The Student Room Group

is there anyone who is not white british who wants to leave the eu

And why as i have not encountered many who are not of white and wealthy middle/upper class who want to leave passionately
not me but my dad does, he wants us to leave the EU because he's not happy with all the immigration stuff going on lately. To which he and my uncle both started debating because they both moved from Jamaica and so it was like 'you were an immigrant at one point too' 'but we didn't ruin the country' it was a mess. I don't agree with him though.
Yes. Black and a leaver. There is no big deal about it. Actually, non-europeans should be more supportive of the leave campaign, because leaving the EU would likely decrease EU migration and increase non-EU migration.
Maybe, my dad (Kenyan) says he wants to leave but I genuinely can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.
Reply 4
Yes, my parents and my family on both sides
We're brown. They want to leave for economic reasons, not 'immigration' reasons
Reply 5
There's loads of BME people wanting Brexit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gHLfMXb0Yg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCGmRnwqTVQ

There was one with a load of BME business owners but I can't find it.

If you watched the Buzzfeed town hall debate, an Indian woman asked Cameron why it isn't fair on commonwealth/BME citizens wanting to immigrate to the UK.

It's quite nice to watch the lazy thinkers trip over their own narrative when they try to convince themselves anyone wanting brexit is an old, racist white dude.
Reply 6
Original post by youreanutter
And why as i have not encountered many who are not of white and wealthy middle/upper class who want to leave passionately

Stop hanging out with only white and wealthy middle/upper class people then. A significant proportion of Jews, Sikhs and Hindus plus a very large proportion of the working class want to leave.

I dont know where you live but where I live would say the majority of brexiters are working class or unemployed I know this from the number of posters in windows.
I think it is the fact that there are more have nots than there are haves that is going to do swing it for brexit. .
Reply 8
Me and my family are from Pakistan and we are all voting to leave.
Reply 9

I'm not sure about that, as said the majority of leavers I know are indeed white but not wealthy or upper class.

It's no surprise if there are many non white British who want to leave because if they did immigrate it would've been hard for them to come, visas, all sorts of applications required, etc, so they feel it's unfair that anyone from within the EU can come in automatically with no barriers. I'm 'non white british' myself, and although I'm most likely voting in, I can sympathise with those who want out for those reasons (not the '£350 million' scaremongers, but that's a different matter).

Problem is for free trade with other EU nations apparently free movement is a condition, so leaving wouldn't make any difference with regards to immigration... If this is true then the remain side ought to make this clearer rather than the 'economic security' argument which is admittedly getting a bit boring now...
Original post by Sai4
Me and my family are from Pakistan and we are all voting to leave.

thats a suprise why
Reply 11
Original post by bj1

Problem is for free trade with other EU nations apparently free movement is a condition, so leaving wouldn't make any difference with regards to immigration... If this is true then the remain side ought to make this clearer rather than the 'economic security' argument which is admittedly getting a bit boring now...

That's only for the single market, we can be in EFTA without needing to accept free movement (like Switzerland)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending