The Student Room Group

Should the 'Foundation' option in GCSEs be withdrawn, particularly for core subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prussia
Drown in your Cs!!! Have a nice day!

Spoiler

Not Cs. It is one C idiot. You're stupider than I thought.
Reply 21
I couldn't have said it better myself.
As you correctly acknowledge, you are the retard.
Original post by Lalarw
I am the retard. Yet, I am in higher for everything, you're the one that is probably doing a btec level health and social care course.
Reply 23
I could have easily got B's is English and Science but I was put in for foundation. Now i cannot do some of the subject i want to do. :angry:
Reply 24
Original post by V ugvg jhi
As you correctly acknowledge, you are the retard.

Complete and utter idiot.
Reply 25
Original post by Sayfi
I could have easily got B's is English and Science but I was put in for foundation. Now i cannot do some of the subject i want to do. :angry:

Must have not put enough effort in that, what a shame.
Original post by Lalarw
Complete and utter idiot.

Is what you are. A complete and utter idiot.
We already have enough issues with young people, particularly teenage boys from a working class background, feeling disillusioned with education. Who will this help exactly?
Although getting a C in the higher paper is easier, the questions on there are harder so I'd say it balances each other out.

However, I do think foundation should be scrapped out completely but start scrapping it off from the highly intellectual schools first and then slowly go down the school ranks and scrap foundation off them. This is probs a bad idea but it's just a theory if it ever happens

Posted from TSR Mobile
Foundation shouldn't be scrapped.
Most of you on this post seem to be the sorta C and higher achievers, so of course, all of you should be entered for higher tiers to get your best possible grade. I have friends who could be getting Bs, but are instead entered for foundation which is of course, limiting them. But this issue should be taken directly to your teacher and if you feel that strongly you should do higher, then stop sitting on your backsides complaining and get parents to complain to school and make some actual progress.

Foundation is designed for pupils who are just looking to pass, and some of the skills that higher papers ask you are just too much out of the reach of these sorts of pupils, even though the grade boundaries are lower and seem easy to achieve. Take science AQA for example, the higher papers require you to apply knowledge, whilst foundation just needs you to recall information. If you're hoping to go into an apprenticeship or a BTEC unrelated to science, then all you want is a pass right. So the foundation papers give the opportunity to get a pass on memory and revision skills. It's much better than putting a pupil of a low ability through the strains that everyone else can find quite easy on the higher paper. Besides, higher papers are designed to get you Bs and As and A*s, if you're only aiming for a C I don't think there's even much point, especially if you struggle with it.

Same with maths and English. If you're one of those who likes to complain about how trigonometry is irrelevant for your future compared to simple numeracy skills, then foundation maths is designed for those pupils who just want to get a C to show they have some mathematical ability that could help them in their future jobs. The AQA English language papers ask you to use more basic skills, like less language analysis. And to be honest, not all jobs need you show you can analyse language. So, foundation is also relevant for this subject.

I'm guaranteed a full set of Bs and higher at GCSE, but In French I was entered for Higher reading and listening foundation. I'll still get a B though, because my coursework is an A. But I chose foundation in this case because I struggled that much with the quicker speaking, and as I'm not taking French to A Level I don't really need to give myself an ego boost and do higher. I just want my B.

Maybe if you all actually thought into the purpose of foundation, you'll get it. It's meant to be easier for a reason. But if you find it that easy, go do higher and get a B or A or something.
Some people struggle attaining a C grade so there should be both foundation and higher papers.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
What do you think? I believe everyone should be encouraged to do the same paper as most people which is known as the 'Higher' one.

Another question: Does a C on the Foundation Tier paper equate to that on the Higher one?

Are you Soley talking about exams because you can still get B+ grades whilst doing foundation in English language and i believe in languages too.
Not everyone is perfect at getting As or A*, i do foundation in maths, english and additional science. i can barely get a C in English or Maths! so yes there should be both foundation and higher papers
This is so stupid. If people genuinely struggle with a certain subject they should be able to do foundation.
My friend had always struggled with maths, it was a weakness all throughout her school years. Because of that she was put into bottom set where her teacher only taught her simple Maths topics and had to do a foundation paper.
Just because you find it easy it doesn't mean you can call them "idiots". It's annoying how close minded some of you are. Everyone learns differently and at a different pace.
Yeah that should be scraped. Not cause foundation tier people don't put 'effort' in but because it limits them to a C. I would hate to be told by a teacher that I can only get a C, almost implies as if I was failing... Plus it's often easier to get a C on higher than foundation anyway.. They need to make a single test that include everyone's capabilities. :biggrin:
Original post by Prussia
Yes only idiots do foundation

Original post by Prussia
Lol I have all A*s!!! Those are awful!!😷😷😷!! Hope I helped!

Original post by Prussia
Have I nice day in Auschwitz!

Not everyone is as academically blessed as you. You are rather arrogant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by U-GradeStudent
Yeah that should be scraped. Not cause foundation tier people don't put 'effort' in but because it limits them to a C. I would hate to be told by a teacher that I can only get a C, almost implies as if I was failing... Plus it's often easier to get a C on higher than foundation anyway.. They need to make a single test that include everyone's capabilities. :biggrin:

Well, if you're a "U grade student," course you'll be failing...
Original post by Prussia
Yes only idiots do foundation

You're the biggest idiot here, not people who do foundation. People have different abilities and you must learn to respect that.
Reply 38
Original post by 999tigger
Not everyone is as academically blessed as you. You are rather arrogant.

Omg thank you!!!! I'm so glad you're all jealous
Reply 39
Original post by Tinka99
You're the biggest idiot here, not people who do foundation. People have different abilities and you must learn to respect that.

By different abilities you mean disabilities! Have a bad day!😊
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest