The Student Room Group

Triple science

If I have an A* in controlled assessment and I get high Bs in my exam, would I be able to get an overall A grade?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Depends on the UMS points in each.
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
Depends on the UMS points in each.

oh ok, thanks. Just have to wait I guess.
Original post by Aimingforupthere
If I have an A* in controlled assessment and I get high Bs in my exam, would I be able to get an overall A grade?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes, provided you got a high A*, and like one mark into a B in each of the exams

What exam board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by scphmapd
Yes, provided you got a high A*, and like one mark into a B in each of the exams

What exam board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA and I 47/50 on my ISA

Nice, you therefore have 98 UMS on your ISA. Overall you need 320 UMS.

Unit 1: 73 UMS (lower end of B)
Unit 2: 74 UMS (near to mid B)
Unit 3: 75 UMS (mid B grade)
ISA: 98 UMS (A*)

Total: 320 UMS (scraping an A)

Obviously it doesn't matter in which order you get the UMS scores in your exam, you just need to make sure that you got some good B grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Obviously it doesn't matter in which order you get the UMS scores in your exam, you just need to make sure that you got some good B grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A* in my ISA, C in unit 1, C/D in unit 2 and D in unit 3. what will my overall grade be? Will I get my C?
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I got a 48/50 in my ISA, so if I get a B in the B3 Exam is it still possible to get an A* overall?
what do i need to get at the very least to get the A* overall?
Original post by Tinka99
I got an A* in my ISA, C in unit 1, C/D in unit 2 and D in unit 3. what will my overall grade be? Will I get my C?

I need to know more than just the grades to tell you what grade you got, I need to have UMS scores. Although I've done some calculations anyway:

Assuming you scraped each grade for each component:

1: C (60 UMS)
2: D (50 UMS)
3: D (50 UMS)
4: A* (90 UMS)

You would have a total of 250 UMS. For a C you would need 240 for a C. So you will have a C provided you got at least a D in two of the units and a C in the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrpaper
Hi,

I got a 48/50 in my ISA, so if I get a B in the B3 Exam is it still possible to get an A* overall?
what do i need to get at the very least to get the A* overall?

Well done you reached the UMS cap in your ISA.

You would need to get 360 across all 4 units.

ISA: 100
Unit 3: 70 (lowest end of B grade)

Total so far: 170

For an A* you would still need 190 UMS. This would mean getting mid A* in unit 1 and unit 2. Obviously if you got a mid B you would only need to get a few marks into A* on unit 1 and unit 2. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to know more than just the grades to tell you what grade you got, I need to have UMS scores. Although I've done some calculations anyway:

Assuming you scraped each grade for each component:

1: C (60 UMS)
2: D (50 UMS)
3: D (50 UMS)
4: A* (90 UMS)

You would have a total of 250 UMS. For a C you would need 240 for a C. So you will have a C provided you got at least a D in two of the units and a C in the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, so much then I am certain I at least have a C because two D's and a C can really be the worse case scenario for me.
Original post by Tinka99
Thank you, so much then I am certain I at least have a C because two D's and a C can really be the worse case scenario for me.

I'm glad to hear that! Good luck on results day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done you reached the UMS cap in your ISA.

You would need to get 360 across all 4 units.

ISA: 100
Unit 3: 70 (lowest end of B grade)

Total so far: 170

For an A* you would still need 190 UMS. This would mean getting mid A* in unit 1 and unit 2. Obviously if you got a mid B you would only need to get a few marks into A* on unit 1 and unit 2. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks a lot,
so basically if i got the lowest B i'd need around 95 ums on the next 2 exams which is basically around 50/60 marks.

jheez well done, how are the isa like are they really easy?
Original post by mrpaper
thanks a lot,
so basically if i got the lowest B i'd need around 95 ums on the next 2 exams which is basically around 50/60 marks.

You're spot on! I wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theBranicAc
jheez well done, how are the isa like are they really easy?

The ISA is really easy compared to the rest of the units. All you need to make sure is you put the number of points in your answer that equates to the number of marks. And always USE DATA. I got 49/50 on my physics and 47/50 on biology and chemistry with little reading around the topic beforehand. The best way to do it is have a look at some exemplar ones and then try and relate them to your ISA theme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest