The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
relative to the average job it's pretty competitive given the salary and applicant to offer ratio is still significantly higher than that of a lot of other professions. i interned bo at a 3rd tier and whilst not your typical front office student base, the calibre was still very much above average. experience is undoubtedly a solid bonus i'd say not to be undervalued when it comes to applying to a job.

congrats on the ucl offer, and all the best with buy-side recruitment. did a few rounds of PE ints for a summer through a head-hunter myself, got conked out 3rd round (all rounds included some heavy technicals, previous deal work experience and case study excercises) , was up against masters studentns haha but yeah.. i agree with banking being overrated in the general sense, but at this moment in time.. think i'll just follow the 2-3 year sell side > try for buy-side (through head-hunters), because it's just the traditional path.. either that or leave finance all-together maybe

It is entirely up to you, and it seems you have a good idea what is what so you are making a conscious and informed choice. My frustration is with people
who are chasing the dream and prestige that comes with IB without really knowing what it is about. They are not forward thinking as well - Everything gets automated. This is the case for buy side as well, but the human factor will never be replaced. Fundamental and judgement calls will always be needed in buy side. IB is client serving sector, i.e. Little to no decision making. Even all my traders are executing everything on behalf of clients with no input on their part. Why would you not want to be the party that makes the decisions and receives the service? There are plenty of opportunities to start off directly in buy side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A Levels: Accounting (A), Business (A), Economics (B), Maths with Statistics (B)

Undergrad: BA Dual Honours Economics and Finance from Keele University (First Class Honours)

Masters: Msc Accounting and Finance from LSE (Will graduate in summer hopefully with a merit but a pass in worst case)

Experience: Various part time and full time jobs during studies, 6 Week rotational internship within Audit, Consulting and Transaction Services with KPMG

I want to work in Investment Management. Would it be better to work in an IB for a couple of years, potentially in M&A to make the move?

If so, what are my chances of getting into Investment Management straight after Masters. If not, what are my chances of getting into a front office role preferably M&A in an IB after graduation?

Should I lower expectations and apply for the Transaction Services and Corporate Finance grad schemes for the BIG 4?

Also on a side note, which grad schemes offer CFA training as well?
Original post by i have no name
A Levels: Accounting (A), Business (A), Economics (B), Maths with Statistics (B)

Undergrad: BA Dual Honours Economics and Finance from Keele University (First Class Honours)

Masters: Msc Accounting and Finance from LSE (Will graduate in summer hopefully with a merit but a pass in worst case)

Experience: Various part time and full time jobs during studies, 6 Week rotational internship within Audit, Consulting and Transaction Services with KPMG

I want to work in Investment Management. Would it be better to work in an IB for a couple of years, potentially in M&A to make the move?

If so, what are my chances of getting into Investment Management straight after Masters. If not, what are my chances of getting into a front office role preferably M&A in an IB after graduation?

Should I lower expectations and apply for the Transaction Services and Corporate Finance grad schemes for the BIG 4?

Also on a side note, which grad schemes offer CFA training as well?

If you want to do AM, apply to AM.. It's really that simple. IBD experience is only going to help if your goal is PE or HF or CorpDev down the line, I can't see how IBD would smoothly transition into AM. If you really want to work at an IB, with AM as an end goal do Equity Research instead.

Your focus for now should be apply for all the available AM internship/grad scheme programmes available. Sure, you can hedge your bets with a few applications to the Big4 etc, but it shouldn't be your focus.

Also, make use of all the opps available at LSE. Reach out to alums in the areas you're interested in to get your face known..

No one can predict your chances here as we're not recruiters, and even if we did it would be pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I´m from Austria and wondered what my chances are:

A levels: maths, chemistry, English, German (top grades)

BSc in mathematics (might switch to financial mathematics)

work experience: part-time jobs and I´m doing an internship at a bank this summer

fluent in 3 languages and intermediate at Italian

What could I do to get into IB?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ThatGirl98
I´m from Austria and wondered what my chances are:

A levels: maths, chemistry, English, German (top grades)

BSc in mathematics (might switch to financial mathematics)

work experience: part-time jobs and I´m doing an internship at a bank this summer

fluent in 3 languages and intermediate at Italian

What could I do to get into IB?

What uni are you studying at? What year are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
What uni are you studying at? What year are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I´m in my second year (and I´ll be graduating in 2018) at the Vienna University of Technology.
Original post by ThatGirl98
I´m in my second year (and I´ll be graduating in 2018) at the Vienna University of Technology.

Cool.

Figure out which division you want to apply to, work on cover letter templates (brush up/update your CV too) over the summer and then apply to the banks as soon as possible for internships starting from around August - September.

Good luck!

I wouldn't bother switching degree btw, and your profile looks very solid so dw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Cool.

Figure out which division you want to apply to, work on cover letter templates (brush up/update your CV too) over the summer and then apply to the banks as soon as possible for internships starting from around August - September.

Good luck!

I wouldn't bother switching degree btw, and your profile looks very solid so dw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3768
Hi all.

Unfortunately this thread isn't going to be innovative or exciting, I'm just seeking positive reinforcement that IB is a realistic career option for me.

Here's my story:
- Study at a semi target (if that exists): Loughborough/Bath
- Only found out about IB and M&A in second year of uni
- Panicked when I realised the route into IB is a spring week, summer internship then hopefully a FT offer
- Realised hadn't done any of that
- Thought second best option is to get a placement at a Corporate Finance firm
- About to finish up placement and enter final year.

Here's my questions:
1) I understand breaking into IB straight from graduate is pretty much non-existent, is this true?
2) if it is, is there anything I can do about it? Aren't summer internships only for penultimate year students?
3) Would doing a masters help? Specifically one in London?

Thanks in advances for your responses :smile:
Original post by Iopa
Hi all.

Unfortunately this thread isn't going to be innovative or exciting, I'm just seeking positive reinforcement that IB is a realistic career option for me.

Here's my story:
- Study at a semi target (if that exists): Loughborough/Bath
- Only found out about IB and M&A in second year of uni
- Panicked when I realised the route into IB is a spring week, summer internship then hopefully a FT offer
- Realised hadn't done any of that
- Thought second best option is to get a placement at a Corporate Finance firm
- About to finish up placement and enter final year.

Here's my questions:
1) I understand breaking into IB straight from graduate is pretty much non-existent, is this true?
2) if it is, is there anything I can do about it? Aren't summer internships only for penultimate year students?
3) Would doing a masters help? Specifically one in London?

Thanks in advances for your responses :smile:

Moved this to the am I good enough thread.

1) Yes, some banks don't even bother to recruit for grad at all. There's an overall trend of all BBs and a lot of the EBs (not all, I think EBs generally are nore open to taking on final year grad applicants) sourcing their grad class from their intern class or poaching interns from other banks - sometimes whilst their internship is going on

2) Most banks will allow you to apply for internships, I greatly suggest you do or you'll be so out of luck

3) A masters is ultimately a waste, IMO. It would be better if you spent time at the big4 training for the ACA rather than sinking in £20-40k on a slight glimmer of a chance to reapply again. Although, if you have the available cash, it might be an ok CV filler (won't help much in terms of 'prestige bumping')

There's no need for positive reinforcement. Network your but off between now and app season, then apply. If you get an offer, great. If not find another route to get there (big4 Audit (ACA) -> Big4 CorpFin --> IB or get experience then a top tier MBA). It's not the end of the world if you don't get an offer.

1) Yes, some banks don't even bother to recruit for grad at all. There's an overall trend of all BBs and a lot of the EBs (not all, I think EBs generally are nore open to taking on final year grad applicants) sourcing their grad class from their intern class or poaching interns from other banks - sometimes whilst their internship is going on

2) Most banks will allow you to apply for internships, I greatly suggest you do or you'll be so out of luck

3) A masters is ultimately a waste, IMO. It would be better if you spent time at the big4 training for the ACA rather than sinking in £20-40k on a slight glimmer of a chance to reapply again. Although, if you have the available cash, it might be an ok CV filler (won't help much in terms of 'prestige bumping')

There's no need for positive reinforcement. Network your but off between now and app season, then apply. If you get an offer, great. If not find another route to get there (big4 Audit (ACA) -> Big4 CorpFin --> IB or get experience then a top tier MBA). It's not the end of the world if you don't get an offer.

To add - you are much better applying for internships. If HR think your application is strong enough for a full-time position and one comes up, then they will refer you for it - even if you applied for the internship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3771

3) A masters is ultimately a waste, IMO. It would be better if you spent time at the big4 training for the ACA rather than sinking in £20-40k on a slight glimmer of a chance to reapply again. Although, if you have the available cash, it might be an ok CV filler (won't help much in terms of 'prestige bumping':wink:

Thanks for the response.

So just to double check, banks are OK with final year students applying for summer internships? Would you still be able to apply for ones that specifically say only for penultimate students?

I've heard the big 4 audit > CF > IB route is quite common. Just a few questions on that:

1) is going straight into CF highly unlikely? (I've been slightly put off audit by hearing stories from people who've done it, and although it provides a good grounding of accounting knowledge, I would prefer to avoid it if possible
2) how far in do people usual lateral to CF from audit? after the full 3 years of training then CF or before?
3) I've seen some of the big4 offering various qualifications (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CFA). Is the assumption that the ACA is more prestigious still true?

Thanks
Original post by Iopa
Thanks for the response.

So just to double check, banks are OK with final year students applying for summer internships? Would you still be able to apply for ones that specifically say only for penultimate students?

I've heard the big 4 audit > CF > IB route is quite common. Just a few questions on that:

1) is going straight into CF highly unlikely? (I've been slightly put off audit by hearing stories from people who've done it, and although it provides a good grounding of accounting knowledge, I would prefer to avoid it if possible
2) how far in do people usual lateral to CF from audit? after the full 3 years of training then CF or before?
3) I've seen some of the big4 offering various qualifications (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CFA). Is the assumption that the ACA is more prestigious still true?

Thanks

Yes, you can apply. Even if it states penultimate, it's worth a shot.

1) You can and I know KPMG specifically has a fairly well developed grad program in CorpFin, I suspect many of the other big4s do too. The only reason I suggested Audit is because it's generally much easier to get into than CorpFin (which tends to have similar competition levels (and candidate levels - i.e. target uni folk) to IB due to fewer spots) whereas Audit take on hundreds upon hundreds of grads a year

2) Anywhere from 6months to 2 years post-ACA is the sweet spot

3) ACA is the most sought after by far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3773

1) You can and I know KPMG specifically has a fairly well developed grad program in CorpFin, I suspect many of the other big4s do too. The only reason I suggested Audit is because it's generally much easier to get into than CorpFin (which tends to have similar competition levels (and candidate levels - i.e. target uni folk) to IB due to fewer spots) whereas Audit take on hundreds upon hundreds of grads a year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this advice, its pretty invaluable.

I've been using WallStreetOasis for the last year and I've realised the info there is a bit too US focused, considering how much the application process (and pretty much everything else) differs between the 2 countries.

Apologies, but just a few more questions:
1) are all the Big4 pretty much the same? does any one differ from the others in terms of 'prestige' (not a fan of that word but couldn't think of an equivalent)

2) how much harder would it become if you only got into say BDO, Grant Thornton or Mazars?

3) if you were successful in lateraling into IB, would you go in as an analyst or associate?

Cheers in advance and apologies for the barrage of questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, how would i go about getting into corporate finance? what companies, is it the big 4? What degree/uni? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by drogon
Hey, how would i go about getting into corporate finance? what companies, is it the big 4? What degree/uni? Thanks. :smile:

Big 4 each have a CorpFin related scheme (Transactions at EY, Deals at PWC, Financial Advisory at KPMG and Deloitte), degree discipline is unimportant so whichever you feel you'll do best in at the best university you can get in to.
Original post by Iopa
Thanks for this advice, its pretty invaluable.

I've been using WallStreetOasis for the last year and I've realised the info there is a bit too US focused, considering how much the application process (and pretty much everything else) differs between the 2 countries.

Apologies, but just a few more questions:
1) are all the Big4 pretty much the same? does any one differ from the others in terms of 'prestige' (not a fan of that word but couldn't think of an equivalent)

2) how much harder would it become if you only got into say BDO, Grant Thornton or Mazars?

3) if you were successful in lateraling into IB, would you go in as an analyst or associate?

Cheers in advance and apologies for the barrage of questions!

1) For Audit, Tax and CorpFin, they're on par. The divisions only happen when we look at say, consulting. KPMG does have a rep of placing better (into exit opps) than the others, but that isn't substantial

2) It would be extremely difficult. Most recruiters look out for big4 employees, thus, any chance you may have would be gained through persistent networking. BDO/Baker Tilly might be considered now and again, but nowhere near the same extent as B4

3) Depending on your experience anywhere from 2nd/3rd year Analyst to 1st year Associate
Original post by RunningBack34
Big 4 each have a CorpFin related scheme (Transactions at EY, Deals at PWC, Financial Advisory at KPMG and Deloitte), degree discipline is unimportant so whichever you feel you'll do best in at the best university you can get in to.

Echo this^
Guys, maybe you can give me some input on IBD FT recruiting in London. Obviously, most of the classes are filled with interns, but are there any banks that also hire external? Also, do I stand a chance with an M.Sc. in Finance from a German, non-target (obviously), university. I have three M&A internships, two of which at BBs in Frankfurt. I am kind of torn between applying to Frankfurt or London for the FT gigs.
This is for my brother who will be graduating with a Bsc in Digital and Tech Solutions from Queen Mary UoL, he is doing the degree alongside working at Goldman Sachs as an apprenitce ( Data Analyst).
GCSEs: 3 As 6Bs
A levels: A (Turkish- native) A(Economics) A(Computing) B( Maths). Do you think he has a chance of getting into IBD after he graduates in about 4 years, or should he get a Msc at somewhere like Cass in Finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending