The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

June 2015 IAL was definitely challenging - tested many interesting concepts. I really enjoyed the acid-base and rates questions. Only scraped 76/90 though. :colondollar:
Reply 541
Original post by Ayman!
June 2015 IAL was definitely challenging - tested many interesting concepts. I really enjoyed the acid-base and rates questions. Only scraped 76/90 though. :colondollar:

Yeah it's quite interesting to see how even though the questions are based on the same concepts as the uk one they still managed to make it quite different
Original post by Ayman!

isnt it almost exactly like the normal june '15 paper tho? O:
Original post by samb1234
Yeah it's quite interesting to see how even though the questions are based on the same concepts as the uk one they still managed to make it quite different

Original post by imnoteinstein
isnt it almost exactly like the normal june '15 paper tho? O:

I haven't done that one yet - will get on it in a few!
Why is the answer D in this?
I thought it'd be C as the reaction is endothermic, so by decreasing the temperature, the equilibrium would shift to the left, and by increasing the concentration - more particles = more collisions.

Which of the following changes will lead to the greatest increase in the rate of thefollowing endothermic reaction?
N2(g) + O2(g) 2NO(g) ∆H +ve
Temperature - Initial concentration of N2 and O2
A decrease by 15% - decrease by 15%
B increase by 15% - stay the same
C decrease by 15% - increase by 15%
D increase by 15% - increase by 15%
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peppercrunch
I thought it'd be C as the reaction is endothermic, so by decreasing the temperature, the equilibrium would shift to the left, and by increasing the concentration - more particles = more collisions.

Which of the following changes will lead to the greatest increase in the rate of thefollowing endothermic reaction?

Your reasoning for increasing the concentration is correct, however decreasing the temperature is not going to increase the rate. I think you are confusing the equilibrium yield of N2 and O2 with the rate of reaction.
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Okay firstly work out the number of moles of HCl to begin with. This is
(volume * concentration / 1000) = (10*1.0)/1000 = 0.01 moles of HCl.

Since HCl is a strong acid, it will dissociate completely, meaning that the concentration of HCl = H+ ion concentration.

What will the concentration of [H+] be in 990cm^3 of water?

Rearranging the formula above, you get:

Concentration = (moles * 1000) / volume.
= (0.01 * 1000) / 990 = 0.01010101.....

pH = -log([H+]) = -log(0.0101010101...)

Therefore the pH = 1.99... = 2 when you round it up. So the answer should be C!

https://c838cff4741acb48ae1ed62e59927ff4c2073557.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYbVpyRTRJN1lFS00/June%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20Unit%204%20Edexcel%20Chemistry.pdf
hey for Q19b, why do we start off with 2NO2? Why cant it be NO2? The equations would still work out fine
( NO2 --> 0.5N2 + O2 and
CO +0.5N2 + O2 --> NO + CO2) - is it bc its second order?
Original post by imnoteinstein
https://c838cff4741acb48ae1ed62e59927ff4c2073557.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYbVpyRTRJN1lFS00/June%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20Unit%204%20Edexcel%20Chemistry.pdf
hey for Q19b, why do we start off with 2NO2? Why cant it be NO2? The equations would still work out fine
( NO2 --> 0.5N2 + O2 and
CO +0.5N2 + O2 --> NO + CO2) - is it bc its second order?

Yeah since it's second order with respect to nitrogen dioxide, the rate equation will be: rate = k[NO2]2. Since the rate equation shows the species and the number of molecules of that species involved in the rate determining step, the rate determining step will start with 2NO2 :smile:
Original post by Peppercrunch

The forward reaction is endothermic. Increasing the temperature would therefore, by Le Chatalier's Principle, shift the equilibrium to the right (favouring the endothermic forward reaction), causing the system to absorb more heat. So for temperature, increasing by 15% would increase the rate of the endothermic reaction.

As for initial concentration, you seem to already know why it has to increase by 15%, so yeah :smile:

EDIT: I just saw that it's not an equilibrium lol. In this case, you therefore need to think about the kinetic energy of the reactants - increasing temperature will increase the kinetic energy within the reactant molecules, giving a greater proportion of molecules the activation energy required to react as they collide more powerfully and more often :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
What kind of scores are you guys getting in the papers for unit 4 & 5?
Reply 550
Original post by gabby07
What kind of scores are you guys getting in the papers for unit 4 & 5?

Unit 4 generally around 72, haven't done many unit 5 yet
@Ayman! @samb1234, and everyone else, does changing the volume of the container for an equilibrium ever not have an effect on position of equilibrium lol not Kc you silly guy Don Pedro K.? Or will it always shift the equilibrium to the side of fewer molecules when volume is decreased/side of more molecules when volume is increased?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 552
@Ayman! @samb1234, and everyone else, does changing the volume of the container for an equilibrium ever not have an effect on Kc? Or will it always shift the equilibrium to the side of fewer molecules when volume is decreased/side of more molecules when volume is increased?

Kc only changes with temp.
Kc only changes with temp.

Sorry, I meant the position of the equilibrium XD
Reply 554
Sorry, I meant the position of the equilibrium XD

Well then no, unless I was changing the concs/number of moles as well to compensate
Well then no, unless I was changing the concs/number of moles as well to compensate

So if you had an aqueous equilibrium, with 3 moles of reactants and 5 moles of products,

increasing volume would shift equilibrium to the right and,

decreasing volume would shift equilibrium to the left?
Reply 556
So if you had an aqueous equilibrium, with 3 moles of reactants and 5 moles of products,

increasing volume would shift equilibrium to the right and,

decreasing volume would shift equilibrium to the left?

I assumed you were talking about gases. I don't think it makes a difference for aqueous eq but i could be wrong
I assumed you were talking about gases. I don't think it makes a difference for aqueous eq but i could be wrong

Yeah I think it might just be for gases but:

1.JPG
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

The (gaseous) is in brackets, which makes me question if it really does only apply to gases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending