The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by Dan1997
just dont get the reasoning behind exam boards twisting phrases like that to throw students off, simply missing the word magnitude in the question and i miss out on easy marks, if they werent trying to throw people off they would have used the word speed as opposed to "magnitude of velocity"

yeah i know, its so annoying
Original post by mbh16
how did u find it?
i thought it was ok

I thought very well IMO. Definitely dropped 2 for the first sub-part (wrote damn VdW's instead of metallic bonding) and I'm not entirely sure about the 2 step mechanism (hydration of propan-1-ene).

Everybody I spoke to after the exam used water as the nucleophile but I used sulfuric acid - which is technically speaking the correct mechanism (also confirmed by the internet and my Chemistry teacher). Not entirely sure about it though. What did you do?

The main thing was I finished the exam - usually I don't because of slow writing and writing far too much for some parts.
Reply 682
For the first part Im not sure but I think I wrote either about van der waals or electrostatic attraction, I can't remember, and wasn't it hydration of propan-2-ene?
Original post by txnilxnur

Was the centre of mass definition only 1 mark?

It was.
Original post by boyyo
lol yh, I thought you were talking about the similarity and difference one

For the similarity one the mark should be forces acting on both the spacecraft and space station are of the same magnitude.
For the difference one, I suspect the mark is 'in opposite directions'.
I just saw Aqa's provisional 2017 exam timetable and found out we can resit this paper next year?
Has anyone got a copy of this paper to look at yet?
Original post by CALI1198
I got 2.8 something for the speed. You had to find the acceleration using f=ma then use suvat. It seemed like an M1 and M2 paper with some physics thrown in there at the end. I thought it was a decent paper all in all.

The way i did that question was to re-write F=ma to F=mv/t and then you could find V which would act in the opposite direction. Take that V away from the 3.5 to find the resultant which i remember to be roughly 2.8ms-1
[QUOTE="palacefloor;65680839"]
I got 2.8 something for the speed. You had to find the acceleration using f=ma then use suvat. It seemed like an M1 and M2 paper with some physics thrown in there at the end. I thought it was a decent paper all in all.

The way i did that question was to re-write F=ma to F=mv/t and then you could find V which would act in the opposite direction. Take that V away from the 3.5 to find the resultant which i remember to be roughly 2.8ms-1

Yeah mathematically that'll be the same since you use v=u+at within F=ma

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Original post by Ayaz789
I just saw Aqa's provisional 2017 exam timetable and found out we can resit this paper next year?

Isn't this the last PHYA2 paper?

Isn't this the last PHYA2 paper?

Thats what i thought! But they have said in the provisional exam timetable they'll do Phya2 in 2017
Does anyone have a copy of the paper?! If so please upload pictures.
Predictions for grade boundaries? I had many major brainfarts so hoping 44 will get me an A but v v unlikely

Thoughts?
Original post by davgen7
Predictions for grade boundaries? I had many major brainfarts so hoping 44 will get me an A but v v unlikely

Thoughts?

Last year was about 47 for an A but I this year was much harder i reckon. I seriously doubt them dropping it to 44 though, if everyone on this website is saying it was rape and this is people that clearly put a lot of effort then maybe on average people did **** and it drop a lot.

**** knows what A2 could be like if they're heading down this route, I dread to think what they could to unit 4 and 5 if they somehow made unit 2 into an actual **** show.
Original post by palacefloor
Last year was about 47 for an A but I this year was much harder i reckon. I seriously doubt them dropping it to 44 though, if everyone on this website is saying it was rape and this is people that clearly put a lot of effort then maybe on average people did **** and it drop a lot.

**** knows what A2 could be like if they're heading down this route, I dread to think what they could to unit 4 and 5 if they somehow made unit 2 into an actual **** show.

Trust me man this was ****eries, i did every available past paper for it and got As every time but this one ****ed me over. I reckon i got A in unit 1, maybe a C in this, and Cs in units 4 and 5, i wanted a B overall but that ent gonna ****ing happen now cus of this paper

Wbu, how you feeling and what you aiming for? Feel so **** about this one man, its gonna drag my grade down bare
Original post by davgen7
Trust me man this was ****eries, i did every available past paper for it and got As every time but this one ****ed me over. I reckon i got A in unit 1, maybe a C in this, and Cs in units 4 and 5, i wanted a B overall but that ent gonna ****ing happen now cus of this paper

Wbu, how you feeling and what you aiming for? Feel so **** about this one man, its gonna drag my grade down bare

Last year i did no work and got a D so i definitely improved. Unit 1, i found it really easy apart from a few electricity questions and the 6 marker. So A/B. With this unit 2 i don't know, i reckon i did okay but wouldn't say A. I recently did the CHEM 2 resit and that paper was even more ****ed than PHY2, it was insane compared to any past papers. **** knows, it is what it is. Just have to hope for the best.
Last year i did no work and got a D so i definitely improved. Unit 1, i found it really easy apart from a few electricity questions and the 6 marker. So A/B. With this unit 2 i don't know, i reckon i did okay but wouldn't say A. I recently did the CHEM 2 resit and that paper was even more ****ed than PHY2, it was insane compared to any past papers. **** knows, it is what it is. Just have to hope for the best.

Agreed phya1 was kinda piss, chem 2 was a bit easier than this in my opinion... Some of my answers simply dont correspond to what people are putting on here so ent feeling good about phya2 and doubt i can make up for it in unit 4/5 realistically
Original post by davgen7
Agreed phya1 was kinda piss, chem 2 was a bit easier than this in my opinion... Some of my answers simply dont correspond to what people are putting on here so ent feeling good about phya2 and doubt i can make up for it in unit 4/5 realistically

I think i just expected CHEM 2 to be piss when they threw a few weird questions at us. In PHY 5 as long as you revise a lot you could get an A.
I think i just expected CHEM 2 to be piss when they threw a few weird questions at us. In PHY 5 as long as you revise a lot you could get an A.

Thanks for the motivation man, i needed it cus i was really banking on an A in this one

I agree, chem 2 was imo much more like the new spec than the spec we were actually supposed to ****ing do

**** aqa
Original post by davgen7
Thanks for the motivation man, i needed it cus i was really banking on an A in this one

I agree, chem 2 was imo much more like the new spec than the spec we were actually supposed to ****ing do

**** aqa

You tend to only remember questions that you struggled with anyway, good luck with the rest of your exams.

Quick Reply