The Student Room Group

If you don't leave the EU you're weak

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedArsey
Typical British people too scared to stand up for themselves and let their voices be heard, its time to change, its time to leave.

Absolutely mate. We need to make a stand, otherwise we will fall into a EU dictatorship cage where we will not be able to vote out for a VERY long time where they will rob us.
Reply 61
So if I don't vote Leave I'm not standing up for myself?

Right.
Original post by XcitingStuart
It's pathetic that someone has up-voted you when you haven't even provided your reasons / reasoning.

From this we can only presume your reasoning is "because Cameron said so." / "because many economists said so." / "because authority / authorities said so."

Now this is to you and everyone else...

Staying in the EU is also a gamble; you're being optimistic as to whether the EU is going to have any reforms, you're taking a gamble as to whether the shrinking trading bloc is going to reverse its situation (only shrinking trading bloc in the world!)

It's deplorable, really, and it's deplorable you're going to be giving up my democratic influence on my behalf. I don't care if you want to be told what to do and I don't care if you don't want to have the option in the future, but I do care when you take everyone else down with you.

Akin to suicide bombers.

You see, its not pathetic that people are up voting me its pathetic that you use the word 'pathetic' for those who wish to remain. I'm tired of scare tactics and insults when they do not further an argument and that is exactly what you are doing.

I wish to remain for a number of reasons and as you have called out my opinion I thought I would give you a summary of why I believe we should remain in the EU:

1 in 10 British jobs depend on the EU and the British membership
The EU has helped secure peace in Europe leading to a bundle of democracys
The EU has decreased discrimination.....we now have equal pay for men and women for example
Currently, 45 per cent of the UK’s exports are to the EU, while 50 per cent of imports are from the EU (THIS FOR ME IS A BIG STATISTIC)

Now these are just some of the few reasons why I believe that staying in the EU is not only the better option but the only safe option for our future generations.

Lets not take the risk on future British life and work to make the EU better rather than abandon it altogether.
Original post by JamesN88
You call Remain voters weak-minded and impressionable and then proceed to come out with nonsense like this.

exactly.
Original post by Frankie32
Leaving the EU would be a mistake as it's a gamble.Some gambles are worth taking but this is definitely not worth it as your not just gambling your own life but our future generations too.

speaking of gambling here are the latest odds ....

brexit odds7.png

i am sure that the bookmakers have studied all the relevant sources to arrive at these figures :h:
Original post by the bear

brexit odds7.png

i am sure that the bookmakers have studied all the relevant sources to arrive at these figures :h:

brexit odds7.png

Bookmakers can be wrong.....I thought you would've knows that after this year. I mean Leicester one the Premier League on odds of 5000/1.
Original post by MedArsey
Typical British people too scared to stand up for themselves and let their voices be heard, its time to change, its time to leave.

That was a really strong argument!!! You've certainly won me over. :undefined:rolleyes

Original post by sleepysnooze
I certainly relate to your opinion in one sense - if people will ultimately vote economically and not democratically, in the sense that they will rather get more money to give away their democratic rights, then they are nothing but slaves to the perceived pimp that is the EU. they know that the EU is bad for democracy and the health of the nation-state, but like heroin, they need their fix of the EU, regardless of that long term damage (in both economic and democratic metrics in the sense that we can control our own rationally-calculated trade arrangements as one country from outside) because they can't perceive of the long term as a concept - only the short term gain in defiance of what is over the horizon. even if we have to go through a recession, a very small one if any (which I don't even accept as a possibility), then it will be worth it, because the EU, regardless of what is promised to us, will still inevitably keep growing. it is laughable to say we won't be integrated into it more and more legally when the project is destined to become a super state - anybody who knows the history of the EU and its establishment knows this. the people who argue that we need to stay in the EU because of economics are those same people who will, by the time the EU becomes the USE, argue still for economics even when our democracy is almost not even there anymore.

Why do you take issue with the possibility of a European superstate? You've identified it as an issue, but not explained why.

Also, what do you mean by 'health of the nation state'?

Also, could you expand on your description of the EU as 'undemocratic'. Ofc I'm aware of the traditional argument that says EU officials are unelected (*I am not disputing that this is undemocratic*), I was just wondering if you had anything to add to this.
Original post by Naveed-7
Absolutely mate. We need to make a stand, otherwise we will fall into a EU dictatorship cage where we will not be able to vote out for a VERY long time where they will rob us.

I'm pretty sure we'd be able to have another referendum - the EU cannot deny us this.

How will they rob us?
Original post by WhiteMan16

yes they asked Labour supporters too.

The EU can't block us from having another referendum down the line. As an in supporter I'd say we need another referendum if we stay in, this one has been handled really quite terribly.
Reply 71
brexit odds7.png

Bookies don't set their odds on what's likely, they set their odds on what people bet
Original post by EuanF
Bookies don't set their odds on what's likely, they set their odds on what people bet

sooooo people are betting that we are staying in ? :dontknow:
Reply 73
sooooo people are betting that we are staying in ? :dontknow:

Were betting, the odds are shifting towards leave now though, much more money going to it
Original post by EuanF

Lol as if the American war of independence was a referendum.

Delusional.
Reply 75
Original post by Sisuphos
Lol as if the American war of independence was a referendum.

Delusional.

The point itself still stands - we're just fighting by ballot, not bullet.

Really?

Any member state can leave at any time if they wish to by invoking article 50. We wouldn't be having this referendum otherwise.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "rob us"?
Original post by EuanF
The point itself still stands - we're just fighting by ballot, not bullet.

No it doesn't mate. The EU is not akin to the British Empire. Proof: the UK is having a referendum about whether to stay in the EU, it didn't need to have a war to get out. Tens of thousands of people didn't have to die and families destroyed for UK's "independence". Even disregarding the fact that the UK itself democratically decided to join the EU (EEC) in the first place (with overwhelming numbers of Britons voting yes).

It's just hilarious to compare it with a brutal war. Adams's thundering condemnations of his compatriots have no place here other than to convince self-satisfied buffoons into thinking they're remotely similar to the A. revolutionaries.
(edited 7 years ago)
part of me hopes we leave, just so the arrogant people that are 100% sure that leaving the EU is the best thing, and refuse to listen to anyone elses opinions are knocked back to reality when they realise *gasp* they aren't always right so shouldn't act all high-and-mighty.
Original post by JamesN88
Really?

Any member state can leave at any time if they wish to by invoking article 50. We wouldn't be having this referendum otherwise.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "rob us"?

What I mean by robbing us is making us pay them +8.5 billion pounds every week to the EU. This money could have been used on improving our own economy, make new businesses, jobs, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending