The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 - 17th June, 2016 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Does anyone know if there'll be a model answers for this?
I'm sorry but have you guys seen questions 5 and 6 for the june 2008 paper??? Genuienly the most horrible questions I've ever seen. I don't even know what I'm looking at. Someone really smart please explain them
Original post by lucabrasi98
I'm sorry but have you guys seen questions 5 and 6 for the june 2008 paper??? Genuienly the most horrible questions I've ever seen. I don't even know what I'm looking at. Someone really smart please explain them

The syllabus has changed; Simplex and flows are in D2 now.
Original post by NotNotBatman
The syllabus has changed; Simplex and flows are in D2 now.

Thank god. I thought I was going crazy. Does that apply to both 5 and 6? Or only 6? Because 6 I've seriously don't know what It's asking me to do. And what year did our syllabus start? I don't want to encounter a dodgy question again

The specification changed in 2009. These topics are now in D2. I suggest that you confine yourself to papers from June 2009 onwards. The IAL and R papers are both on the same specification as the "ordinary" ones, so there should be enough papers to keep you going!
Thank god. I thought I was going crazy. Does that apply to both 5 and 6? Or only 6? Because 6 I've seriously don't know what It's asking me to do. And what year did our syllabus start? I don't want to encounter a dodgy question again

Both questions are D2 questions. The current syllabus started January 2009.
guys did the pearson edexcel d1 book make a mistake on page 141 on linear programming, because they plotted x=2 as y=2!!
Original post by Anishax___
guys did the pearson edexcel d1 book make a mistake on page 141 on linear programming, because they plotted x=2 as y=2!!

Yeah and I'm not sure what the blue dots are for.
Please could anyone help with question 15, I understand how to do part a but I've no idea how to work out the other parts? Thanks :smile: image.jpg
I'm having trouble understanding what this english means as an inequalilty (2nd part). How would you translate it to an inequality?
Original post by target21859
I'm having trouble understanding what this english means as an inequalilty (2nd part). How would you translate it to an inequality?

Do you have the full question so I can see the rest of it.
Original post by 4nonymous
Do you have the full question so I can see the rest of it.

Banana blast is x and raspberry is y. I forgot which paper it was but the second inequality can be formed just knowing what x and y are, right?
Reply 212
Any help:

Jan 2013 Q2b,
(b) Find the maximum number of iterations needed to locate any particular letter of the alphabet.Justify your answer.

The MS talks about a logarithmic method. How is this done to get the answer of 5 iterations.

Also is their any other equations that might be good to know E.g is there an equation for the maximum number of passes for a bubble sort ect.
Banana blast is x and raspberry is y. I forgot which paper it was but the second inequality can be formed just knowing what x and y are, right?

did you mean strawberry is y?
If so the first one is
1/4(x+y)<x

the 2nd is
2x<y

If you don't understand why let me know
did you mean strawberry is y?
If so the first one is
1/4(x+y)<x

the 2nd is
2x<y

If you don't understand why let me know

Yeah y is strawberry misread xD
I don't understand the second
Original post by SB0073
Any help:

Jan 2013 Q2b,
(b) Find the maximum number of iterations needed to locate any particular letter of the alphabet.Justify your answer.

The MS talks about a logarithmic method. How is this done to get the answer of 5 iterations.

Also is their any other equations that might be good to know E.g is there an equation for the maximum number of passes for a bubble sort ect.

It would be log2nlog_2n rounded up, where n is the number of items in the list.

In the alphabet it's log226log_226 this means that 2k=262^k =26 where k is the number of iterations(rounded up).
Reply 216
Original post by NotNotBatman
It would be log2nlog_2n rounded up, where n is the number of items in the list.

In the alphabet it's log226log_226 this means that 2k=262^k =26 where k is the number of iterations(rounded up).

Thanks mate I've done all the D1 papers up until Jan 2013 I'll do the rest in the coming days but do they become a lot more difficult I've heard the latest ones have lower boundaries sub 60 for an A. :s-smilie: So far I've been getting As so hoping not much has changed!

Also for Bubble and Quick sorts am I correct in saying for bubble sort once the list is in order you simply state "No swaps on next pass, therefore list is in order" but for quick sort you re-write the finished list and then state list is in order?

Lastly I seem to use pivots that the mark scheme do not, if there is a number/letter between two numbers/letters that have previously been used as pivots E.g in a list of B C F G H J K M R T

Where B G H K and T have been used as pivots in a previous pass (I write them in a square like the textbook). The mark scheme says the next pivots are R and F whereas I would include J too (the one between to previously pivoted letters)
The textbook seems to do this but MS do not? Thanks for you help.
@NotNotBatman @SeanFM @AnyoneElseWhoCanHelp:P
Yeah y is strawberry misread xD
I don't understand the second

Yh this is where a lot of people make mistakes.

So first forget about the bit where it says "at most" and focus on where it says half as much x as y
so that means x must be half of y
so you get x=1/2y
now get this to whole numbers so 2x=y
now figure out whether it is > or <
at most means < so 2x<y

I'm not sure if I explained that very well but hopefully I did.
Original post by SB0073
Thanks mate I've done all the D1 papers up until Jan 2013 I'll do the rest in the coming days but do they become a lot more difficult I've heard the latest ones have lower boundaries sub 60 for an A. :s-smilie: So far I've been getting As so hoping not much has changed!

Also for Bubble and Quick sorts am I correct in saying for bubble sort once the list is in order you simply state "No swaps on next pass, therefore list is in order" but for quick sort you re-write the finished list and then state list is in order?

Lastly I seem to use pivots that the mark scheme do not, if there is a number/letter between two numbers/letters that have previously been used as pivots E.g in a list of B C F G H J K M R T

Where B G H K and T have been used as pivots in a previous pass (I write them in a square like the textbook). The mark scheme says the next pivots are R and F whereas I would include J too (the one between to previously pivoted letters)
The textbook seems to do this but MS do not? Thanks for you help.
@NotNotBatman @SeanFM @AnyoneElseWhoCanHelp:P

For bubble sort, you just write the finished list, for quick sort you can either do it so that all the numbers are in square boxes or you can stop when the list is in order (when there are still pivots) and say "list is in order, so stop" or something to that effect.

As for the pivots, what you're doing is correct, it's just because j is 'locked in' between two sorted letters, so doesn't really have to be shown. In the IAL mark scheme it would say R (J) F indicating that you're marked on choosing R and F as pivots, but J can be a pivot too, it should be that way on the UK papers as well really.
Yh this is where a lot of people make mistakes.

So first forget about the bit where it says "at most" and focus on where it says half as much x as y
so that means x must be half of y
so you get x=1/2y
now get this to whole numbers so 2x=y
now figure out whether it is > or <
at most means < so 2x<y

I'm not sure if I explained that very well but hopefully I did.

Yeah thanks that explained it really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending