The Student Room Group

I came from Italy I have only my A- level results and in my country there isn't GSCE

Help me!!!!! I came from Italy and I have taken my A LEVELS recently. When I was doing some research about GCSE in my country, I didn't find anything. I am planning to apply for MBBS but I don't know if they will accept me without a GCSE.:frown:
they should just put in the Italian qualifications you have.
If you make it clear in your PS that you haven't taken GCSEs because of your schooling, it will be okay. Most EU applicants don't have anything equiv. to GCSE and UK Unis know this. However - Medicine is highly competitive and with only A levels you may miss out on vital scoring points when they assess your qualifications. This could be the difference between getting an interview or not.

Taking GCSE English and Maths (assuming you aren't taking either subject A level) will definitely help your application. You will need to show you have advanced English skills. GCSE English carries more weight that IELTS, GCSE Maths will also be worth doing both in terms of your application/interview and to give you the skills need as a med student.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
If you make it clear in your PS that you haven't taken GCSEs because of your schooling, it will be okay. Most EU applicants don't have anything equiv. to GCSE and UK Unis know this. However - Medicine is highly competitive and with only A levels you may miss out on vital scoring points when they assess your qualifications. This could be the difference between getting an interview or not.

Taking GCSE English and Maths (assuming you aren't taking either subject A level) will definitely help your application. You will need to show you have advanced English skills. GCSE English carries more weight that IELTS, GCSE Maths will also be worth doing both in terms of your application/interview and to give you the skills need as a med student.

Thank you so much. Some teachers said that IELTS could be considered as a English GCSE results but I think I need a result in GCSE maths. Do you know when and how I can take my GCSE exam if I have been planning to send my application for medicine this October?
Original post by Ammu.kutty
Thank you so much. Some teachers said that IELTS could be considered as a English GCSE results but I think I need a result in GCSE maths. Do you know when and how I can take my GCSE exam if I have been planning to send my application for medicine this October?

You need to find a college (or the school where you took A levels) who will allow you to do GCSEs next year, and you can add this to your UCAS application as 'qualifications being taken'. Any Uni offer would be made conditional on you getting those GCSE subjects at specific grades.

PS. Lots of useful TSR info here for anyone thinking of applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by Ammu.kutty

IELTS is something completely different to GCSE and it won't be considered as such.

You would have needed to register for IGCSEs a couple of months ago as the exams would be in May/June. (You would need to do IGCSEs as GCSEs have a coursework component, they're considered to be the same though from the university's point of view.) I would consult with medical schools before considering taking IGCSEs though, most applicants from outside the UK won't have an equivalent qualification, if you take 2 they may wonder why you didn't do more, or they could see it as you taking your GCSEs over an extended period of time in which case you could be rejected for that alone.
You need to find a college (or the school where you took A levels) who will allow you to do GCSEs next year, and you can add this to your UCAS application as 'qualifications being taken'. Any Uni offer would be made conditional on you getting those GCSE subjects at specific grades.

PS. Lots of useful TSR info here for anyone thinking of applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

As the medical school interview selection process is based upon GCSE results this would be pretty much useless for OP, if anything it would make it more difficult for him to get in as his offer would have additional conditions.
Reply 7

Thank you so much for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending