The Student Room Group

OCR Business Studies F297 2016 - VGL Case Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ga7798
Is the APT pack any good? Our school gave us the tutor2u one which was awful

Anyone? Im considering getting it but want to be sure before dishing out 60 quid for it
Reply 61
Can anyone help me out with general long term and short term affects on VGL? I struggle a little on this and usually only do short term.
Reply 62
Original post by ga7798
Anyone? Im considering getting it but want to be sure before dishing out 60 quid for it

Would have went halves with you mate haha but its Tuesday!!
Original post by GFEFC1
its great when an answer pack that costs hundreds has the wrong answers in :smile:

That's messed up... The tutor2u pack has the same answers usING PBIT and got the answers that we just worked out so... I think it is because OCR released a doc stating what we need to be using to calculate the various equations and in it tells us to use PBIT for ROCE.. maybe the analysis you are using missed the memo?
Reply 64
Original post by GFEFC1
Would have went halves with you mate haha but its Tuesday!!

Theres still time! I crammed one of those packs last year and managed to get a high B in the pre-release case study paper
Reply 65
Do we get L4 marks for analysing the real world or comparing to it? E.g mentioning the current exchange rate?
Reply 66
For anyone using the ZigZag pack and finding the account analysis section confusing, ZigZag sent out an updated version of the accounts section because they got a fair few ratios wrong. This explains the mismatch of some ratios you guys are working out.
Original post by GFEFC1
Can anyone help me out with general long term and short term affects on VGL? I struggle a little on this and usually only do short term.

Whilst their strategic objectives are long term, you could go beyond their objectives and talk about whether local authorities would be willing to renew contracts with VGL based on their actions (depending on what you are talking about) , since all their local authority contracts end in 2019.

Linking a short term effect to a long term one could look like: Contamination is an issue as the recycled products being produced are not of a high quality resulting in them only being sold for less and therefore generating less revenue. The effect this will have on their strategic objectives (long term) is that revenues are less likely to be raised by 6 % from last year as leaving the contamination issue unsolved will mean continuing production of sub-standard products.
Original post by GFEFC1
Do we get L4 marks for analysing the real world or comparing to it? E.g mentioning the current exchange rate?

Not sure, It would be safer to stick to a 'however', 'in the short run... but in the long run...' or 'ultimately, success will depend on'

btw try and add an evaluation point at the end of each of your paragraphs as this will make sure you still have some L4 in case you run out of time to write a conclusion at the end
Original post by ShaminiPamini
Fam, you got to PBIT not net profit ..

So use the profit before taxation which is 5.2 for 2015 and add it to interest which is 1.2 which equals 6.4 :smile:

Thank you so much
Reply 70
Original post by ShaminiPamini
Not sure, It would be safer to stick to a 'however', 'in the short run... but in the long run...' or 'ultimately, success will depend on'

btw try and add an evaluation point at the end of each of your paragraphs as this will make sure you still have some L4 in case you run out of time to write a conclusion at the end

cheers, ahh so include L4 throughout? Is it just me that thinks actual business knowledge doesn't mean much with this case haha?
Original post by GFEFC1
cheers, ahh so include L4 throughout? Is it just me that thinks actual business knowledge doesn't mean much with this case haha?

lol exactly, but then it is a synoptic paper and so we should include stuff like the motivational theories ... but it really confuses me because there is so much that we could include!!
Reply 72
I've just got the APT pack so will be working my way through that until the exam haha, what sort of revision are people doing for this? I've revised general theory and made essay plans for potential questions but not sure what else to be doing
How would you go about using ratio's in an essay? I know how to calculate some but I'm not sure how to talk about them??
Reply 74
Original post by GFEFC1

Yea, i'm worried that I haven't really revised the business knowledge part of the course, just the case study and everything VGL, but I think (hope) that'll be enough..
Original post by ga7798
I've just got the APT pack so will be working my way through that until the exam haha, what sort of revision are people doing for this? I've revised general theory and made essay plans for potential questions but not sure what else to be doing

Same, I have just been doing mindmaps with what I would include in each paragraph.. I think its the best way to prepare tbh
Original post by Jordandakota
How would you go about using ratio's in an essay? I know how to calculate some but I'm not sure how to talk about them??

This is from the tutor2u pack.. sorry for bad quality

WIN_20160612_13_53_29_Pro.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
ucles sending.jpgucles sending.jpg
Reply 77
Original post by ga7798
Is the APT pack any good? Our school gave us the tutor2u one which was awful

Its alright but it is quite wordy and does not go straight to the point sometimes in my opinion. However the ideas discussed in it are very helpful and it has a four page SWOT analysis in it as well which is amazing for answering a lot of the practice questions. Its also helpful for the maths questions like time series analysis, ratios etc and it has a section which outlines the strenghts and weaknesses of using TSA as well a whole section regarding the diversification into the textiles market(which i think will be one of the questions). If you can find someone to split the cost with then i would definitely recommend that you do it but remember you don't have a lot of time left and the pack is around 61 pages :smile:
Reply 78
Do you guys think it would be fine to just read through the APT pack and highlight as i go or should i make notes as well? After reading it i'm planning to go through those essay questions i havent done so far and in my head make sure i have an idea of how to answer them. I have two exams on tuesday so i'm trying to revise as time efficiently as possible.
It's really sad nobody tried to send me any essays they've done.

Quick Reply

Latest