The Student Room Group

GCSE History B 2016 (OCR)

Scroll to see replies

what sort of structure will you follow for the 16 mark question? not too sure how to answer it
what structure will you do for the 16 mark?
Original post by ojmorgs
what structure will you do for the 16 mark?

Do it like how you would do a 10 marker but add sources and a paragraph on source evaluation
How we all finding revision for the second paper? If you wanna find a good youtube playlist then these old BBC bitesize videos tell you everything you need!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxBqZrkXd2AlPNm-qsVJyBXt3TPUhq9cP
Original post by Fatimah21
Do it like how you would do a 10 marker but add sources and a paragraph on source evaluation

ok thanks a lot, good luck!
Original post by ojmorgs
what sort of structure will you follow for the 16 mark question? not too sure how to answer it

Hi ojmorgs,

My teacher gave me a really good formula.
It's called APECKA.

To answer the questions we were given these steps. In this case, the question was : "The liberal reforms were welcomed by all." How far do you agree with this interpretation? Use your knowledge of British Society 1890-1918 and the sources to explain your answer."

Remember, HOW FAR is 2 words. This needs two sides.

1.Write an introduction. This should be 2 sided and raise key issues.
"I partially agree with this statement and my knowledge and the sources offer two very different interpretations. The Liberal Reforms were definitely welcomed by the people who benefitted by them but it was opposed by the people who had to pay for them through taxes and those who disagreed with the government offering so much help."

2. Draw 2 columns and divide the sources into the 2 sides of the argument.

3. Now use the APECKA formula to spend about 12 minutes writing about 1 side of the argument (Try and do it in 10. Helps with timing)

A- Source A suggests that the reforms were welcomed by some but not all people in Britain
P- It says that Elderly poor pensioners were grateful for pensions
E- In the source, the poor old man says that pensions "are a wunnerful comfort to me"
CK- His view in the source represents that at the time, many old people were saved the humiliation of having to rely on their families or the workhouse for old age. The 5s per week allowed them to get enough food to stay in their own homes and retain dignity.
A- However, because it is a Liberal propaganda poster designed to get support for the reform, it shouldn't be taken as reliable evidence to prove that the reforms were welcomed.

Now repeat the process for 2-3 the sources

4- Follow the same APECKA formula for the other side of the argument

5- Make a final judgement. "Overall, it seems the reforms were welcomed/not welcomed because..."

A= Argument
P=Point
E=Evidence
CK= Facts and contextual knowledge
A= Analysis. Use NOP. The nature, origin and purpose of the source to assess it's reliability

hope this helps
-Matt
Also, for the other questions, these formulas will help :smile:

"Why was this source published" OR "What is the message"

PECK

Point
Evidence from source
Contextual Knowledge

"How useful" OR "How far are you surprised" etc

PECKS

Point
Evidence from source
Contextual Knowledge
Side (state other side of argument. What source doesn't show and add CK)

"Which of these is more reliable" OR "which of these is more typical of attitudes at the time" etc

PECK PECK JUDGEMENT

Point
Evidence from source
Contextual Knowledge
Point
Evidence from source
Contextual Knowledge
Judgement

hope this helps you all :smile:

-Matt
3 posts in a row woah but here are some fact sheets and tests for The Home Front, Women and The Liberal Reforms :smile:

Good luck tomorrow!

-Matt
I'm doing 1945 onwards for the British Depth Study, anyone got any predictions for the paper?
Original post by batt_mellamy
Hi ojmorgs,

My teacher gave me a really good formula.
It's called APECKA.

To answer the questions we were given these steps. In this case, the question was : "The liberal reforms were welcomed by all." How far do you agree with this interpretation? Use your knowledge of British Society 1890-1918 and the sources to explain your answer."

Remember, HOW FAR is 2 words. This needs two sides.

1.Write an introduction. This should be 2 sided and raise key issues.
"I partially agree with this statement and my knowledge and the sources offer two very different interpretations. The Liberal Reforms were definitely welcomed by the people who benefitted by them but it was opposed by the people who had to pay for them through taxes and those who disagreed with the government offering so much help."

2. Draw 2 columns and divide the sources into the 2 sides of the argument.

3. Now use the APECKA formula to spend about 12 minutes writing about 1 side of the argument (Try and do it in 10. Helps with timing)

A- Source A suggests that the reforms were welcomed by some but not all people in Britain
P- It says that Elderly poor pensioners were grateful for pensions
E- In the source, the poor old man says that pensions "are a wunnerful comfort to me"
CK- His view in the source represents that at the time, many old people were saved the humiliation of having to rely on their families or the workhouse for old age. The 5s per week allowed them to get enough food to stay in their own homes and retain dignity.
A- However, because it is a Liberal propaganda poster designed to get support for the reform, it shouldn't be taken as reliable evidence to prove that the reforms were welcomed.

Now repeat the process for 2-3 the sources

4- Follow the same APECKA formula for the other side of the argument

5- Make a final judgement. "Overall, it seems the reforms were welcomed/not welcomed because..."

A= Argument
P=Point
E=Evidence
CK= Facts and contextual knowledge
A= Analysis. Use NOP. The nature, origin and purpose of the source to assess it's reliability

hope this helps
-Matt

thank a lot. this is really useful. good luck!
Original post by ojmorgs
thank a lot. this is really useful. good luck!

you too!! and no worries :smile:
Does anybody know what the 2015 november and june papers were on? eg liberal reforms, women or homefront?
Hi guys,

I do OCR History B GCSE, and for Paper 1 I did the Cold War and Germany Depth Study -- both went extremely well!

For tomorrow's paper (I do 1939-1975) can the NHS as its own topic come up? :mwuaha:I think OCR would be so so so evil to do such a thing, but - alas - it's OCR.....
Original post by girlr9672
Does anybody know what the 2015 november and june papers were on? eg liberal reforms, women or homefront?

2015 june was mainly liberal reforms with one source on the war
Original post by Username1502
Hi guys,

I do OCR History B GCSE, and for Paper 1 I did the Cold War and Germany Depth Study -- both went extremely well!

For tomorrow's paper (I do 1939-1975) can the NHS as its own topic come up? :mwuaha:I think OCR would be so so so evil to do such a thing, but - alas - it's OCR.....

I'm doing the same things as you :3 I just hope immigration doesn't come up as it has come up 2 years in a row and it was also in the sample paper. If immigration comes up, I will fail that paper because I have not revised it at all (or learned/taught it properly tbh). I'm okay with women and teenagers... we just need to hope the questions aren't disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I'm_infires
I'm doing the same things as you :3 I just hope immigration doesn't come up as it has come up 2 years in a row and it was also in the sample paper. If immigration comes up, I will fail that paper because I have not revised it at all (or learned/taught it properly tbh). I'm okay with women and teenagers... we just need to hope the questions aren't disgusting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi are the possible exam topics just teenagers, women or immigration there's no others is there?
Original post by olivia224
Hi are the possible exam topics just teenagers, women or immigration there's no others is there?

Yup, the paper will either solely be based on immigration, teenagers or women. It's never a mixture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Probs gonna suffragettes and 1 source of something else or i think warfront then suffragette source
Original post by I'm_infires
I'm doing the same things as you :3 I just hope immigration doesn't come up as it has come up 2 years in a row and it was also in the sample paper. If immigration comes up, I will fail that paper because I have not revised it at all (or learned/taught it properly tbh). I'm okay with women and teenagers... we just need to hope the questions aren't disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah totally -- but you never know it could end up being Immigration....
Whatever comes up I am okay with as i have revised all 3; however for this paper it's more about the sources than your own knowledge IMHO.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username1502
Yeah totally -- but you never know it could end up being Immigration....
Whatever comes up I am okay with as i have revised all 3; however for this paper it's more about the sources than your own knowledge IMHO.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is about the sources so not knowing contextual knowledge will hinder a few marks in the others and probably 7 marks in the 16 marker. I don't even care anymore tho. If immigration comes up, I'll do it... but I won't be getting an A... a C if I'm lucky 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending