The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeachChemistry

Which compound needed to be hydrated? 2 methylbut2ene or pent2ene? Thanks in advance
Original post by ronnydandam
that's great - what did you put for the two alcohols you had to draw... I think I put pent-2-ol and pent-3-ol? probs 4 marks lost but wanna check

I drew those too but I think we're wrong. Was that really 4 marks?
Original post by Cookiemonster057
I drew those too but I think we're wrong. Was that really 4 marks?

It was 2, my bad, yeah I think we're wrong too
Original post by marioman
Of course you don't need my permission, I was just suggesting that you refrain from posting unhelpful image macros in reply to someone asking for a reminder of one of the questions.

I'm not sure how much I buy into the whole 'the current paper cannot be released because it will be used as a mock' reasoning. Good sixth form students are old enough to understand why they shouldn't look at mock papers before sitting them. Plus, there is enough discussion about the content of the paper on forums like this one that anyone determined enough to cheat on a mock can do so anyway.

Thanks for your suggestion which I choose to ignore.

Why do you think the board doesn't release the papers then?
Were the real papers easier than the specimen papers?
Original post by neil20143
Were the real papers easier than the specimen papers?

Yes
It is a public forum and I do not need your permission to post anything.

I come on here to help and give advice to students - there are several I have helped a lot believe me. However, I am not posting the paper because it should not be posted. The paper will be used by teachers for next year's mock and as such has not been released to the public by the exam board who also own the copyright.

You're not helping students, you're just telling them if they were right or wrong. And If you were a good teacher you'd understand that rather than keep telling students where they went wrong etc you'd tell them to just leave it as it's done with and instead encourage them to focus on their upcoming exams.

Just wanted to know if it said identify the two organic products or explain why you would get two different products and which was the major and minor product...

Was the enthalpy change diagram the formation of NO2 or N2O ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 4nonymous
You're not helping students, you're just telling them if they were right or wrong. And If you were a good teacher you'd understand that rather than keep telling students where they went wrong etc you'd tell them to just leave it as it's done with and instead encourage them to focus on their upcoming exams.

You're right. All of my students fail because I just mock them. I am a terrible teacher and a troll.

I suggest you drop this silly obsession with Q3c and your disbelief that it says to give two structures and that you move on and concentrate on any upcoming exams. I thought I was helping by settling a point of fact between you and another poster. Good luck!
Original post by Jitesh
Just wanted to know if it said identify the two organic products or explain why you would get two different products and which was the major and minor product...

ALL of the above
ALL of the above

Oh well, thanks. I didn't draw the minor product but I did explain Markovnikov's rule and relative stabilities of the intermediate carbocations (minor had secondary vs tertiary for the major), and named the products. If the mechanism was all right in the exam do you reckon it will be 5 out of 6? Or will it be stuck at level 2...
Original post by Jitesh
Oh well, thanks. I didn't draw the minor product but I did explain Markovnikov's rule and relative stabilities of the intermediate carbocations (minor had secondary vs tertiary for the major), and named the products. If the mechanism was all right in the exam do you reckon it will be 5 out of 6? Or will it be stuck at level 2...

Impossible to say without the mark scheme. Doubt it's level 2 but don't waste precious time dwelling on it.
Impossible to say without the mark scheme. Doubt it's level 2 but don't waste precious time dwelling on it.

Guess so - finished all my exams this year else I would have forgotten about the exam now :smile: Thanks for your help
it did

No it didn't, it said 3 significant figures
You're right. All of my students fail because I just mock them. I am a terrible teacher and a troll.

I suggest you drop this silly obsession with Q3c and your disbelief that it says to give two structures and that you move on and concentrate on any upcoming exams. I thought I was helping by settling a point of fact between you and another poster. Good luck!

Yh you had to draw both products to see if a tertiary carbocations could form, as well as the secondary carbonation. Otherwise you would have to guess the second part to the question?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UK_Britain
Yh you had to draw both products to see if a tertiary carbocations could form, as well as the secondary carbonation. Otherwise you would have to guess the second part to the question?

The second part being to draw two possible alcohols which could undergo elimination reactions with H3PO4 to form the alkene? Or was that a different question, can't remember as 3-methylpent-2-ene came up in two parts of the question I think?
Original post by Jitesh
The second part being to draw two possible alcohols which could undergo elimination reactions with H3PO4 to form the alkene? Or was that a different question, can't remember as 3-methylpent-2-ene came up in two parts of the question I think?

No the second part was to explain why one is major

Where did it say give two structures is what I wanted to know because I only remember reading draw the mechanism for one and explain which product is most likely to be formed yet you're here just giving me grief. I'm glad you're not my teacher cos I would fail and wouldn't be surprised if you're students do.

And you're on point with the sarcasm :clap2:
Original post by UK_Britain
No the second part was to explain why one is major

I mean question 3 d or cii (cant remember what it was labelled as)

And I did drop the problem with Q3c (if that was the question) if you read my last post before you came butting in with you're stuck up attitude. And don't tell me to focus on my upcoming exams now that I told you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending