The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
ah haha thank u but unbelievably I randomly picked that q to do the other day! It was a nice one tho, had a bit of everything!

III 1992 Q8? That one was very nice too :biggrin:.
STEP I in two days, and STEP II in 4 days. Anyone else freaking out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314

no :colonhash: freaking out is for scrubs

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh i was freaking yesterday and the day before but im ok now.
the key is just to chill. **** siklos. im gna destroy his papers. hes a wasteman.
(Mr Siklos, if you read this, I have not hate towards you, I am pumping myself up t destroy the mathematcs you throw at me).
Original post by physicsmaths
the key is just to chill. **** siklos. im gna destroy his papers. hes a wasteman.
(Mr Siklos, if you read this, I have not hate towards you, I am pumping myself up t destroy the mathematcs you throw at me).

Haha, I know right. I feel like I will be pretty chilled for the exam to be honest. I've done quite a few mock papers, I know how long each question normally takes me, when to skip the question so I just need to make sure I am at my top performance during the mock. Tbh, I kind of feel like my problem-solving is better under exam conditions (unless I panic) due to adrenaline rush, lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
Excited. And it'll be nice to get it over and done with. And after the STEP II exam, we'll probably have a relatively good idea of if we've made it or not.

Yeah, I agree, I also feel excite about it. But I wouldn't count that much on whether we have made it or not after the II exam since some people ace the II, flop the III and get rejected by Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Excited. And it'll be nice to get it over and done with. And after the STEP II exam, we'll probably have a relatively good idea of if we've made it or not.

lol not quite,
proof by example, me.
Note that III score will be looked at more slightly tbh, stats show it has better correlation and more people get in with 3,1 then 1,3 so I guess it is looked upon as better.
lol not quite,
proof by example, me.
Note that III score will be looked at more slightly tbh, stats show it has better correlation and more people get in with 3,1 then 1,3 so I guess it is looked upon as better.

I am doing II 2015 today. Should I just do random questions the next few days? I have only done 2013-2015 for STEP I. Would you say I should do a few papers before Tuesday as prep for STEP I? I am probably gonna do mech questions for I/II the next few days and some vectors so I can make sure I can deflect the **** Siklos throws at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True

Proof by example? Don't you mean disproof by counterexample? :tongue:

I know about III, but I have always found II harder than III. III has more of the subjects I'm more confident with, and a nicer style.

Proposition: "lol not quite"
Example: physicsmaths

Yeah, I can see why. I also find III easier since grade boundaries are usually lower and mech is made easier since not many do M3-M5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing II 2015 today. Should I just do random questions the next few days? I have only done 2013-2015 for STEP I. Would you say I should do a few papers before Tuesday as prep for STEP I? I am probably gonna do mech questions for I/II the next few days and some vectors so I can make sure I can deflect the **** Siklos throws at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im doing II 2015 today aswell(doing questions i didnt do and mahbe redo some i did do). Just practice Mech and vectors/geometry i think as it will come in handy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what it's worth, himself and others do occasionally lurk around on TSR. (Not that this is anything to worry about!)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
For what it's worth, himself and others do occasionally lurk around on TSR. (Not that this is anything to worry about!)

He did say that in his booklet !

Posted from TSR Mobile
He did say that in his booklet !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bodes well for his transparency (in both senses of the word).

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait what
I did the old papers first, but yes, huge disparity between complexities of some questions. The group theory ones in particular are the simplest, if you have even a basic understanding (old A-level standard or modern IB standard) of group theory.

Yea thats my current understanding :tongue: And I love group theory, but apart from one or two extremely lengthy ones Ive looked at with zain before they seem to mostly verifying the axioms. But thanks, Ill have a look for some nicer ones :smile:
So you think you'll attempt some mechanics in the exam then? I will probably stick to the pure section, just because I too easily screw up in the applied section.

He does?!

:hide:

Yep. I usually attempt mech questions the end of the exam as either partials or fully complete solutions, usually the former. In this way I can easily get at least 3-4 full solutions (pure normally) with 2-3 partials, (that are mixed pure and applied) whatever Siklos decides to throw at me. I feel like choosing only pure questions restricts question choice for people who are not too good with the less popular questions (vectors, complex numbers, number theory, and others).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. I usually attempt mech questions the end of the exam as either partials or fully complete solutions, usually the former. In this way I can easily get at least 3-4 full solutions (pure normally) with 2-3 partials, (that are mixed pure and applied) whatever Siklos decides to throw at me. I feel like choosing only pure questions restricts question choice for people who are not too good with the less popular questions (vectors, complex numbers, number theory, and others).

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow wow wow on the topic of mech qs, (u may have already done this) but u should take a look at q 11 III 98, it is so nice to a flaw proof complete proof for some of the nice Alevel physics stuff they destroy by not doing properly
I'm genuinely worried for the STEP exams...
I know I don't need to do well at all but honestly they mean as much to me as they do to any Cambridge offerholder, I've put a ridiculous amount of work into them, hope that doesn't all go to waste now.
Original post by EricPiphany
Well done.

I did STEP III 2015 yesterday, feel like I did quite well, finishing 5 questions and doing the first part from a sixth. But I'm scared to look at the mark scheme.

do it and tel (aviv) me what you get!!!!
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I'm genuinely worried for the STEP exams...
I know I don't need to do well at all but honestly they mean as much to me as they do to any Cambridge offerholder, I've put a ridiculous amount of work into them, hope that doesn't all go to waste now.

dont worry, this stuff will all go to plan. The top of ur priorities now should be making sure u get sleep and not literally *****ing urself and everything will be fine. Also thanks for the q, was nice :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending