The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

DAMMMN. I have the large booklet for the spec, and I just read ''candidates may be expected to interpret gas chromatograms and mass spectra''. Mass spectra is fine but is gas chromatograms the injector/detector labelling thing?!
Original post by ajohnston756
does anyone know where to find the f324 june 2015 mark scheme? Or even an unofficial one?

f324 2015:
Do normal alcohols react with Na/NaOH to form salts or nah?

I'm confusing myself :frown: I know Phenols and COOH do! But what about normal alcohols
Original post by itsConnor_
Oh ok, I forgot that for hydrolysis. Would it be safe to say '(conc.)' whenever you mention an acid?

Typically yes, but for the hydrolysis of esters you use dilute acid.
Original post by RayMasterio

I'm confusing myself :frown: I know Phenols and COOH do! But what about normal alcohols

They don't. Phenol is a weak acid. Find out why :smile:
Original post by RayMasterio

nah they don't, only phenol does
With sodium hydroxide solutionPhenol reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to give a colourless solution containing sodium phenoxide.In this reaction, the hydrogen ion has been removed by the strongly basic hydroxide ion in the sodium hydroxide solution.

Think it's to do with carboxylic acids and phenol being weak acids
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 966
Original post by jerseyalevel
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the June 2015 paper would you?

i have it and the m.s but i dont have a link just the file, i can email it to u? just d.m me ur email

Posted from TSR Mobile

go to chemhume.co.uk

>A2 chemistry
>Past Papers
What are the chances of us being tested on organic practical methods? I know we get tested on them via. the controlled assessments, but is it possible for them to ask us to describe the method of purifying etc?
For the shorthand formula of fatty acids, in the spec, it gives an example on the side which is like octadec-9,12-anoic acid, 18,2(9,12) but in the OCR text book it said "two numbers separated by a colon" and for the same compound it said the shorthand notation would be 18:2(9,12)..... so would you follow the spec or the book? and when I googled it, it was separated by a colon
Original post by FutureMedic97
For the shorthand formula of fatty acids, in the spec, it gives an example on the side which is like octadec-9,12-anoic acid, 18,2(9,12) but in the OCR text book it said "two numbers separated by a colon" and for the same compound it said the shorthand notation would be 18:2(9,12)..... so would you follow the spec or the book? and when I googled it, it was separated by a colon

18:2(9,12) Do we need to name these fatty acids? Like say a 24 carbon chain or is it just gonna be up to 10?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kwj0elokp2hco0c/AADgT1LXHwXXFXE6S-r2mI-Pa?dl=0
Reply 972
For reduction of ketones/carboxylic acids, if you use NaBH4, is there a colour change from orange to green as well?
Reply 973
What are the chances of us being tested on organic practical methods? I know we get tested on them via. the controlled assessments, but is it possible for them to ask us to describe the method of purifying etc?

I doubt they would..

Anyone know for sure?
Original post by AqsaMx
For reduction of ketones/carboxylic acids, if you use NaBH4, is there a colour change from orange to green as well?

I don't think so because you're not using Potassium dichromate
As far as mark schemes are concerned, are heat and reflux interchangeable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jontypickles
As far as mark schemes are concerned, are heat and reflux interchangeable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For acid/alkali hydrolosis I'd say so not good for other things though. Like Heat is needed in a Esterification reaction but I'm not sure reflux would pass, check that out.

Rings, Polymers and analysis (the first exam) 😀 I just can't see why there's only one environment.
Hi guys,
How would you know where a repeat unit ends for hydroxyl acids, I see only one unit is drawn not showing the ester bond.
Original post by ForeverDay
Rings, Polymers and analysis (the first exam) 😀 I just can't see why there's only one environment.

Oh, duh. Just want to make sure it's the rifht one:
1465814560978.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest