodium when you burn it it goes yellow(think of a bunsen burner)? Calcium maybe think of *****ing bricks?(brick red) Then there's lithium which is bloody difficult to remember....(blood colour i.e red)

Da it's so easy to waste time doin this sorta stuff oh well

:lol:
I don't know why people find it so difficult to remember them but I guess it's just memory work. This is the easiest things they could ask imo.
Original post by Kryptonian
:lol:
I don't know why people find it so difficult to remember them but I guess it's just memory work. This is the easiest things they could ask imo.

Yup, usually people want another way out or sometimes like me i just pose the question to see what people say and if it's better than what i have already or not

The way people in my chemistry class remember it is similar - Lik Nay Kl Car Bag
Reply 6
Original post by chocolatefrog354
The way people in my chemistry class remember it is similar - Lik Nay Kl Car Bag

Thanks! Yours seems the best, I'm just not good at remembering stuff which have no meaning.

I remember them: baNAna = yellow = sodium, lilaK = lilac = potassium, then I remember the others in a way that is relevant to my spec because I'm on Edexcel so it probably wouldn't make sense explaining to someone doing AQA

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending