The Student Room Group

A-level Maths

Does anyone have the A-level Maths & Further Maths pyramid or whatever it was where it placed the modules in height order according to difficulty?
Original post by Chittesh14
Does anyone have the A-level Maths & Further Maths pyramid or whatever it was where it placed the modules in height order according to difficulty?

All AS modules are the same difficulty as each other.
All A2 modules are the same difficulty as each other.
Reply 2
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
All AS modules are the same difficulty as each other.
All A2 modules are the same difficulty as each other.

So FP1 is as hard as C1?
Obviously, that's not true...
So FP1 is as hard as C1?

It's the same difficulty, but the content builds on C1 and C2. Thus whilst it requires more knowledge, this is not the same thing as being harder. A well-prepared student will find FP1 just as straightforward as C1, in other words.
Reply 4
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
It's the same difficulty, but the content builds on C1 and C2. Thus whilst it requires more knowledge, this is not the same thing as being harder. A well-prepared student will find FP1 just as straightforward as C1, in other words.

Oh right, sorry for being so blunt.
I was just wondering because I want to do A level maths and further maths next year and want to do medium-difficulty modules lol.
I know that doesn't make sense, but I want to do modules that I can get a strong UMS score in alongside with a feeling like "Yeah, I done a strong module that is preferred by universities" or something like that.
Reply 5
So FP1 is as hard as C1?

Why do you think it's not true? It is just as easy as C1.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Why do you think it's not true? It is just as easy as C1.

I don't know, people say it.
Does it depend on the person or just how hard you work?
Reply 7
I don't know, people say it.
Does it depend on the person or just how hard you work?

I think it's just easy in general, anywho, I guess you wanted this (even though I don't agree with it very much):

Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
x

Thanks, exactly what I wanted.
Why don't you agree?
Reply 9
Why don't you agree?

I think S1/2/3 should be closer together. And FP2/3 should be a lot lower than it is. FP2 isn't much harder than FP1, to be honest. Can't judge the higher (3/4/5) mech/stats.
Original post by Zacken
I think S1/2/3 should be closer together. And FP2/3 should be a lot lower than it is. FP2 isn't much harder than FP1, to be honest. Can't judge the higher (3/4/5) mech/stats.

Also disappoints me that the Decision modules aren't even given credit on that diagram; they at least deserve a place on there :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Dapperblook22
Also disappoints me that the Decision modules aren't even given credit on that diagram; they at least deserve a place on there :tongue:

To the bin with them! :tongue:
x

Original post by Zacken
x

I was just wondering, how do you lot revise for Maths lol tbh. Describe the process in the most simplest way: e.g. Read the content, do the questions, finish the book, do past papers etc.
Reply 13
I was just wondering, how do you lot revise for Maths lol tbh. Describe the process in the most simplest way: e.g. Read the content, do the questions, finish the book, do past papers etc.

Watch random youtube videos about the maths module. Do past papers. Sit the exam.
Original post by Zacken
Watch random youtube videos about the maths module. Do past papers. Sit the exam.

Lol :P ok thanks. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
I think it's just easy in general, anywho, I guess you wanted this (even though I don't agree with it very much):

C1-4 is below your GCSE innit fam
Original post by Zacken

Eh, what am I looking at exactly? Is it like a difficulty rating?
Reply 17
Original post by 34908seikj
Eh, what am I looking at exactly? Is it like a difficulty rating?

Yes.

Here's the steps I take:

01. Learn the content for a chapter
02. Make notes in simple terms so I can understand them come revision
03. Practice questions on the content from the end of chapter summaries
04. Move onto new chapter
05. Start doing practice papers for revision once all chapters are completed
06. If I find any questions I do not understand or get wrong after marking...
07. ...Check notes and textbook to see if I simply forgot anything
08. ...Read mark scheme to see if I understand their answer
09. ...Make notes from mark scheme method if needed
10. ...Go to youtube tutorials and ask teacher for help if I still do not understand
11. ...Repeat chapter and questions in book if necessary for revision

I complete 1 past paper per maths exam a week, so 6 papers in total for maths a week (FP1, D1, D2, C3, C4 - already had S1 exam).

Nearer the exam, I try to fit in an extra 2 or 3 for the exam I have in that week (gonna be fun trying to fit in FP1, C3 and C4 this week :tongue:)
Here's the steps I take:

01. Learn the content for a chapter
02. Make notes in simple terms so I can understand them come revision
03. Practice questions on the content from the end of chapter summaries
04. Move onto new chapter
05. Start doing practice papers for revision once all chapters are completed
06. If I find any questions I do not understand or get wrong after marking...
07. ...Check notes and textbook to see if I simply forgot anything
08. ...Read mark scheme to see if I understand their answer
09. ...Make notes from mark scheme method if needed
10. ...Go to youtube tutorials and ask teacher for help if I still do not understand
11. ...Repeat chapter and questions in book if necessary for revision

I complete 1 past paper per maths exam a week, so 6 papers in total for maths a week (FP1, D1, D2, C3, C4 - already had S1 exam).

Nearer the exam, I try to fit in an extra 2 or 3 for the exam I have in that week (gonna be fun trying to fit in FP1, C3 and C4 this week :tongue:)

Lol good luck :smile:, enjoy and do what you're doing.
Sounds sensible and epic haha, I usually try to memorise the mark scheme too lol but I revise day before - I'm an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest