The Student Room Group

is it possible to do engineering with..

Initially I wanted to study physics at university but now I am leaning more towards engineering however this has meant that most of my reading and the lectures i have attended have been around physics? can i still write these in my personal statement and would they still be relevant?
Original post by IDontKnowReally
Initially I wanted to study physics at university but now I am leaning more towards engineering however this has meant that most of my reading and the lectures i have attended have been around physics? can i still write these in my personal statement and would they still be relevant?

If you have the required grades and don't write something really silly on your PS you should get plenty of offers. Some universities don't read personal statements, but for those that do, you don't need to write some elegant and wonderful prose about why you want to study engineering.
To give my normal advice for these kind of questions: It's engineering, they don't give a ####

I had a medicine PS, at interview they just acknowledged it, didn't mind and we had a short chat about engineering.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Helloworld_95
To give my normal advice for these kind of questions: It's engineering, they don't give a ####

I had a medicine PS, at interview they just acknowledged it, didn't mind and we had a short chat about engineering.

oh wow thats reassuring, do you mind if I ask where you applied?
Original post by Smack
If you have the required grades and don't write something really silly on your PS you should get plenty of offers. Some universities don't read personal statements, but for those that do, you don't need to write some elegant and wonderful prose about why you want to study engineering.

Ah okay, thats reassuring. Is this the case for really high ranking universities like Imperial too?
oh wow thats reassuring, do you mind if I ask where you applied?

Sheffield.

I don't think we chatted about engineering actually, he just gave a little lecture about that discipline of engineering.
Sheffield.

I don't think we chatted about engineering actually, he just gave a little lecture about that discipline of engineering.

What made you change your mind from medicine to engineering?

would this be te same for like other subs like say not engineering but more like chemistry eetc?
What made you change your mind from medicine to engineering?

At first it was because I came across the employment prospects for medicine and they turned out to actually be horrendous after you've finished foundation year, I also realised it's more realistic to be involved in more groundbreaking stuff as an engineer compared to a doctor. The nails in the coffin were not achieving the grades required for undergrad combined with the high cost of grad entry medicine for international students, at some places I would have been paying in the £200k region.

Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
would this be te same for like other subs like say not engineering but more like chemistry eetc?

Almost certainly, exceptions being Oxbridge and LSE, I think Durham can be a bit temperamental as well sometimes, also in healthcare subjects like nursing you need to put some effort in and have work experience.
At first it was because I came across the employment prospects for medicine and they turned out to actually be horrendous after you've finished foundation year, I also realised it's more realistic to be involved in more groundbreaking stuff as an engineer compared to a doctor. The nails in the coffin were not achieving the grades required for undergrad combined with the high cost of grad entry medicine for international students, at some places I would have been paying in the £200k region.

Almost certainly, exceptions being Oxbridge and LSE, I think Durham can be a bit temperamental as well sometimes, also in healthcare subjects like nursing you need to put some effort in and have work experience.

ok thats awesome thannks not planing on going to any of those anyway
Reply 10

Just to say, Cambridge barely cares about a STEM PS either (except medicine obv.). They might use it in passing as an warm-up/introductory element at interview, but that's it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply