The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

It stays at 4.20. Water only partially dissociates and very weakly at that. Therefore it only changes pH by +- 0.01 if that. mostly, doesn't change pH
Original post by Gezza_O'Brien
So the 5 peaks on the M/Z are
Carbon-12
Hydrogen-1
Oxygen-16
Chlorine-35
Chlorine-37

And then the for the most abundant peak
1) get an average abundance for Cl-35 and Cl-37

So (37x25+35x75)/100

Which gives you 35.5

2)most abundant peak is the molecular ion
So basically add up the Mr

12*12 + 1*4 + 2*16 + 4*35.5 = 322.0

Posted from TSR Mobile

your explanation for part a is wrong. its the configurations of Cl 35 and Cl 37

Peak 1: all 4 Cls are 35
peak 2: 3 Cls are 35 and 1 is Cl 37
peak 3: 2 Cls are 35 and 2 Cls are 37
etc.

so 5 different peaks
Yeah exactly. So if you were to add, say, HCl instead of NaOH, then there is more H+ ions in the equilibrium that need to be used, so the equilibrium shifts to the left (to use up H+) so there is less Y- and more HY, so you take the moles of HCl from Y- and you add them to HY, then put the new moles into Kc blah blah blah, does that make sense? Tbf it's pretty confusing but you've just got to think about it in terms of what's happening to the equilibrium

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh sort of I will look into it a bit later,

Do you mind helping me with 4ei and 4eii.
I thought NaOH causes the amino acid to be split up again.
And Im not sure what ethanoyl chloride dos
Just for Reference guys;

Terylene is a polyester made from 1-4 benzene dicarboxylic acid + ethane-1-2-diol

Kevlar is a polyamide - Benene 1-4 diamine + Benzene 1-4 dicarboxylic acid

Nylon 6-6 - Polyamide - 1-6 diaminohexane + 1--6 hexanedioic acid
Original post by ravichauhan11
your explanation for part a is wrong. its the configurations of Cl 35 and Cl 37

Peak 1: all 4 Cls are 35
peak 2: 3 Cls are 35 and 1 is Cl 37
peak 3: 2 Cls are 35 and 2 Cls are 37
etc.

so 5 different peaks

Oh crap sorry. There was me thinking I actually understood this lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Super199
yh sort of I will look into it a bit later,

Do you mind helping me with 4ei and 4eii.
I thought NaOH causes the amino acid to be split up again.
And Im not sure what ethanoyl chloride dos

NaOH is a strong base, which functional group of the amino acid will react with the base?

For the reaction with Ethanoyl Chloride, what part of the amino acid will act as a nucleophile?
Original post by Greenemma
It stays at 4.20. Water only partially dissociates and very weakly at that. Therefore it only changes pH by +- 0.01 if that. mostly, doesn't change pH

OH that makes sense, thank you so much!
Original post by Parallex
NaOH is a strong base, which functional group of the amino acid will react with the base?

For the reaction with Ethanoyl Chloride, what part of the amino acid will act as a nucleophile?

Im not sure sorry :redface:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465816662.937155.jpg

I find it helps to write out the actual chemical equations so you can see what's going on

Posted from TSR Mobile

What year is this question from?
Im not sure sorry :redface:

Bases react with acids in a neutralisation reaction, an amino acid has a carboxylic acid group.

The reaction with ethanoyl chloride is the exact same as any nucleophile attacking the electron-deficient carbon. Reaction between ammonia and ethanoyl chloride? Just so happens that an amino acid has the N with a lone pair that will react in the same way.
Original post by Cakey_101
What year is this question from?

Jan 2011. Very worthwhile practicing these questions, you can lose a decent amount of marks if you don't know what you're doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah. You're looking at how much excess there is after neutralisation. If it's a strong acid then you have to multiply by 2 because it will fully dissociate and 2H+ is available for neutralisation.

im so confused you've bypassed my question and contradicted yourself so many times
Can anyone think of anything from AS we need to go over? Like do we need to know like the UV thingy and shapes and stuff like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just gonna bump this lmao I need answers please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sniperdon227
im so confused you've bypassed my question and contradicted yourself so many times

2 people including myself have tried answering whatever you're asking, I literally don't even know what else you want me to say. There's nothing to it other than that...

Reacts with COOH - weak acid strong base

B.) the NH2 - it's a nucleophilic addition elimination mechanism

I wrote the mechanism out if it helps you imagine it

OOPs; just realised i didn't do the other COOH group, but that would be the same too! Sorry
(edited 7 years ago)
Bases react with acids in a neutralisation reaction, an amino acid has a carboxylic acid group.

The reaction with ethanoyl chloride is the exact same as any nucleophile attacking the electron-deficient carbon. Reaction between ammonia and ethanoyl chloride? Just so happens that an amino acid has the N with a lone pair that will react in the same way.

hmm ok but it seems quite complicated to draw?
hmm ok but it seems quite complicated to draw?

Eh not really. Look at the post above yours. :smile:
Original post by hopingmedicinae
Reacts with COOH - weak acid strong base

B.) the NH2 - it's a nucleophilic addition elimination mechanism

I wrote the mechanism out if it helps you imagine it

OOPs; just realised i didn't do the other COOH group, but that would be the same too! Sorry

Eh not really. Look at the post above yours. :smile:

Got it cheers :smile:
If it doesn't ask you to leave your answer to a specific d.p, does that mean you can round it to any decimal place?? doesn't really say on the mark schemes???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending