The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by кяя
When revising does anyone else feel like you're "fake" revising even though you're making hella notes and trying your best? I feel like I'm not doing anything lol and just kidding myself.

exactly the same, I have made sooo many notes but when I try think back on everything ive done nothings stuck in my head lol
Original post by BethM98
can anyone doing addiction explain to me the biological approach to gambling and smoking briefly? my notes don't make sense :/

basically there are two different explanations,

firstly in terms of dopamine- nicotine creates high levels of dopamine as it is positively rewarding. some individuals have an A1 variant of a dopamine receptor gene which means they have less dopamine receptors and therefore need something to boost dopamine levels.
in terms of gambling, playing slot machine creates an adrenaline rush. some individuals have a sensation seeking personality where they like this rush and therefore are more likely to become addicted

the other explanation is genetics- suggests we inherit a predisposition making it likely to develop an addiciton. here you would use twin studies etc to back up your points

thats really brief but hope it makes sense!
Original post by evekay
exactly! i mean i've got my 10 markers for the predictions, one of which is cognitive explanations.. but i havent done biological or learning yet and think i might just skim over them and get my head around them! there's just too much to learn-_-

I agree :s-smilie: I meant to revise all weekend so I would have time to cover everything well but that didn't happen hahaha
Is spearman's rho just with ordinal data? My notes are all saying different things!
Original post by Lucytal
Is spearman's rho just with ordinal data? My notes are all saying different things!

spearmans rho is for ordinal/interval data, but the defining feature is that it is for relationships/associations rather than a test of difference
Original post by ellawhite4686

thats really brief but hope it makes sense!

that's so helpful thank you!! : )
I am so going to flop this exam tomorrw :frown:
In media, when they give you an applied question for 10 marks, are you supposed to include supporting studies in your answer? Sometimes they say refer to psychological research in your answer so I'm assuming you do then, but then sometimes they just say use the holvand yale model to support your explanation so would you use supporting studies then? And would you include methodological critique?
Original post by BethM98
I agree :s-smilie: I meant to revise all weekend so I would have time to cover everything well but that didn't happen hahaha

literally exactly the same here, i stayed up all night Saturday and was revising on two hours sleep yesterday... so nothing went in haha, i'm screwed basically!
Reply 5089
Original post by lucywedgbrow
Because they published a second paper last year i really don't know what is going to come up, celebrity worship and stalking is my least favourite things and I'm not that good at it. It came up last year in the replacement paper so I'm not sure if they will do it again this year or if they won't because they did it last year. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thing is, is that they'll be repeating so much this year! With the paper ordeal last year... So!
Original post by evekay
haven't done models of addiction yet... how much focus shall i put on it? like is it likely to come up?

OMG same!! Im still trying to finish research methods. Im not focusing too much on it and am planing to only revise A01 and basic general points for A02 cause i wanna spend the rest of the day doing a general revision and making sure i remember by essays, other sections of addiction and practice some research methods Q cause i suck at them.

They're likely to come up so ya make sure you have something to say atleast for any of the stages and the models.
Reply 5091
Original post by anniemp
In media, when they give you an applied question for 10 marks, are you supposed to include supporting studies in your answer? Sometimes they say refer to psychological research in your answer so I'm assuming you do then, but then sometimes they just say use the holvand yale model to support your explanation so would you use supporting studies then? And would you include methodological critique?

Yes.
for media, can they ask the pos/neg effects of computers or is it just video games?
Original post by babitajades
OMG same!! Im still trying to finish research methods. Im not focusing too much on it and am planing to only revise A01 and basic general points for A02 cause i wanna spend the rest of the day doing a general revision and making sure i remember by essays, other sections of addiction and practice some research methods Q cause i suck at them.

They're likely to come up so ya make sure you have something to say atleast for any of the stages and the models.

same aha! thank you though, i'll make sure to get something remembered for the other explanations.

how on earth are you revising research methods? i basically havent touched on it as i don't even know where to start, like what do we even need to know for it?:s
Here's a chart I made for the tests, hopefully it will help someone:

Original post by evekay
literally exactly the same here, i stayed up all night Saturday and was revising on two hours sleep yesterday... so nothing went in haha, i'm screwed basically!

I feel you :s-smilie: and I'm meant to be smashing this paper cause I messed up the first paper :'(
Original post by ellawhite4686
spearmans rho is for ordinal/interval data, but the defining feature is that it is for relationships/associations rather than a test of difference

Someone said that it was ordinal/interval but my notes say Ordinal (taking a score) and i saw this somewhere online too because i researched just in case my notes were wrong. So i definitely think it's Ordinal. Nominal is for Chi Square and everything else is Ordinal/interval
IMG_4843.JPG
Original post by evekay
same aha! thank you though, i'll make sure to get something remembered for the other explanations.

how on earth are you revising research methods? i basically havent touched on it as i don't even know where to start, like what do we even need to know for it?:s

hahaha, i've included a list of things that covers everything in research methods. The ones in bullet points are the stuff you've learnt in A2 and i suggest learning those fist as the questions are most likely to come up and also because you're already familiar with As stuff.

One amazing user had posted a link that covers all the research methods seciton and i honestly think you don't even need to look at your notes to revise- just follow the document haha. (but you probably should still look at your notes as they may be more easier to understand xD)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/050vv14ktr0djck/Psychology%20Revision%20-%20Research%20Methods%20Topic.pdf?dl=1

pls give me some rep xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by intelligent con
anyone have any idea why grade boundaries are so low for these papers? On some papers you only need like 70% of the raw marks to get full ums

It's a hard paper, relies on knowledge and being able to adapt to the question or apply to the scenario for research methods (which is hard anyway!) and media section or other you may be doing
Also, grade boundaries for this paper fluctuates a lot! 2015- A* was 57/83 yet 64/83 was an A* in 2015 (that's 7 marks higher :redface:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey I'm stuck on the 2015 paper AQA unit 4 question 21. Why is the level of significance 0.01 and not 0.05 can someone help me please ?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending