The Student Room Group

Vote on the future of the Model European Union

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
Because he was happy to let this happen, but after a YEAR of inaction his attitude is understandable, that's the very reason why I don't belive that this can succeed anymore either.
Toronto said that he messaged her about that so you do not know what was said behind the scenes...

I don't know what they said to each other then but what I do know is that QC made it clear to everyone that if a decent number of people vote to keep the MEU, it should remain and those who don't can be removed from the contact list.

In all that time, Adam has been in charge who doesn't have the time to get a big project like this going. However, I think there are a few people that come together and work as a team to make the MEU a reality.
Reply 101
Original post by Quamquam123
I don't know what they said to each other then but what I do know is that QC made it clear to everyone that if a decent number of people vote to keep the MEU, it should remain and those who don't can be removed from the contact list.

In all that time, Adam has been in charge who doesn't have the time to get a big project like this going. However, I think there are a few people that come together and work as a team to make the MEU a reality.

Not at all, Nigel was in charge at first, he tried to get it going but no one cared enough to help...
Then about October time (@adam9317 correct me if I'm wrong) Adam came along, he had time then, it's only recently when he hasn't, an exactutive was formed about December to try and get this place going and nothing happened. By February Toronto was suggesting just starting debates to everyone, no one bothered to even try and do that...

That proves that this won't happen.
Original post by Aph
Not at all, Nigel was in charge at first, he tried to get it going but no one cared enough to help...
Then about October time (@adam9317 correct me if I'm wrong) Adam came along, he had time then, it's only recently when he hasn't, an exactutive was formed about December to try and get this place going and nothing happened. By February Toronto was suggesting just starting debates to everyone, no one bothered to even try and do that...

It might happen if multiple people are tasked with getting it going, not just 1 person.
Reply 103
It might happen if multiple people are tasked with getting it going, not just 1 person.

That has been the case since December

You mean it takes multiple people to give relevant things to debate over?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean it takes multiple people to give relevant things to debate over?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Efficiency can be maximised if a small team of people set up the MEU and then a Speaker can be elected when it is up and running.
Efficiency can be maximised if a small team of people set up the MEU and then a Speaker can be elected when it is up and running.

You mean what has been happening for the last half a year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

For one, there is actually a Development Committee, and still nothing's happened. For two, considering you're so for this place it's incredibly surprising that you have no idea that the MEU doesn't even have a Speaker.
Original post by mobbsy91
For one, there is actually a Development Committee, and still nothing's happened. For two, considering you're so for this place it's incredibly surprising that you have no idea that the MEU doesn't even have a Speaker.

One, there has been Adam in charge with a few advisors but there needs to be a group of people who together can make the MEU happen. This is exactly what Adam said when I asked him what roles there would in the MEU, he said 'we will initially have the speaker, and potentially deputy (don't quote me on names - secretary general maybe). There will also be party leaders etc; but we could have other roles as we develop.'
Original post by Aph

Yes, I do regret not putting as much time or energy into this project, there were a lot of people who didn't want to see it going, and their negative spirits didn't help but... the main stumbling block was private subs/ usergroups. We can only do a limited amount without them to progress this- and that was the main issue. Imagine the MHOC without usergroups!
One, there has been Adam in charge with a few advisors but there needs to be a group of people who together can make the MEU happen. This is exactly what Adam said when I asked him what roles there would in the MEU, he said 'we will initially have the speaker, and potentially deputy (don't quote me on names - secretary general maybe). There will also be party leaders etc; but we could have other roles as we develop.'

:facepalm: What you have described is exactly what the development committee is meant to do. It's not a group of advisors, but a group of people who help to get the whole thing going, and it hasn't done this. So why a new development committee doing the same thing is magically going to work, is beyond me.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Keep guessing, maybe one time you'll stumble upon the 'speaker equivalent'... And SG is MUN not MEU... :facepalm:
Original post by adam9317
Yes, I do regret not putting as much time or energy into this project, there were a lot of people who didn't want to see it going, and their negative spirits didn't help but... the main stumbling block was private subs/ usergroups. We can only do a limited amount without them to progress this- and that was the main issue. Imagine the MHOC without usergroups!

It's easy to blame negative spirits, but surely if there are enough people who actually care about getting it going, then that's going to outweigh the negative spirits. And if it doesn't, then I think that shows that it shouldn't go ahead.
If QC can put together a small team of people who want the MEU to get going, they can draw up a constitution, sort out the parties and flood the MEU with a range of interesting debates.

If and that's a very big if, but again, if this doesn't happen, how long do we leave it? Three months? Six months? This is getting silly now - the MEU has been in development for 13 months and nothing has been achieved thus far, why should we keep spending time if nothing is going to get done?

If you disagree with the MEU, that's fine and I know you have never been a fan of it. What you and others shouldn't do though is spoil the fun for the 15 people that want the MEU to go ahead. As TDA has pointed out, would you like it if some random person put a poll up in the UK Politics forum to see if the MHoC should be closed?

Also, I don't see why you are getting involved anyway. If anyone was going to create a poll, it should have been Adam. You have been against the MEU from the start and you had no right to get involved. I think that letting people who had been against the MEU from the start was also a very pooor decision as this made the poll even less legitimate.

It's about being realistic and if it's going to be for fifteen people, we have to assess whether it's worth it - TDA's argument is irrelevant as pointed out. I have consistently tried to help with the MEU - I offered support to adam which was never taken up and I have made various suggestions as to how this forum could get started (with debates) all of which were ignored. With respect, I think that part of the reason people don't want to get involved is because you're behaving like this place is your personal fiefdom. You sent an unsolicited PM out to people, told others that you were in charge of the chat thread and could ban them from it, have posted in several subforums saying that certain groupings should be shut down, and then spoken to me like this when all I did was follow QC's instructions - all this bearing in mind that you're not in charge. Perhaps part of the reason that people are turned away from this place is your behaviour?

Do you know who the equivalent of the speaker is? He's German, balding, wears glasses with a beard and you would probably say "who?" despite being one of the presidents of the EU. Oh, and he has to leave the job in about 6 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

It's no good blaming 'negative spirits', if you and others wanted it done, it would have been done.
Reply 115

Usergroup sand private subs didn't exist in the MHoC until at least the third parliament from what I've gleamed from what I spoke to one of the founders a while back. They had sub-forums and just trusted eachother not to spy which worked well.
Original post by meenu89
It's no good blaming 'negative spirits', if you and others wanted it done, it would have been done.

Perhaps we should have had a seance to get rid of them, because that would have got this project moving :rolleyes:

QC thinks it will now be possilbe to create private subforums without user groups, a bit like the Government one.
QC thinks it will now be possilbe to create private subforums without user groups, a bit like the Government one.

Again, why are private subforums necessary to have had this project starting? Aph has excellently shown that the MHoC functioned for two terms without them.
Reply 119

The government one uses usergroups... It assigns multiple usergroups to one subforum.

Quick Reply

Latest