The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Grand High Witch
And that's the first thing you say after this event? This is the sort of thing that makes people question homophobia in Muslim communities.

I think there's problems on both sides
Original post by OGGUS
You need to find a solution rather than just kill them... As A Muslim this is what needs to be done.

Solution for what? For them being gay? What has other peoples sexuality got to do with us? We bang on about islamophobia n being victimised but we're all to quick to victimise and hurt another community. The hypocrisy within our ummah is glaringly obvious for all to see and it is shameful
Reply 102
Original post by AMuslimGuy
Solution for what? For them being gay? What has other peoples sexuality got to do with us? We bang on about islamophobia n being victimised but we're all to quick to victimise and hurt another community. The hypocrisy within our ummah is glaringly obvious for all to see and it is shameful

Okay sorry man. But I'm trying to be neutral about the situation.
Original post by sfaraj
no if it was the bbc or something, i would probably believe it more

They have

i dont care, do you have hard evidence that tells you the guy is muslim?

He is

im not planning on making a thread but gay straight and lgbt muslims exist, but you know all muslims have the same logic so no muslim is ever gay

Why can't a muslim be gay?

surely you saw the video of the kid who fell into the gorilla zoo enclosure! well just to prove how not all media sources a reliable, a news article wrote that the gorilla had ties with islamic state, believable am i right?

A zoo worker claimed the Gorilla had ties to ISIS, not the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OGGUS

What the heck is there to be neutral about?! More than 50 innocent people are dead because of an unprovoked attack based solely on hatred. How the heck could that be even partly their fault?
Original post by The Epicurean
The BBC has stated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-36510172

Homophobia within the Muslim community is something that needs to be challenged.

The fact is that there is room for acceptance of homosexuality within Islam. There is no verse within the Quran which explicitly condemns homosexuality. I think in light of this event (which sources appear to point towards Islamic extremism), more needs to be done within the Muslim community to tackle the issue of homophobia and serious discussions need to take place over Islamic interpretations in regards to sexuality.

Are you serious? You can't be serious.
Original post by jf1994
Are you serious? You can't be serious.

Serious. In light of today's event, it is paramount that we challenge this homophobic interpretation of Islam. Here is a previous post of mine where I challenge this interpretation:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64507571#post64507571
Right now, I am so ****ing tired. What Trump said - ban all the Muslims, in a sense, has a degree of sustainability to it. As a Muslim, and to watch other Muslim's carry out these acts, to smudge us all, there's nothing we can do. They are brainwashed and are dismantled in their views by Imam's and their own Parents, believe it or not, and there's nothing we can do. These will carry on and on, and its getting me ****ing tired.
Serious. In light of today's event, it is paramount that we challenge this homophobic interpretation of Islam. Here is a previous post of mine where I challenge this interpretation:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64507571#post64507571

Do you indeed approach men with desire instead of women? Rather, you are a people behaving ignorantly. - Al-Naml 27:55

Sounds like condemnation to me...
Original post by macsalaama
They have

i saw the other thread you posted on the same issue and you linked a bbc website and i read it, they did write an article about it but they didnt say "!yo the guy is muslim woohooo!!!!!!!!"

He is

oh because you know him do you?

Why can't a muslim be gay?

oh my days it was sarcasm

A zoo worker claimed the Gorilla had ties to ISIS, not the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the media supported it love
Original post by OGGUS

Youre doing what apologetics do all the time. If you cant be honest then it is better you remain silent. Not having a go. Just thinking its ramadhan and we should be trueful at this blessed time
Original post by jf1994
Do you indeed approach men with desire instead of women? Rather, you are a people behaving ignorantly. - Al-Naml 27:55

Sounds like condemnation to me...

If you read my post I linked to above, I explain the context behind that verse. Anyway, if you look at the following verse 27:56, the people of Lut are described as engaging in an 'immorality'. The word alfahishata is used to describe this immorality they are engaging in. This comes from the root word "Fahisha" which Abdul Majid Daryabadi in his Tafsir ul Quran says:

"in [its] general significance is ‘an excess; an enormity; anything exceeding the bounds of rectitude.’ but when particularized, signifies ‘adultery or fornication’ "

The issue here is adultery.
Original post by Thutmose-III
I'm not worried. I grieve for their deaths but this changes nothing. We've clipped 30,000 of those f*ckers in airstrikes, and we'll kill another 1000 over the next week as government officials order retaliation for this crime.

I'm incredibly sad the West has suffered another attack, and as a gay guy of course makes me angry. But it doesn't change the basic calculus; we're going to keep steamrolling over these losers until they've lost all of their territory, then we'll hand them over to the Iraqis to be tortured and killed. No terrorist attack can stop that now.

This was/is currently a domestic terrorist attack, he wasn't attacking strategic targets in the name of ISIS, he was killing homosexuals in the name of Islam. Probably is an America himself.

If the numbers in the UK are any indication of the sentiment shared by Muslims, that's more than half of their 1.6 billion adherents that want you prosecuted, with a sentence equally progressive no doubt.

Also they have a fertility rate second to none at the moment, so from a numbers perspective, they actually have you by the short and curlys. And by extension of course, they have me too. I think I'm higher up the pecking order in their eyes, but not by much, I'm an atheist lol.

My point is, your confidence is misplaced, we are losing and have been losing for quite some time, they have the fertility rate to deal with constant war, we don't. They win by attrition.
I don't deny that many Muslims interpret the verses on Lut to be verses condemning homosexuality. Many do take this view. But, I don't think we can state that Muslim scholars have always taken these verses to be injunctions against homosexuality. The concept of homosexuality is a Western term and was only introduced to the Islamic world through colonialism.

Now, what is interesting is that early Islamic poetry is full of homoerotic themes. A great classical example of Islamic poetry would be Abu Nuwas (considered to be one of the greatest classical Arab poets) who wrote many poems with homoerotic themes. Surely the popular arts are a reflection of the attitudes a society holds? The nude statues we see of ancient Greece show that within their society there was a tolerance towards nudity for example. Surely the prevalence of homoerotic themes within Islamic poetry would reflect a society that was more open to homosexuality?

I have nowhere made the "No True Muslim" or "true Islam" claim. I am challenging an interpretation. People are fully entitled to hold other interpretations, I'm just offering an alternative interpretation.

First you ask why I only mentioned it now, and now you say you always see me mentioning it.

Anyway, I often get quoted into such thread by other people as I hold a minority view that can create discussion. If you want a good debate, you need people with interesting minority views who challenge the majority or consensus. Also, it is a serious issue, as evidenced by today's event. Do you not agree that today's event highlights that there is a serious issue?

Dw about him (@Thutmose-III).

He was the one who denied and got iffy when I mentioned e.g. male homosexual brains tend to have a structure that has more similarities with a straight female brain than what's typical for a straight male brain.

He thought I was reducing homosexual men, despite being mostly one myself.

Same with homosexual females to straight men.

He's irrational and emotional.
Original post by AMuslimGuy
As a muslim i will say that our community needs to address the homophobia that plagues our mindset. Its the islamic extremists that are crazy enough to carry out these mad acts but its our moderate conservative majority that actually believe its okay to kill someone because theyre gay. There will be many families breaking their fasts together today and at the same time talking about just how these people deserved to be killed because theyre gay. Our communities have to change. This cant go on.

Complete nonsense, the silent majority may think that homosexuality is a sin but few if any, would think that this digusting attack is justifiable/allowed/permitted by Islamic doctrine
This isn't terrorism in the way people are thinking it is. It was NOT an islamic extremist who performed this attack. He was a homophobic man who also happened to be a muslim.

The father of the shooter said that: "We are saying we are apologising for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion." and that his son "got very angry when he saw two men kissing."

Don't blame muslims, religion, or anything except homophobia.
Funny that what is really a norm in the US, because of its gun laws is being used as an excuse for killing thousands of people and starting illegal wars
Original post by interact
Funny that what is really a norm in the US, because of its gun laws is being used as an excuse for killing thousands of people and starting illegal wars

Gun control didn't seem help France. Rather than focusing on gun control, USA should focus on muzzie control.
Original post by metasysta
I'd just like to point out that this discussion is about the shooting. Not the ethics of homosexuality.

Personally, I'm skeptical that it was a specifically homophobic attack. If the shooter was an Islamic extremist, they could just be attacking the western ideology.

HE WASNT AN ISLAMIC EXTREMIST. He just happened to be muslim.

The father of the shooter said that: "We are saying we are apologising for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion." and that his son "got very angry when he saw two men kissing."
Original post by Thutmose-III
I'm not worried. I grieve for their deaths but this changes nothing. We've clipped 30,000 of those f*ckers in airstrikes, and we'll kill another 1000 over the next week as government officials order retaliation for this crime.

I'm incredibly sad the West has suffered another attack, and as a gay guy of course makes me angry. But it doesn't change the basic calculus; we're going to keep steamrolling over these losers until they've lost all of their territory, then we'll hand them over to the Iraqis to be tortured and killed. No terrorist attack can stop that now.

No you havent clipped 30000 of those f*ckers and leaving them to the iraqis didnt work the first time so why should it work again. Believe it or not we'd be lucky to say weve killed over a hundred because we simply havent, airstrikes are useless better of giving support to Syrian Army and the Kurds they seem to be getting the job done. Also we can make an effort to block the flow of these extremists from our friends Turkey and Saudi Arabia who knowingly let them roam free.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending