The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

this my plan guys tell me what you think: PS sorry its all in caps

INTRODUCTION:
DEFINE TECTONIC ACTIVITY
STATE THAT TECTONIC ACTIVITY CAN RESULT IN ARRAY OF CONTRASTING LANDSCAPES AND LAND FORMS
INTRODUCE FRAMEWORK ‘IN THIS REPORT I WILL EXAMINE HOW DIFFERENT TECTONIC PROCESSES RESULT IN ARRAY OF DIFFERENT LANDSCAPES SUCH AS THE MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE,EAST AFRICAN RIFT, THE DECCAN PLATEAU AND THE ANDES MOUNTAIN RANGE AS WELL AS LOOK AT THE DIFFERENT VOLCANIC AND SEISMIC LANDFORMS.

RESEARCH AND METHODOLOGY:
A LARGE SAMPLE OF RESOURCES WERE USED TO COLLECT INFORMATION SURROUNDING THE TOPIC OF THE REPORT TO HELP IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY OF THE INFORMATION OF THE REPORT AND ITS OVERALL VALIDITY. THESE SOURCES INCLUDED BOOKS, WEBSITES, UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND NEWSPAPER ARTICLES. BLOGS HOWEVER WERE AVOIDED BECAUSE OF LACK OF EVIDENCE THEY HAD COME FROM A CREDIBLE AUTHOR.
WHEN CHOOSING SOURCES TO USE I FOCUSED ON THREE MAIN CRITERIA……….
DRAW A TABLE SHOWING RESOURCES

DIVERGENT PLATE BOUNDARY- LANDSCAPES AND LANFORMS
EXPLAIN WHAT THE MARGINS ARE
USE MID ATLANTIC RIDGE CASE STUDY
USE EAST AFRICAN RIFT CASE STUDY AND STATE HOW IT DIFFERS FROM MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
EXTRUSIVE LANDFORMS AT THIS BOUNDARY: THE DECCAN FORMED BY FISSURE ERUPTIONS AND SHIELD VOLCANOES.

CONVERGENT PLATE BOUNDARY:
EXPLAin WHAT THE MARGINS ARE
ISLAND ARCS
ANDES MOUNTAIN RANGE
EXTRUSIVE LANDFORMS AT THIS BOUNDARY: COMPOSITE VOLCANOES AND CALDERAS
INTRUSIVE LANDFORMS ATE BOUNDARIES SILLS, DYKES AND BATHOLITHS,DRAW DIAGRAM AND USE ISLE OF ARRAN CASE STUDY.
SEISMIC LANDFORMS- FAULTS SAN ANDREAS

CONCLUSION
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 741
Original post by cfcforever

INTRODUCTION:
DEFINE TECTONIC ACTIVITY
STATE THAT TECTONIC ACTIVITY CAN RESULT IN ARRAY OF CONTRASTING LANDSCAPES AND LAND FORMS
INTRODUCE FRAMEWORK ‘IN THIS REPORT I WILL EXAMINE HOW DIFFERENT TECTONIC PROCESSES RESULT IN ARRAY OF DIFFERENT LANDSCAPES SUCH AS THE MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE,EAST AFRICAN RIFT, THE DECCAN PLATEAU AND THE ANDES MOUNTAIN RANGE AS WELL AS LOOK AT THE DIFFERENT VOLCANIC AND SEISMIC LANDFORMS.

A LARGE SAMPLE OF RESOURCES WERE USED TO COLLECT INFORMATION SURROUNDING THE TOPIC OF THE REPORT TO HELP IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY OF THE INFORMATION OF THE REPORT AND ITS OVERALL VALIDITY. THESE SOURCES INCLUDED BOOKS, WEBSITES, UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND NEWSPAPER ARTICLES. BLOGS HOWEVER WERE AVOIDED BECAUSE OF LACK OF EVIDENCE THEY HAD COME FROM A CREDIBLE AUTHOR.

Thanks for this, it looks like a good plan!

A couple of questions about the methodology - so you are going to write that short passage in addition to the table of sources? I'm guessing the table will feature source+use and also a small evaluation for each? I've realised how it is worth quite a few marks.

I'll be using EAR valley but might compare to Arran instead since it is also divergent (I hope!) and has many intrusive features particularly. For convergent I will use Himalayas but undecided on another one.
explain why tectonic processes play a major role in the global distribution of landscapes?

how would y'all structure and answer this?
Original post by luciearh98
so if the question was simply on volcanic or seismic...without a "to what extent part" how could we go about this? i don't think i have enough information to write a full report on solely one or the other! help!

All I can say is that you just learn loads of case studies from a variety of locations and formations, and then apply it on the day. If it were to be what extent, i would look at how time, erosion and igneous rock. I think it will be a 'discuss' 'to what extent' or 'evaluate' or otherwise everyone will have really **** analysis.
Hey guys fellow geography students..
so basically I need someone to explain the East African Rift Valley stuff I just don't understand what plate is doing what
Thaaaanks :smile:
Original post by bj1
Thanks for this, it looks like a good plan!

A couple of questions about the methodology - so you are going to write that short passage in addition to the table of sources? I'm guessing the table will feature source+use and also a small evaluation for each? I've realised how it is worth quite a few marks.

I'll be using EAR valley but might compare to Arran instead since it is also divergent (I hope!) and has many intrusive features particularly. For convergent I will use Himalayas but undecided on another one.

Hi,

For the research and methodology i will be doing exactly as you said, a small passage stating why choose the resources i did, used a large samples size and what i avoided using (for example blogs- due to lack of reliable evidence they have come from a reliable author). The table I will draw will consist of 3 heading: Type of resource, Information obtained and Age/Reliability

For my case studies I will be focusing on:
Mid-Atlantic Ridge vs East African Rift as they are both divergent landscapes.
Deccan Plateau vs Shield volcanoes and Shield volcanoes at hotspots. These are extrusive land-forms at plate boundaries.
West Andes mountain range as these are convergent landscapes and state due to the different processes they are fold mountains created from the crust folding up and down so differ to those at the mid-atlantic ridge where magma has cooled to form submarine volcanoes.
Mt St helens will be my convergent extrusive land form for convergent plate boundaries.
Intrusive landforms will be the Isle of Arran and intrusive features can be found at either plate boundary.

and thats it really, hope it helps
I don't suppose anyone has any tectonic essays that I could look at do they? :smile:
Original post by McHardy97
I don't suppose anyone has any tectonic essays that I could look at do they? :smile:

yep anyone who wants one pm me your email and ill send it (but i am sure there are a few errors/ areas of improvement so feedback is appreciated too 😂) but it may help someone to finish drafting their own etc
Is a batholith a landscape or landform. If it is a landform would you say that its sills and dykes help to shape the resulting landscape? And for composite volcanoes the same and if a landform would you say that its lava shapes the landscape???
Reply 749
I understand that everyone has their focus on the unit 4 exam that's coming up, however have a quick question about the unit 3 exam WATER QUESTION - 2b.
Most people seemed to have mentioned forms of technology as a sustainable way of meeting water demand e.g. Mega dams etc. however shouldnt the focus have been on strategies, such as low conservation etc? In my answer I spoke about water conservation strategies in MEDCs e.g. usage of water metres, reducing tap usage. I mentioned for a secondary point the Farakka Barrage in India/Bangladesh as a water diversion strategy however really tried to emphasise that it was being mentioned as a strategy not a technology. I assessed by saying that MEDCs the strategies are often implemented more successfully (low conservation) whereas in developing countries there is often a lack of expertise to correctly implement without avoiding externalities etc. (Farakka Barrage negative consequences/ externalities on Bangladeshis such as salinisation of water sources + loss of aquaculture). I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it, how else did people interpret the question?

PS. part A??? The detailed place specific knowledge of those individual countries e.g. Denmark seemed overly ambitious? What do people think?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J0sh1
I understand that everyone has their focus on the unit 4 exam that's coming up, however have a quick question about the unit 3 exam WATER QUESTION - 2b.
Most people seemed to have mentioned forms of technology as a sustainable way of meeting water demand e.g. Mega dams etc. however shouldnt the focus have been on strategies, such as low conservation etc? In my answer I spoke about water conservation strategies in MEDCs e.g. usage of water metres, reducing tap usage. I mentioned for a secondary point the Farakka Barrage in India/Bangladesh as a water diversion strategy however really tried to emphasise that it was being mentioned as a strategy not a technology. I assessed by saying that MEDCs the strategies are often implemented more successfully (low conservation) whereas in developing countries there is often a lack of expertise to correctly implement without avoiding externalities etc. (Farakka Barrage negative consequences/ externalities on Bangladeshis such as salinisation of water sources + loss of aquaculture). I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it, how else did people interpret the question?

PS. part A??? The detailed place specific knowledge of those individual countries e.g. Denmark seemed overly ambitious? What do people think?

I really don't want to think of the exam because I flunked it so hard but I did conservation too. Dams aren't really sustainable are they?
Original post by J0sh1

Original post by Manexopi
I really don't want to think of the exam because I flunked it so hard but I did conservation too. Dams aren't really sustainable are they?

That exam for water was super *****y for me too, however i did talk about water conservation, new agricultural technology such as drip irrigation and high-tech sprinkler systems which is a strategy, and also recycling and reusing in industries. I then talked about an NGO scheme and compared that to China's 3 Gorges Dam. I honestly had no idea what to write about but considering a lot of us wrote about similar things I think we should be okay? But yeah im trying my best to forget about this exam like it never happened
Reply 752
For my section on intrusive features I am using the case studies of Dartmoor (Batholith) and Isle of Arran (sills and dykes) but still a bit confused about how these form, where does the magma come from as no plate boundary is located there right?
How would you answer number 10?
Original post by cfcforever

INTRODUCTION:
DEFINE TECTONIC ACTIVITY

DIVERGENT PLATE BOUNDARY- LANDSCAPES AND LANFORMS
EXPLAIN WHAT THE MARGINS ARE
USE MID ATLANTIC RIDGE CASE STUDY
USE EAST AFRICAN RIFT CASE STUDY AND STATE HOW IT DIFFERS FROM MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
EXTRUSIVE LANDFORMS AT THIS BOUNDARY: THE DECCAN FORMED BY FISSURE ERUPTIONS AND SHIELD VOLCANOES.

CONVERGENT PLATE BOUNDARY:
EXPLAin WHAT THE MARGINS ARE
ISLAND ARCS
ANDES MOUNTAIN RANGE
EXTRUSIVE LANDFORMS AT THIS BOUNDARY: COMPOSITE VOLCANOES AND CALDERAS
INTRUSIVE LANDFORMS ATE BOUNDARIES SILLS, DYKES AND BATHOLITHS,DRAW DIAGRAM AND USE ISLE OF ARRAN CASE STUDY.
SEISMIC LANDFORMS- FAULTS SAN ANDREAS

CONCLUSION

what you putting in your conclusion? im gonna mention hotspots, im setting mine out pretty similar,
How are you all going to reference/write your sources?

I'm going to include a table in my methodology section, with a number next to each source, then write the relevant number as a superscript in the main text, similar to on Wikipedia.
Right.... so im doing the tectonics and landscapes thingy whatever.
My teacher told us to structure this in terms of scale, so start with macro scale landscapes, to meso scale landscapes and finally micro scale landscapes.. is this a good structure?
AND how different could the question be? as long as I learn the in's and out's of the different features, will I be able to apply it?

PLEASE HELP I AM ACTUALLY SO DUMB AT GEOGRAPHY - IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD PLAN PLEASE SEND IT
Im really struggling with evaluating for tectonics. Can anyone help give me ideas? why are batholiths, dykes and sills distinctive? like i know they are because they're big but WHY im so confused :/
Reply 758
Original post by Whilerisleeps
Im really struggling with evaluating for tectonics. Can anyone help give me ideas? why are batholiths, dykes and sills distinctive? like i know they are because they're big but WHY im so confused :/

Batholiths are made from many plutons joined together, which are kinda like solidified magma chambers. Sort of like ones under volcanoes, but not all magma chambers have a volcano on top of them. But they are not intrusions from magma being forced through rock weaknesses (like sills and dykes are), just pre existing magma chambers solidified. Batholiths can have satellite intrusions, which are when a very large magma chamber joins to a much smaller magma chamber or pluton (same thing) by a thin section of magma so are part of the whole batholith.
Dykes are magmatic or igneous (magma) intrusions in a vertical direction, so through layers of rock strata, through a weakness in the rock.
Sills are also magmatic or igneous (magma) intrusions, but they are in a horizontal direction between layers of rock strata; so sills and dykes are made in the same way but are intrusions of different axis.
Hope this helps!
Original post by Whilerisleeps

They usually only become distinctive once the overlying country rock has eroded, leaving them exposed. Batholiths are often an exception to this, as they can support orogenesis. Laccoliths can have a similar effect, but on a smaller scale, i.e. they cause the overlying rock to bulge, forming a hill.

Once exposed, dykes and sills can be very distinct; research the Isle of Arran and Devils Tower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending