The Student Room Group

Resitting A2 exams?

I'm taking my A2 exams this coming week, and, although I'm obviously hoping it all goes well, I was wondering what the options are if I don't get the grades I want? Is it possible to retake A2 exams without retaking the whole year? Could I, for example, retake my A2 English Literature exam next year whilst doing my Art Foundation course?
Reply 1
Original post by tagliatilly
I'm taking my A2 exams this coming week, and, although I'm obviously hoping it all goes well, I was wondering what the options are if I don't get the grades I want? Is it possible to retake A2 exams without retaking the whole year? Could I, for example, retake my A2 English Literature exam next year whilst doing my Art Foundation course?

Yes, you can re-sit as many or as few units as you wish next year. The draft exam timetables for Summer 2017 are already on the exam board websites.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Yes, you can re-sit as many or as few units as you wish next year. The draft exam timetables for Summer 2017 are already on the exam board websites.

Brilliant, thank you!! It made sense to me that we'd be able to retake A2 exams, but for some reason I don't know anybody who's done it and my college has never mentioned it as a possibility. Would I have to go to some exam centre nearby then, since I won't be at my sixth form college anymore?
Reply 3
Brilliant, thank you!! It made sense to me that we'd be able to retake A2 exams, but for some reason I don't know anybody who's done it and my college has never mentioned it as a possibility. Would I have to go to some exam centre nearby then, since I won't be at my sixth form college anymore?

You can re-sit at any exam centre (=secondary school or college) willing to accept you. The chapest and simplest place, if they will have you, would be your current college.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
You can re-sit at any exam centre (=secondary school or college) willing to accept you. The chapest and simplest place, if they will have you, would be your current college.

Oh ok! I didn't know that. That's really good then. I mean hopefully I won't find myself in a situation where I need to retake anything, but just in case... it puts my mind at rest... thank you!

You might struggle - I don't think the other poster has remembered the A level reforms unfortunately. If your A levels have been reformed and switched to the new system, then you won't be able to resit A2, as this year is the last year of the old specification and exam style. You'd have to do the entire A level again (though not AS levels, as those are now separate), and the spec would be potentially completely different.

If your A levels are yet to be reformed, then you might be able to resit, but you'd have to find a centre that offered your existing spec and exam board, which may be a struggle. But unfortunately most subjects are now the new style.
Reply 6
Original post by doctorwhofan98
You might struggle - I don't think the other poster has remembered the A level reforms unfortunately. If your A levels have been reformed and switched to the new system, then you won't be able to resit A2, as this year is the last year of the old specification and exam style. You'd have to do the entire A level again (though not AS levels, as those are now separate), and the spec would be potentially completely different.

If your A levels are yet to be reformed, then you might be able to resit, but you'd have to find a centre that offered your existing spec and exam board, which may be a struggle. But unfortunately most subjects are now the new style.

Would they not still offer the same exam for resits though? When they change specifications, they still offer resits for the old spec. Wouldn't it be the same with this?
Would they not still offer the same exam for resits though? When they change specifications, they still offer resits for the old spec. Wouldn't it be the same with this?

Ah that's a good point. I'd been told by everyone that there wouldn't be resists, but after looking on AQA's website it seems that the old exams are still available for 2017 - so it should be ok for you, but hopefully not necessary!
Reply 8
Ah that's a good point. I'd been told by everyone that there wouldn't be resists, but after looking on AQA's website it seems that the old exams are still available for 2017 - so it should be ok for you, but hopefully not necessary!

I'll check with my teachers, but yeah I really hope I don't have to!! Thank you!
Reply 9
You might struggle - I don't think the other poster has remembered the A level reforms unfortunately.

It is possible to re-sit everything available this year, next year. The timetables are already available.
Original post by Compost
It is possible to re-sit everything available this year, next year. The timetables are already available.

Yep, after looking through I was proven wrong - which I'm glad about as it did seem ridiculous that they wouldn't have resits, but that's what I had in my mind for some reason!
Yep, after looking through I was proven wrong - which I'm glad about as it did seem ridiculous that they wouldn't have resits, but that's what I had in my mind for some reason!

It took Ofqual ages to decide finally that they would allow them- they didn't formally decide it until March so there was months of people saying 'Be cautious, it might not be possible.'

Quick Reply

Latest