The Student Room Group

AQA ICT INFO 2 predictions and help

hey guys i created this forum because i haven't seen any good forums on the info 2 paper.
Just wanted to see if u guys have any predictions about will come up or any general help.
We can send useful documents, notes etc or revision tips!
How you guys feeling about the exam? ready?

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm sitting INFO2 Tuesday, how are you feeling about the exam? How have you been revising?
I'm expecting both legislation and environmental factors of ICT to be in this exam. The environmental stuff tends to be a discuss question when it appears and doesn't tend to be on the exam...but AQA have surprised me three times already (maths and chemistry exams were...different to say the least). Hardware, software, storage and networking are usually a given too.
Reply 3
Original post by katiewarwood
Hello, I'm sitting INFO2 Tuesday, how are you feeling about the exam? How have you been revising?

i'v just been doing sooo many past papers, i have done every single past paper from 2009 and went over it again and made notes on topics which i hated and went over them again.
i dont know if im ready yet, i think i would know only when im about to sit the exam.
from doing all the past papers i have noticed a lot of the questions are just very repetitive.
Reply 4
Original post by That bloke 2016
I'm expecting both legislation and environmental factors of ICT to be in this exam. The environmental stuff tends to be a discuss question when it appears and doesn't tend to be on the exam...but AQA have surprised me three times already (maths and chemistry exams were...different to say the least). Hardware, software, storage and networking are usually a given too.

yep definitely one of the ethical, environmental, economical, social, cultural factors are sure to come up.
what would u talk about with hardware, software, networking and storage?
hardware and software are one of the components right so you'd explain that...
I hate networking.. its my weakness
for hardware I generally list & explain all of the necessary components and how they'd interact with the computer (usually to complete a task) as well as the reasoning of why I chose them. e.g. ...a webcam is the most appropriate input device for a teleconferencing call as it inputs visual and audio data into the computer... (check the question for suggestions usually).

For software I Identify the relevant application/system software then explain how they aid the user(s) in achieving a goal. (if the question asks mainly about operating system software then I'd talk about required driver software, processor time and virtual memory allocations with possibly the privileging system).

Networking is both easy and hard because I'd start by explaining the network structure and it's requirements. Basically what type of network it is (LAN, WAN, WLAN,Intranet, extranet etc.) and what it's going to need to work (routers, servers, switches, bridges, storage units). The harder part is explaining why these are needed and are suitable for the scenario, for instance a web server to prevent workers from accessing inappropriate material during work hours or a print server to queue print orders.

Storage is best done by talking about the most applicable devices for the context and their advantages and disadvantages to the user. E.g. a USB memory stick is useful to a student because it allows for the transfer of projects to and from school and can be accessed using any standard computer quickly. It is small, light and durable so is therefore portable, and can be password locked for security. however it's size means it can be easily lost or stolen and most schools have a policy against the use of USB devices to prevent security breaches.
Reply 6
Original post by That bloke 2016
for hardware I generally list & explain all of the necessary components and how they'd interact with the computer (usually to complete a task) as well as the reasoning of why I chose them. e.g. ...a webcam is the most appropriate input device for a teleconferencing call as it inputs visual and audio data into the computer... (check the question for suggestions usually).

For software I Identify the relevant application/system software then explain how they aid the user(s) in achieving a goal. (if the question asks mainly about operating system software then I'd talk about required driver software, processor time and virtual memory allocations with possibly the privileging system).

Networking is both easy and hard because I'd start by explaining the network structure and it's requirements. Basically what type of network it is (LAN, WAN, WLAN,Intranet, extranet etc.) and what it's going to need to work (routers, servers, switches, bridges, storage units). The harder part is explaining why these are needed and are suitable for the scenario, for instance a web server to prevent workers from accessing inappropriate material during work hours or a print server to queue print orders.

Storage is best done by talking about the most applicable devices for the context and their advantages and disadvantages to the user. E.g. a USB memory stick is useful to a student because it allows for the transfer of projects to and from school and can be accessed using any standard computer quickly. It is small, light and durable so is therefore portable, and can be password locked for security. however it's size means it can be easily lost or stolen and most schools have a policy against the use of USB devices to prevent security breaches.

thank you!
can you explain each of these please when talking about networks: routers, servers, switches, bridges, storage units
Reply 7
guys have you come up with any cool acronyms to help in the exam?
Original post by Exams2210

Not really, although WIMP (Windows Icons Menus Pointers) is the common one for GUIs
Reply 9
yep i use that too, are you ready for the exam?
Original post by Exams2210

PeDISHPro
Pe- People
D-Data
I-Information
S-Software
H-Hardware
Pro-Procedures
Componments ^
Whats the likelihood of network topologies coming up?
Reply 12
Original post by jadeyfletch
Whats the likelihood of network topologies coming up?

i think networks is a lot of people's weakness so there could be a chance of it coming up, either it being a small question or a big marker
I'm retaking info 2 this year, Networks didn't come up at all last year so I think there's a strong possibility that something on it will come up. At best they might make you name a few typologies and talk about adv. or dis. Other than that, environmental factors tends to come up in one way or another -probs be an evaluate "how has concern for the environment affected the use of ICT" kinda thing,

Any thoughts on the 20 marker? I want an A grade boundaries permitting
Reply 14
Original post by Azael274
I'm retaking info 2 this year, Networks didn't come up at all last year so I think there's a strong possibility that something on it will come up. At best they might make you name a few typologies and talk about adv. or dis. Other than that, environmental factors tends to come up in one way or another -probs be an evaluate "how has concern for the environment affected the use of ICT" kinda thing,

Any thoughts on the 20 marker? I want an A grade boundaries permitting

im retaking too and i have learnt doing past papers is the best you could do, just do as many past papers as u can until Tuesday that way u come across the topics too. and i have noticed info 2 is very repetitive with the questions so its best to do past papers.
also in the info 1 paper the 3 questions from the 2012 paper came up, so won't do any harm to go over the 2012 paper for info 2
I'm confident for an A on info 2, info 3 is a pain in the ass and that's what I'm worried about. A lot of stuff laps over though, so I'm revising info 3 and 2 at the same time, but I agree just doing past papers is the best way to revise for ICT. For info 3 have you made notes on the pre-release? What did you think of it?
Reply 16
I'm confident for an A on info 2, info 3 is a pain in the ass and that's what I'm worried about. A lot of stuff laps over though, so I'm revising info 3 and 2 at the same time, but I agree just doing past papers is the best way to revise for ICT. For info 3 have you made notes on the pre-release? What did you think of it?

yes i have made lots of notes, and tbh its seems fine but im just kinda worried about my writing structure and trying to link everything together. when i have been doing the past papers i have noticed that the mark scheme is sh*t and the points i make are different to what the mark scheme says. i basically wont know whether im ready until results day.

how was your cw? did u get ur grade back...
I got a high A on coursework but we did it at the beginning of the year and our teacher is pretty good at it. The problem we have with info 3 is that it's so subjective, one person could mark it and give you a C and another could mark it and get an A, it depends on how nice your marker is lol. I hate the long tarrif questions, I love the style of info 2 -4s and 8 markers are lovely..but info 3 is a massive jump. It is down to luck tbh
Reply 18
I got a high A on coursework but we did it at the beginning of the year and our teacher is pretty good at it. The problem we have with info 3 is that it's so subjective, one person could mark it and give you a C and another could mark it and get an A, it depends on how nice your marker is lol. I hate the long tarrif questions, I love the style of info 2 -4s and 8 markers are lovely..but info 3 is a massive jump. It is down to luck tbh

same my teachers for the coursework wer really helpful and i got A* and yes info 3 questions are way too long, half way through the paper i begin to give up and slowly zone out. it really is about luck, lets hope we get nice examiners and nice questions. have you made notes on the prelim? if yes, can i see your notes please?
We made notes on all the topics that are referenced in the pre-release and then made mind maps about said topics. They are:

Moblie working (so adv. And dis. Why is it done ect)
E-comerce systems and security of online systems (SSL encryption basically)
Social media and business applications of SM (with a focus on twitter since the girl has a twitter following in the prelim)
Byod policies (bring your own device)
System development life cycle and factors contributing to a successful development (link with what makes an effective ict team in info 2)
Asset register systems and Electronic stock ordering systems
Training users (different types of training and the costs involved. How can BBP reduce Ict costs)
Cyber security of systems (so firewalls and encryption)
Outsourcing and offshoring (reducing costs)
Bespoke and off the shelf software (adv. dis. Which one is more cost effective)
CRM systems
Back office systems (accounting, payroll and HR systems)
Workflow systems and the managment of supply chains (just in time policiy. Think of john Lewis they have that)
Cloud computing (SAAS and PAAS)

Thats all the stuff I have noted on for the prelim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending