The Student Room Group

IGCSE EDEXCEL Economics

Who else is taking the exam in 8 days? :-) Any predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Me too👍
Reply 2
Original post by Kio padma
Me too👍

How you feeling about it? Any predictions? I think its pretty hard to predict tbh
Reply 3
Just practise technique for answering the 6 markers. If you can answer them reasonably well then your mark is bound to not be low.
Original post by MattB_
Just practise technique for answering the 6 markers. If you can answer them reasonably well then your mark is bound to not be low.

The format I've learnt is introduction, argument, other side of argument and evalution- is that what your format is? Also, I'm a little unsure about what you have to write in an evaluation
Reply 5
Original post by Mamachicken
The format I've learnt is introduction, argument, other side of argument and evalution- is that what your format is? Also, I'm a little unsure about what you have to write in an evaluation

I've just gone without an introduction so for most of these questions I do a paragraph agreeing with the question, one disagreeing and then an evaluation. For example, 'Oligopolies are always beneficial for the consumer. How far do you agree?
1- I agree with this statement as oligopolies may try to get more consumers to buy their product and not a product from another firm so will lower their prices in price wars to get more consumers to buy their product as a result the consumers will have cheaper products. (or you could talk about non-price competitiveness)
2- I disagree as firms in an oligopolistic market may collude with each other in order to fix prices so the consumers will lose out as the firms who are colluding could raise their prices which is not beneficial for the consumer
3- However it depends on the extent of regulation in the market, as if the market is heavily regulated the firms will not be able to collude as it is illegal so if they try to they will be broken up, therefore they won't be able to fix their prices so consumers would get a cheaper product (or better quality product).
Reply 6
Original post by MattB_
I've just gone without an introduction so for most of these questions I do a paragraph agreeing with the question, one disagreeing and then an evaluation. For example, 'Oligopolies are always beneficial for the consumer. How far do you agree?
1- I agree with this statement as oligopolies may try to get more consumers to buy their product and not a product from another firm so will lower their prices in price wars to get more consumers to buy their product as a result the consumers will have cheaper products. (or you could talk about non-price competitiveness)
2- I disagree as firms in an oligopolistic market may collude with each other in order to fix prices so the consumers will lose out as the firms who are colluding could raise their prices which is not beneficial for the consumer
3- However it depends on the extent of regulation in the market, as if the market is heavily regulated the firms will not be able to collude as it is illegal so if they try to they will be broken up, therefore they won't be able to fix their prices so consumers would get a cheaper product (or better quality product).

That's very good! :biggrin:
Original post by MattB_

Thank you so much!😃
Reply 8
It didn't go too great for me! :frown: I was ok with the last few but the rest was quite hard for me If i am honest.

What did people put for the graphs of supply as i forgot that aha. what other things did you guys put? I need some reassurance that I did ok
Reply 9
Also does anyone have the paper that they can put up here so i can show my teacher?
Original post by Milena1810
It didn't go too great for me! :frown: I was ok with the last few but the rest was quite hard for me If i am honest.

What did people put for the graphs of supply as i forgot that aha. what other things did you guys put? I need some reassurance that I did ok

Well I put the lines the facing the wrong direction so I guess my answer was mirrored image of the correct answer lol. (steep line for inelastic, (almost) flat line for elastic.)
Reply 11
Original post by Exams421
Well I put the lines the facing the wrong direction so I guess my answer was mirrored image of the correct answer lol. (steep line for inelastic, (almost) flat line for elastic.)

What did you write for the expandsionary policy thing? Also about the supply and demand factor? What did you put for the last Q as well about living standards?
what did you guys write for that six marker on how shale gas could benefit the economy?
Reply 13
Original post by chumzy99
what did you guys write for that six marker on how shale gas could benefit the economy?

I didn't out anything sorry. What did you put for the demand and supply factors, I did the substitutes and indirect taxes, is that ok?
Also what did you out for the external economies of scale and the exp fiscal policy?
Reply 14
Original post by chumzy99

this is what i wrote for the evaluation:the economy would benefit as there would be an increase in resources which increase the total output in the country as production increases.however, this gas pollutes the environment which is a negative externality.overall, the benefits are short term as shale gas is non-renewable i.e it is finite.
Reply 15
Original post by am200
this is what i wrote for the evaluation:the economy would benefit as there would be an increase in resources which increase the total output in the country as production increases.however, this gas pollutes the environment which is a negative externality.overall, the benefits are short term as shale gas is non-renewable i.e it is finite.

I didn't write anything for it, but i do think your answer is right!:-)
Reply 16
I didn't write anything for it, but i do think your answer is right!:-)

ya ,i hope so . what did u write?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by am200
ya ,i hope so

Can I ask what you put for the supply and demand factors as well as the graph on elastic and inelastic supply and explanation? Also what did you put for the exp fiscal policy and the bankers being unemployed?? :smile:
Reply 18
Can I ask what you put for the supply and demand factors as well as the graph on elastic and inelastic supply and explanation? Also what did you put for the exp fiscal policy and the bankers being unemployed?? :smile:

the first question about the downward trend in prices was so confusing and don't even remember what i wrote-it was the hardest question for me
the graphs were like this:
this is elastic supply

this is inelastic supply
elastic supply-a change in price causes a more than proportionate change in supply
inelastic supply-a change in price causes a less than proportionate change in supply

plz remind me the exp fiscal policy and the bank workers question and i will let you know
Reply 19
Original post by am200
the first question about the downward trend in prices was so confusing and don't even remember what i wrote-it was the hardest question for me
the graphs were like this:
this is elastic supply

this is inelastic supply
elastic supply-a change in price causes a more than proportionate change in supply
inelastic supply-a change in price causes a less than proportionate change in supply

plz remind me the exp fiscal policy and the bank workers question and i will let you know

Yeah, I mucked up the graphs but I wrote those explanations. The exp fiscal policy Q was 'does exp fiscal policy always increase economic growth?' And the other was 'there is an increase in wages. Does this mean that more bankers will be unemployed or something?

Do you have a copy of the paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending