The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
Indeed. I discussed this topic in a PM not too long ago. I think there is a pretty strong argument for undertaking such a policy:

Islam isn't banned in Angola or Japan. I know Muslims who have lived in Japan.

I wouldn't want to ban Islam.

Those numbers were quite spurprising (though they do make sense too).
Reply 401
Original post by QE2

Are you high?

I think that this statement is a terrific testimony of the level of brainwashing among Muslim communities and how children can be brainwashed by their parents. She obviously repeated something she heard elsewhere, eg. "they got their human rights from the Quran".
Original post by KimKallstrom
This common misquoting of this verse by Muslims has been a thing since professional BS artist Zakir Naik came out with it once in a sermon he did. Since barely of them have even read the Qur'an themselves, they keep spouting it as some sort of evidence that Islam is the religion of peace.

It's basically "it's bad if you kill an innocent person.......innocent being anybody who follows Islam" lol.

http://neutralreply.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_16.html
Ngl I stopped reading at "in their own countries".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fight Me
Why are more people concerned over the loss of western lives, than the loss of middle eastern lives, it does not make sense.

You do not know either of them, you do not know of their lives, so how can you feel closer to them?

You're being purposely obtuse. Things as simple as a shared language can make people closer like international students sticking together even though they know each other as much as they know the home students. Do you really expect people to show the same emotion for countries half a world away geographically, linguistically and culturally as they do their own?

I can only imagine the amount of homophobic attacks that must happen in Africa. People do care of course but just the same as the middle east it doesn't hit as hard as people who are more similar to yourself.
You know whats extremely sad about events like this?

And this goes without fail. Whenever the world is stuck by a terrorist attack why is it the first thing people want to do is somewhat defend or justify the attack.

All i've seen today on social media including TSR are people trying to justify Islam, "They dont represent the actions of us all", "dont generalise us" "Islam is peace not hate!" etc etc.

The funny thing is, you defending your own belief system BEFORE even showing any bit of sympathy for the victims shows me enough. It shows me that people have more of an issue with their precious beliefs been criticised than they do with 50 people being killed based on their sexuality.

Disgusting.
Original post by Cobalt_
You know whats extremely sad about events like this?

And this goes without fail. Whenever the world is stuck by a terrorist attack why is it the first thing people want to do is somewhat defend or justify the attack.

All i've seen today on social media including TSR are people trying to justify Islam, "They dont represent the actions of us all", "dont generalise us" "Islam is peace not hate!" etc etc.

The funny thing is, you defending your own belief system BEFORE even showing any bit of sympathy for the victims shows me enough. It shows me that people have more of an issue with their precious beliefs been criticised than they do with 50 people being killed based on their sexuality.

Disgusting.

I agree with the sentiment, but I disagree with the connotations that they lack sympathy; they needn't express sympathy to have sympathy.

Of course [expressed] sympathy would be appreciated though.

I guess some people just follow the idea of "The past is already written; the ink is dry." Or are just desensitised to it or are detached from it. (Not that these are necessarily good or alright though.)

I also disagree with the statement "Disgusting" as I don't think it's applicable to every person who does this; although presumably few in numbers, sociopaths exist, and I don't think it's their fault they lack empathy.

I don't mean to butcher a well-intentioned post, but things came to mind when I read your post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oblivion99
Muslim attitudes have changed since the 7th century. Okay the religious scriptures has played a part in homosexual discrimination, it has also been culture - as Islam has a strong and Arabian core influence. However these have changed, as we have moved towards the modern era's.

Yep, there's been a change alright.
Reply 408

Those justifications are all wrong.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yep, there's been a change alright.

Absolutely disgusting. I'm genuinely appalled and I'm usually meh to everything I see online.
So was he mentally ill or are they stil saying it's all to do with religion?
He was an islamic terrorist who pledged allegiance to ISIS.

Whether he was mentally ill is a different question
Secret services at it again with another false flag

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SamuraiSami
Hi, but not all Muslims "force" their religious teachings onto others, this mass killing has lead to a huge number of casualties, but it was not all Muslims who did this, as by saying Muslims means you are implying the entire Muslim community- which is not true. Majority of the Muslims right now are at home fasting, lazing around at home, either watching the football match, practicing the religion e.g praying, reading the qur'an or some may be sleeping. So it is not all Muslims being radical and killing the western world, it is only a small minority as there are roughly 1.6 billion Muslims globally. So think before you rage your thoughts on the internet and calm down. I for one am a Muslim, i think it is horrible for what has happened and i give my condolences to them. I am not homophobic, in fact i have a classmate who is also my friend and she is lesbian/ bisexual ( she changes her mind but she is in between these two choices). I do not hate her or despise or "force" my religious teachings onto her.

Hi, you should have read the topic that I was discussing... I was discussing an organisation that is LGBT and have set out with the aim to make Muslims more accepting of gay people. I was saying that some Muslims will not agree with their lifestyle and it is not right to force someone to accept something their religion clearly outlines as wrong.
Original post by JohnGreek
Because I'm allowed to voice my contempt for your silly stories in any civil way pleases me. It's funny because the whole "disrespect" thing is something that all religious followers fall into the trap of saying - there's no reason why I should have any degree of respect for people who blindly follow antiquated faiths, or indeed for those religions themselves. This applies itself to Christianity in exactly the same way that it applies itself to all other faiths. If I disagree with something you believe in, your feelings are frankly the least of my concerns. Sorry if that comes across as rude, but it's the sad and honest truth.

Edit: TSR stopping me from hurting other users' feelings, as usual. Lovely.

If I were to reply to you in the same rhetoric as you did to me about gay people then I am liable to be sued.. How is that fair?? While the LGBT group is arguing over which toilets they should use, people are dying and criminals are running around with guns shooting innocent people. So you tell me, is it right that life-saving legislation that can ban any Tom, Dick and Harry getting their hands on a gun is being ignored whilst we argue over which toilet a transgender person should use??? Nevertheless, how is it that my feelings are the least of your concerns and indeed you will never be held accountable for what you say to me but if someone were to speak against gay people they lose their jobs, they are discriminated against. If you don't want to be discriminated against, then don't forget that people of the other viewpoint don't want to be either.
Reply 416
Original post by xxvine
So was he mentally ill or are they stil saying it's all to do with religion?
Anyone who can walk into a club and shoot 50 people is obviously mentally ill.
However, it seems likely that he would not have taken that action without the religion providing some kind of justification and validation.
Given beating your wife is allowed in Islam how can those saying this is proof he was mentally ill make this claim?
Original post by ShaminiPamini
Nevertheless, how is it that my feelings are the least of your concerns and indeed you will never be held accountable for what you say to me but if someone were to speak against gay people they lose their jobs, they are discriminated against. If you don't want to be discriminated against, then don't forget that people of the other viewpoint don't want to be either.

You seem annoyed LGBT rights are given precedence of the rights of believers
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 419
Original post by ShaminiPamini
If I were to reply to you in the same rhetoric as you did to me about gay people then I am liable to be sued.. How is that fair??
Your religion is a choice.
Your sexuality is not.

But why would you be sued for saying that you do not respect, or were not concerned about the feelings of, gays? You have every right to say that you are opposed to homosexuality, however, expect to have those views challenged as religiously inspired bigotry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending