The Student Room Group

How Hard Is Maths A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Currently I was thinking of History, Economics and Politics and was considering either a Law or finance/economics type of degree but all of my family and friends I should drop politics for maths.

History and Economics sound like great choices. I would agree with taking maths, but if you like politics, then I would take maths and the other subjects instead of taking maths instead of politics. Do note that economics/finance is a particular heavy mathematical degree, so if you don't enjoy maths, what makes you think you'd enjoy even harder maths at degree level?
Original post by Zacken
History and Economics sound like great choices. I would agree with taking maths, but if you like politics, then I would take maths and the other subjects instead of taking maths instead of politics. Do note that economics/finance is a particular heavy mathematical degree, so if you don't enjoy maths, what makes you think you'd enjoy even harder maths at degree level?

My idea behind that was that I feel that I excel at the numerical and problem solving side of maths and econmics doesn't involve any really difficult maths. A level maths is all about trig, algebra etc so thats why I was unsure whether I will enjoy it or do good at it.
Reply 42
Original post by Rajive
Which subjects do you do?

Maths , further maths, physics & chemistry :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to take a levels chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. What views do u have on my choices. Plz criticize.

P.S. I'll be getting A* on both my maths and double science.
Reply 44
My idea behind that was that I feel that I excel at the numerical and problem solving side of maths and econmics doesn't involve any really difficult maths. A level maths is all about trig, algebra etc so thats why I was unsure whether I will enjoy it or do good at it.

Trust me, the mathematical side of economics at degree level is far more triggy and algebraic than A-Level maths. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Trust me, the mathematical side of economics at degree level is far more triggy and algebraic than A-Level maths. :tongue:

U need to use differentiation on economics
Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not :smile:

There's a lot to learn and not much time to learn it. I cruised through the first year and had 90% test average in class. But a lot of people find it hard and do drop out/ fail.

To put it into perspective: My AS class in September had 30 students by January it was down to 22. This year only 7 made it onto A2.

A2 is a b***ch especially if you've got other academically challenging A levels going on simultaneously. Its a massive step up.

I honestly would not recommend it to anyone, it takes a lot of effort and a lot of preparation. The exams are really quite demanding.

C1 not bad C2 manageable. S1- not that much fun
C3 and C4 are a b****. M1 is easy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

You've definitely made me rethink things then haha. If you read up on that persons opinion on choosing maths is bad and its really hard, whats your opinion :smile:
Original post by ARK_REVISES

Yeah I was aware of that but I don't think differentation seems that difficult.
Reply 49
Original post by ARK_REVISES

...okay.
Reply 50
Original post by Themini
I honestly would not recommend it to anyone, it takes a lot of effort and a lot of preparation. The exams are really quite demanding.

Huh? This makes no sense. Lots of people don't find it challenging in the slightest. Why would you not recommend it to them?
Not bad tbh but it depends with your ability like... I found C1 harder than C2 & 3...
Yeah I was aware of that but I don't think differentation seems that difficult.

When i discovered it i was super confused on how there is any correlation with algebraic maths and economics, i thought it was more of an analytical andenglish subject
Original post by 34908seikj
No they don't. Some A-levels are valued higher than others. Eg maths and further maths are valued WAY higher than, say critical thinking and general studies, since in some schools critical thinking and general studies is mandatory and accepting them would give an unfair advantage to other students who don't have the opportunity to do them.

furhter maths is really undermined in most sciences, especially medicine where it's not even thought of as an a level
Why do you think you found it really hard? Was it the type of subjects, the workload or your work ethic?
Original post by Zacken
It'll depend on the person, obviously, but since you asked for personal opinion:

It's a joke. It requires zero thought, mathematical creativity or ingenuity. Literally a free A*A*. (with FM included)

to a certain extent i agree (providing you are good at maths), how about mechanics M3/4/5?
Original post by 1jonam16
furhter maths is really undermined in most sciences, especially medicine where it's not even thought of as an a level

Source? I can understand medicine & it not being highly valued, but not thought of as an A level is so bs.
Reply 57
Original post by xyz9856
to a certain extent i agree (providing you are good at maths), how about mechanics M3/4/5?

Yes, obviously. Those modules are fine, I haven't done them myself, only done (C1-4, M1-3, S1-3, FP1-3) but from my friends who have, they're perfectly manageable modules.

Original post by 1jonam16

lol, no. That applies to just medicine. Further maths is a massive advantage for any science subject.
Reply 58
Original post by 34908seikj
Source? I can understand medicine & it not being highly valued, but not thought of as an A level is so bs.

No source because it's false. Applies to just medicine.
U jus can't say that u are better off with some other subject other than maths. This will discourage even ppl who WANT to do it( not NEED to).
U should be saying u should live up to yo hearts content.

U think that way cos u kind of ppl have a hubristic nature making things like maths easy.

But what u did their is by flipping picking juz to look yoself smart. Lol go do flipping btec or apprenticeship pathetic bast......

Quick Reply

Latest