The Student Room Group

You do not need anyone's permission to criticise Islam.

The only way to tackle fascism, and this shooting is as clear a case of fascism as you'll ever see, is by addressing the problem head on.

These terrorist attacks aren't everything to do with Islam, but it is clearly something to do with it and you do not need permission from anyone to state that.

Homosexuality is an act of love, religion are sets of ideas, SOME of which are deeply hateful. I stand united with love and united against ALL FORMS of fascism.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-news/working-class-media-and-muslims-banned-from-criticising-islam/
A lot of people say its a misinterpretation of Islam.

I'd say its more of a violent approach to a different interpretation that your's. It can't be a misinterpretation when there isn't an absolute interpretation in the first place.

Making such a statement isn't Islamophobic, it isn't meant to be. Its an attempt to strive towards a more tolerant and open-minded practice of the faith - one that most Muslims in the Western world already do.
Reply 2
Original post by BristolFresher15

I'd say its more of a violent approach to a different interpretation that your's. It can't be a misinterpretation when there isn't an absolute interpretation in the first place.

Making such a statement isn't Islamophobic, it isn't meant to be. Its an attempt to strive towards a more tolerant and open-minded practice of the faith - one that most Muslims in the Western world already do.

Wholeheartedly agree.

But to indulge in a little narcissism of small differences, I'd say Islamophobia is a morally good thing to be. Muslimophobia is abhorrent and needs to be repelled.
Original post by Damien96
Wholeheartedly agree.

But to indulge in a little narcissism of small differences, I'd say Islamophobia is a morally good thing to be. Muslimophobia is abhorrent and needs to be repelled.

Fair enough. But taking from my point, Islamophobia is only good/warranted when dealing with those interpretations of the religion that preach/encourage intolerance and other harmful characteristics - not the general Islam, which is why I don't like to use it. And again Islamophobia itself is a silly word, it rightly describes the wrongful thinking that you call 'Muslimophobia', but isn't a word adept to describe the constructive criticism and reformation necessary for a more cohesive society.
Reply 4
Fair enough. But taking from my point, Islamophobia is only good/warranted when dealing with those interpretations of the religion that preach/encourage intolerance and other harmful characteristics - not the general Islam, which is why I don't like to use it. And again Islamophobia itself is a silly word, it rightly describes the wrongful thinking that you call 'Muslimophobia', but isn't a word adept to describe the constructive criticism and reformation necessary for a more cohesive society.

Yes and is designed to muddy the water and deflect any criticism.

As to your point, I can't disagree with that at all. My original point was just to highlight the nauseating practice of attacking anyone who dares to address the problem within Islam. This includes Gay Muslims, Feminist Muslims and secularist Muslims.

The worst apologists tend to be those who pat themselves on the back for being progressive. To me they have have blood on their hands.

Well said.

A lot of people are morons.

It isn't a coincidence that almost every single Islamic country has laws specifically persecuting homosexuals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who asks permission?
Original post by RayApparently
Who asks permission?

Haven't you got your permission slip from the mods?
Reply 10
Original post by DiddyDec

It isn't a coincidence that almost every single Islamic country has laws specifically persecuting homosexuals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Saying this has nothing to do with Islam is like saying the gay club was not targeted because of their sexuality. It's obscene and I've seen many examples of it today.
Original post by Damien96
Yeah. Saying this has nothing to do with Islam is like saying the gay club was not targeted because of their sexuality. It's obscene and I've seen many examples of it today.

People just want to find a way to defend a dangerous ideology because it is easier than accepting the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
People just want to find a way to defend a dangerous ideology because it is easier than accepting the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately yes.

It is far easier for a progressive to blame the West and worry about a fascist backlash than it is do deal with the fascism in front of their faces.

If any one left leaning, as I am, is sick of this, push back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. What we often see from many Muslim apologists when such Islamic related violence occurs, is that they'll condemn the individual and group i.e. Omar and ISIS, but they'll fall short on ever condemning Muslim role models and Islamic scripture/ideology used to justify such actions of Omar and ISIS, as the hatred, persecution and infliction of violence upon homosexuals and so continues Islamic related discrimination, oppression and violence...

"...The crime of homosexuality is one of the greatest of crimes, the worst of sins and the most abhorrent of deeds, and Allaah punished those who did it in a way that He did not punish other nations"

"...The Sahaabah were unanimously agreed on the execution of homosexuals, but they differed as to how they were to be executed. Some of them were of the view that they should be burned with fire, which was the view of ‘Ali and also of Abu Bakr , as we shall see below. And some of them thought that they should be thrown down from a high place then have stones thrown at them. This was the view of Ibn ‘Abbaas"

"...Some of them thought that they should be stoned to death, which was narrated from both ‘Ali and Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them)."

https://islamqa.info/en/38622

Map which appears to reveal most Muslim majority countries seek to persecute homosexuals...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/02/24/here-are-the-10-countries-where-homosexuality-may-be-punished-by-death/
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending