The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get into Medicine with these GCSE grades ?

These grades are only predictions from seeing the mark schemes and from my own knowledge on how Ill do in the future exams. There is a lot of competition in to get into medicine and theres always gonna be someone with better grades but is it possible if i get into medicine with these?

English Language- A
Maths-B
English Lit-A
P.E-A
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Physics-B
History-B
ICT-A*

Ive been looking at other peoples grades who apply for medicine and they have high grades such as 7A* and so on.
Reply 1
those science grades are fine but unis care more about a level and the minimum in alevels to do science is i think 2 A's and B which is the minimum
Maths needs to be an A for medicine
Reply 3
Original post by Revision120
Maths needs to be an A for medicine

Im going to be taking Maths in college and if i get a grade A or over will it override my GCSE grade ?
The B in maths and physics will hold you back but otherwise, looks fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's fierce competition for Medicine, so you'll probably need at least 1 A*.
Honestly, no. They are certainly not good enough to compete with the vast majority of applicants who have 7+A*s at GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by Haroony
those science grades are fine but unis care more about a level and the minimum in alevels to do science is i think 2 A's and B which is the minimum

Yea, the college I'm going to has a partnership with my school so the requirements to do sciences are considerably low with being all C's on higher for sciences.
Reply 8
Original post by MoshBosh
Honestly, no. They are certainly not good enough to compete with the vast majority of applicants who have 7+A*s at GCSE.

I did harsh mark myself for the grades, hopefully the biology, chemistry, p.e and english language and lit could be at A*
but i really doubt that might be enough awell
Original post by CPMH
Im going to be taking Maths in college and if i get a grade A or over will it override my GCSE grade ?

You need to get an A at GCSE and at A level and to do A level maths you need to get an A in GCSE
Reply 10
Best advice is to look on uni websites, don't aim too high looking at Oxford/ Cambridge etc, look at middle universities and see what they look for. From what I remember, they all change. If you struggle with maths DO NOT pick it at college. You NEED 3As for medicine minimum. You only really need chemistry and some want biology as well at A level.
Reply 11
Original post by Lydia02
Best advice is to look on uni websites, don't aim too high looking at Oxford/ Cambridge etc, look at middle universities and see what they look for. From what I remember, they all change. If you struggle with maths DO NOT pick it at college. You NEED 3As for medicine minimum. You only really need chemistry and some want biology as well at A level.

Thanks for the advice :]

Quick Reply

Latest