The Student Room Group

whats your parents occupation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Naf_A
Haha yeah it is,,,my mum used to be a legal clerk-but now prefers teaching she says that its different from all the work she used to do!

id hate to teach kids! i dont have the patience for it, primary or nursery, maybe but secondary! pfft!

Original post by Trapz99
Yeah he is extremely busy. My mum is usually quite busy as well.

i prefer being kept busy too but as im unemployed artm, its a bit hard :/
Reply 41
Original post by shawtyb
id hate to teach kids! i dont have the patience for it, primary or nursery, maybe but secondary! pfft!

Really? My mum hated secondary teaching she used to say that kids think they can do what they want (basically she didn't like their attitude to anything) and she says that primary-you have to have a lot of patience for however is much more enjoyable! I don't know-I'm not sure if I would go into teaching!
Original post by shawtyb

i prefer being kept busy too but as im unemployed artm, its a bit hard :/

Just keep applying for jobs and you will get one. I got a part time job literally by asking around different shops in my area. Try that or build up some experience by doing voluntary work and then convert that to a part time job. I heard Oxfam offers its volunteers the possibility of a part time role if they do well as volunteers,
Mum: university academic. (She works at the same uni I went to, but not covering my subjects, luckily, that would have been a bit too much.)

Dad: was a diplomat, now works as a consultant for international governmental organisation.

Wondering if I won the middle class section of this competition. :teehee:
Reply 44
Original post by Naf_A
Really? My mum hated secondary teaching she used to say that kids think they can do what they want (basically she didn't like their attitude to anything) and she says that primary-you have to have a lot of patience for however is much more enjoyable! I don't know-I'm not sure if I would go into teaching!

oh god! when u put it like that, il defo steer away from any form of teaching lol
trying to teach my 4yr old that he has to keep his pants on is bad enough!
Reply 45
Original post by Trapz99
Just keep applying for jobs and you will get one. I got a part time job literally by asking around different shops in my area. Try that or build up some experience by doing voluntary work and then convert that to a part time job. I heard Oxfam offers its volunteers the possibility of a part time role if they do well as volunteers,

i cant do volunteer anymore as i have no one to look after my baby but i did do it prior to having him :smile:
id need full time as id have to pay for child care and i dont think id get enough wages to cover child care on a part time wage :/
we havent got an oxfam around here

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Mum: university academic. (She works at the same uni I went to, but not covering my subjects, luckily, that would have been a bit too much.)

Dad: was a diplomat, now works as a consultant for international governmental organisation.

Wondering if I won the middle class section of this competition. :teehee:

yh that would have been awful lol!
what is a diplomat?
Original post by shawtyb

yh that would have been awful lol!
what is a diplomat?

Well, he worked in the Diplomatic Service, which is part of the Foreign Office. He worked in British embassies abroad in various roles. His last assignment was quite a senior one in Brussels. Before that he worked in different EU countries and in the US and places like Mexico, Canada and Australia.

All of which added up to lots of nice places to visit at times plus lots of not seeing Dad for long periods.
Original post by shawtyb
as his been there all of his working career, does he now hate indian? like when people work in pizza shops, they soon get fed up of it

Oops I got that all wrong. Long before my sister and ai came into existence, my Dad worked in the UAE for a while, as a tailor. I forget that he had a life before us. He made us some really nice clothes when we were kids!

He's worked in the curry industry all his time here (20 years) and well, we're Asian so he does eat curry at home :lol: What he eats at home is different to what is sold in shops :smile:
Dad works as a shopkeeper. Mum works at a shop.
Reply 49
Well, he worked in the Diplomatic Service, which is part of the Foreign Office. He worked in British embassies abroad in various roles. His last assignment was quite a senior one in Brussels. Before that he worked in different EU countries and in the US and places like Mexico, Canada and Australia.

All of which added up to lots of nice places to visit at times plus lots of not seeing Dad for long periods.

so quite bitter sweet then :/

Original post by Serine Soul
Oops I got that all wrong. Long before my sister and ai came into existence, my Dad worked in the UAE for a while, as a tailor. I forget that he had a life before us. He made us some really nice clothes when we were kids!

He's worked in the curry industry all his time here (20 years) and well, we're Asian so he does eat curry at home :lol: What he eats at home is different to what is sold in shops :smile:

aw thats cool!
ah i suppose he can bare it then
Original post by Trapz99
My dad works in a petrol station as a cashier and a shop and is a delivery driver at a restaurant.
My mum works in a small shop.
I tutor some kids and do some odd jobs (legal ones) to get some money but I'm mainly studying for A-Levels.

Woah how long does he work? That seems really busy
Reply 51
Original post by biglad2k16
Dad works as a shopkeeper. Mum works at a shop.

at the same shop or different?
Original post by shawtyb
so quite bitter sweet then :/

I think we grew up being used to it and it's only when you're older that you start to think more about the issue of not having had him for long periods, but yes, that kind of work can be very isolating. It wasn't helped by the fact that he moved around quite a lot - some long term postings mean the family can live together more easily. However, my parents also decided not to disrupt our education and upbringing too much, so we were kind of settled but not having Dad around as much as we wanted.
Original post by shawtyb
engineer is a good profession

is that an insult or something?

his own shop?

Yep! His own shop :tongue:
Original post by biglad2k16
Woah how long does he work? That seems really busy

75 hours a week, sometimes more depending whether he gets overtime work. My mum works around 30 hours but she's also a housewife so has to care for the family as well.
My mum is an accountant and my dad is a director-general/CEO at an insurance company
Reply 56
I think we grew up being used to it and it's only when you're older that you start to think more about the issue of not having had him for long periods, but yes, that kind of work can be very isolating. It wasn't helped by the fact that he moved around quite a lot - some long term postings mean the family can live together more easily. However, my parents also decided not to disrupt our education and upbringing too much, so we were kind of settled but not having Dad around as much as we wanted.

i suppose the good thing is that u grew up with it and it wasnt just sprung on u out of the blue

Original post by DesiGirl31
Yep! His own shop :tongue:

is he the general manager or his actual own shop

Original post by childofthesun
My mum is an accountant and my dad is a director-general/CEO at an insurance company

oh god screw being an accountant!! i found a 9 week module based on that hard enough
CEO is a good job!
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah he is extremely busy. My mum is usually quite busy as well.

Gotta earn the $$$ :gangster:
My dad's an accountant, and my mum works in a school.
Reply 59
Original post by romansholiday
My dad's an accountant, and my mum works in a school.

sod either of those

Quick Reply