The Student Room Group

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Quotations

Can someone give me some key quotations for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde that are useful. I cannot find websites which give good quotations that can be analysed efficiently.

Please I need these asap! :]
Hellooo, is anyone going to help me in this lonely desperate hour?
Reply 2
Hello I have some
Reply 3
"ape-like fury"

A characterisation of Mr Hyde

A simile showing how Hyde is seen as hardly human with savage tendencies like a wild animal which Victorians would see as being uncivilised.

Shows how Victorians feared that theory of evolution presented by Charles Darwin at the time, saying humans shared a common ancestor with apes. This also prevents Hyde as a less developed being compared to Dr Jekyll.

Ape have brown/black fur which is most likely referencing to Victorian racism as they saw people of colour as animals and not equals.

The colour of fur also symbolises darkness, evil and dirt.
Reply 4
"the chief of sinners, [...]the chief of sufferers"

Reference to human duality as Hyde's wrong doings negatively affect Jekyll. Showing how after people sin they feel bad and aren't just hurting those around them but themselves as well.

Hyde is the sinner and Jekyll sufferers a result.
Reply 5
"a wild, cold, seasonable night of March"

'wild' suggests this isn't a normal night.

Night is usually seen as tranquil as not many people are out and about so this is also the perfect time for bad people to commit crimes e.g Hyde.

March is the first month of spring which conveys Jekyll's want for a fresh start.

Spring is when the temperature starts to increase due the fact that it is cold suggests strange things will happen
Reply 6
"the smile was struck out of his face"

This is a metaphor.

'struck' refers back to Hyde murdering Carew as he struck him down with a walking stick. This also gives the reader a foresight into Jekyll's death and that Hyde would be the death of him. This shows that Hyde was attacking Jekyll from the inside and Hyde was trying to escape.
Original post by Routeri
"the smile was struck out of his face"

This is a metaphor.

'struck' refers back to Hyde murdering Carew as he struck him down with a walking stick. This also gives the reader a foresight into Jekyll's death and that Hyde would be the death of him. This shows that Hyde was attacking Jekyll from the inside and Hyde was trying to escape.

Oh wow! Thank you so much.
That is more then enough :]

Can you please go on my post Im so stuck on answering jekyll and Hyde exam questions
IS i am the chief of sinners,i am the chief of suffers a metaphor
Original post by Agbaje015
IS i am the chief of sinners,i am the chief of suffers a metaphor

Yes
Reply 12
ape-like fury
Hyde is described as attacking Sir Danvers with “ape-like fury.” This simile like many others in the book clearly compares him to an animal, an ape, and places him further back down the evolutionary ladder than the civilised Victorian gentlemen. Also, if you imagine that Hyde represents all the things he is compared to, you could see the way that Stevenson brings together ideas of animalism, uncivility, madness and evil into one pot; which sits opposite to the civilised, humane, intelligent and rational humans who are symbolised by Jekyll, Utterson or the other Victorian gentlemen in the book.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending