The Student Room Group

Are these grades good enough for Russel Group?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gurpartapl
Do you think that is sufficent for a Cambridge University candidate?

My predictions are:
Maths - A*
Further maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Science Core - A*
Science Additional - A*
ICT - A*
Geography - A*/A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
RE - B/A
Music - C

Non GCSE qualification

Additional Maths (Advanced FSMQ) - A
Level 3 Algebra (Pass or fail only) - Pass

Yep they are good enought. But cambridge only really care about your AS results.
Reply 21
Original post by A-LJLB
My "claim" is my close friend getting an offer from Cambridge as well as other people I speak to having received interviews. They didn't have straight A*s/As.

Lose the attitude

GCSE's will be more closely looked at now that the your overall grade will only be based on A2 exams, this may be dependent on the subjects chosen however.
Original post by abbigm1
you cannot be serious why would I lie about this. I genuinely did attend a PIXL conference where people from the application and admissions process of oxbridge and st mary's university spoke to me and other 'high achieving' students.
The man from oxbridge actually said in response to a student who asked about minimum grades 'candidates usually offer at least 6-7 A*'s and it is unlikely you can compete with anything lower' and to that every student was in shock.

Also, the man told us that Oxbridge could not care less about extra-curricular activities and this gives you no advantage whatsoever in being given an offer.

This mysterious 'man from Oxbridge' - what was his job title?

There's a big difference between being 'unlikely to be competitive with lower grades' (which is a perfectly fair thing to say btw) and what you said earlier ("or even having your application looked at").
Original post by abbigm1
GCSE's will be more closely looked at now that the your overall grade will only be based on A2 exams, this may be dependent on the subjects chosen however.

What I didn't agree with was you saying he application wouldn't even be looked at. That's just wrong. If course the better the grades the more competitive your application, but you do not need a perfect grade profile for Oxbridge
Reply 24
Original post by Duncan2012
This mysterious 'man from Oxbridge' - what was his job title?

There's a big difference between being 'unlikely to be competitive with lower grades' (which is a perfectly fair thing to say btw) and what you said earlier ("or even having your application looked at":wink:.

I cannot recall his exact job title but as I said previously he is part of the admissions and applications procedures at oxbridge and works at both unis.
Yh there is but at the end of the day as I keep saying I am simply sharing what I was told so if you do not agree with this I suggest you speak to someone with more knowledge than me.
Original post by A-LJLB
This isn't true

Actually I also went to a Cambridge conference and the admissions tutor said that most of those who get in have at least 7 A*s
Original post by HamzahPatel
Actually I also went to a Cambridge conference and the admissions tutor said that most of those who get in have at least 7 A*s

That's not the part I disagreed with.
Original post by Prussia
Lol I got all A*s but one. Maybe try an apprenticeship? Or leave school at 16? McDonald's have jobs

Nah those jobs suit someone with your attitude more. :smile:
It depends which course you're doing, if you're doing one that's less popular, there will be a lot less competition, so in theory, your grades wouldn't have to be as good. You still have 6/7 A*s, which is the average amount that an Oxbridge candidate has, so you should be fine getting in to any other Russell Group universities. Just make sure your AS level results are good as even though they might not count for anything anymore, some universities will still look at them.
It's correlation not causation.

7+A*s at GCSE does not really make you any more competitive than someone with two or three.

It just happens to be, that those who do very well at GCSE end up doing very well at A-level. If you look on the Cambridge website, you can see that they are very flexible in their GCSE requirements.

The thing about looking at GCSEs more is also not true. If you go to a Cambridge college at an event, they will say they will still consider your application holistically and will look at internal mock grades and predictions.

My point is - if your A-level grades are the same as that of the 'Oxbridge standard' (ie A*AA+) you should apply if you're wanting to go down that route. No matter what your GCSEs are - although Cambridge are more lenient and some (not all) colleges have additional requirements.
To the person talking about an Oxbridge conference:

I went to one too, and while yes, 6/7 A*s is the average, that does not mean it is the cut off point. "Average" means many will have had more, and many less.

I went to an awful state school (losing/ mismarking coursework, Leaving us to self teach... the whole works), so I only have 4A*s and the rest As. Obviously, I was and still am extremely worried about this in terms of an Oxbridge application.
I've spoke to several people who are knowledgable or work in admissions. Not one of them has said that I don't stand a chance because my GCSEs aren't good enough. I even went to my sixth forms progression manager to get his opinion, and he thinks my results are worth a shot, especially with extenuating circumstances.

For starters, GCSEs are considered in context, so me coming from a school where to my knowledge I had the best grades in my year will be considered in a much better light than someone with the same grades as me coming from an amazing high performing school. They put a lot of effort into levelling the playing field. Plus, GCSEs are just a small part of the application, AS is just as, if not far more important. And things like admissions tests and PS's also play an important role.

Now I'm not saying below average performance at GCSE doesn't make the application less competitive, of course it does. But it doesn't make it hopeless and unworthy of even being looked at. Please get off your high horse about this, it's making you sound like a real snob, even if you are genuinely a nice person.

To answer OPs question- yes those grades are competitive for Russell group as a whole, but for the more prestigious ones, I see you mentioned Durham- you may wish to contact their admissions team as the standard may be higher. I'm on an SP scheme with Durham, and they requested 5 A*s/ As at GCSE to be eligible, so I'd guess if you can meet this, you'd be in with a shot for Durham. A level grades permitting of course.
Reply 31
I have all A*s. Hope that helps🌚
Original post by Prussia
I have all A*s. Hope that helps🌚

That doesn't help and I honestly don't know why you feel the need to impose your grades on a thread which is completely unrelated to your message. In response to the OP they do look good enough however like many others have said to get better opinion you would need to go on the various website for the course you want to apply to and look at their requirements. For the person about Oxbridge grades they also look good enough but I was selected as part of a group to be helped to get in Oxbridge and a man from the board of admissions came in to do a talk and said that whilst grades are the most important thing (meaning extracurriculars have little to no standing when applying to Oxbridge) what can make or break the whole process would be the applicant's interview. They're looking for smart people who are interested in their subject of choice and as long as that is portrayed you have a fair shot. In regards to minimum numbers of A*'s needed I to was also told that the average applicant has at least 7/8 A*'s however again as said that is only an average and the speaker stressed how they have many students who fall below that mark and many who are above it. Although I would think that due to AS Levels being abolished for most subjects, especially Oxford and Cambridge who were very vocal in their disappointment in removing such exams, that they will use GCSE's more now as indicators as to how we will all perform in A levels.
It really doesn't matter unless

A. You're applying to medicine at any Uni
B. You're applying to law at a top Uni
C. You're applying to oxbridge

Well that's how it's been from my experience anyway. I only 1 person who got rejected due to GCSE's. I think it was Cardiff because he "only" got 5A*'s.
Reply 34
Is this good enough to study Law at a top university such as KCL

English Lang C
English Lit A/B
Maths B
Business B/A
Science AAB
ICT A
History A
French D
Reply 35
Original post by glebp
Got 8 C's at GCSE, got an offer from Warwick, however AAAA at AS Level. Just shows that GCSE's do not mean anything (unless LSE,Oxbridge,UCL,ICL) A levels are priority.

What are you studying?
Original post by Prussia
Lol I have all A*s!!! Those are awful!!😷😷😷!! Hope I helped!

No one cares about your grades, so stfu putting others down.
Reply 37
Original post by Peter Wilkinson
No one cares about your grades, so stfu putting others down.

Hahaha jealousy!

Quick Reply

Latest