The Student Room Group

AQA A level LitB3 Elements of the Pastoral

Hey everyone- I couldn't find a forum for this exam- does anyone know if there is already one, and if so, could you please direct me? Thanks :smile: Otherwise, we can just discuss it here.
haha i was looking for it as well, i think most people on here are doing the Gothic anyways what are you studying and are you ready for the exam? :frown:. I'm doing Tess, As You Like It and William Blake poetry.
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
haha i was looking for it as well, i think most people on here are doing the Gothic anyways what are you studying and are you ready for the exam? :frown:. I'm doing Tess, As You Like It and William Blake poetry.

Hey! Yeah I found some pastoral forums but they were all from last year and even they had no answers! I'm doing Tess and Blake as well but I'm doing post 1945 pastoral poetry as well. I'm just worried at the moment that I don't know enough quotes for the exam, and I don't want to have to twist my answers round my quotes :/ what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophiestudies
Hey! Yeah I found some pastoral forums but they were all from last year and even they had no answers! I'm doing Tess and Blake as well but I'm doing post 1945 pastoral poetry as well. I'm just worried at the moment that I don't know enough quotes for the exam, and I don't want to have to twist my answers round my quotes :/ what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I haven't learnt enough quotes and I'm terrified that they're going to give us a difficult question but they should go easy on us we're the last year :tongue:. Are u doing Tess for section A or B?
(edited 7 years ago)
Same! I haven't learnt enough quotes and I'm terrified that they're going to give us a difficult question but they should go easy on us we're the last year :tongue:. Are u doing Tess for section A or B?

Yeah hopefully they've saved the nice questions until last! I honestly don't know- I'm preparing Tess and Blake for section A and then I'll see which question is better. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi, I'm doing this exam too with Tess, Blake and She Stoops to Conquer, so thought I'd join in :smile: I did a history exam on friday that was also the last year of that course, and they were really hard questions, so I wouldn't bet on them going easy on us :frown: (not to scare you haha)
Definitely doing Tess for section A, my teachers think section B will be religion but hopefully they're wrong xD
Any predictions?
Yeah hopefully they've saved the nice questions until last! I honestly don't know- I'm preparing Tess and Blake for section A and then I'll see which question is better. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm preparing Tess for Section A, we haven't learnt Shakespeare or Blake for section A so sadly I have no choice but to do Tess.

Original post by ailce
Hi, I'm doing this exam too with Tess, Blake and She Stoops to Conquer, so thought I'd join in :smile: I did a history exam on friday that was also the last year of that course, and they were really hard questions, so I wouldn't bet on them going easy on us :frown: (not to scare you haha)
Definitely doing Tess for section A, my teachers think section B will be religion but hopefully they're wrong xD
Any predictions?

Omg I'm soo scared now :frown:
My teacher predicted either customs and traditions because they haven't asked that since 2011, also the role of fate maybe as they've never asked that at all or it could be a typical pastoral question. But I honestly don't know, the bad thing about English is that it's not predictable at all which is so annoying.

How is your revision going?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm preparing Tess for Section A, we haven't learnt Shakespeare or Blake for section A so sadly I have no choice but to do Tess.

Omg I'm soo scared now :frown:
My teacher predicted either customs and traditions because they haven't asked that since 2011, also the role of fate maybe as they've never asked that at all or it could be a typical pastoral question. But I honestly don't know, the bad thing about English is that it's not predictable at all which is so annoying.

How is your revision going?

Ah I hope it's a typical pastoral question! I don't know what I'll do if it's not talbothays vs flintcomb ash!! 😛 revision is going in terms of I know the stuff technically, but I feel like I just won't know the quotes in the exam- it's really hard to revise quotes :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ah I hope it's a typical pastoral question! I don't know what I'll do if it's not talbothays vs flintcomb ash!! 😛 revision is going in terms of I know the stuff technically, but I feel like I just won't know the quotes in the exam- it's really hard to revise quotes :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it's always possible to make talbothays vs flintcombe ash fit with the question tbh :P if not then angel vs alec :smile:
I've done the whole post-it note with quotes on stuck around my mirror and that's actually sort of working, I know a few good ones, but atm I'm trying to write plans for every theme :smile:
not long to go....
Is anyone doing As You Like It? I'm going over the theme of work but struggling with As You Like It!
Reply 10
Im doing As You Like It, I think the theme of work relates more to the responsibility of their roles and how they differ in comparison to the court and the country. Orlando doesn't really have a working role in the court and is kept "rustically at home". It could be argued that, he has a larger role to play in the Forest...it is better suited to him than say his brother Oliver. Additionally, Rosalind has no real role in the court but is seen to flourish in the duties she bestows upon herself in the Forest such as resolving conflicts between Silvius and Phebe and teaching Orlando that being a Patriarchan lover is dangerous. It seems as though the characters whose roles in the court are more significant find it more difficult to establish themselves in the Forest of Arden, for example Jaques. It could also be mentioned that there are some characters exempt from this such as Touchstone, who in his role as the fool seems to find a certain degree of comfort in both environments.
Reply 11
My teachers have predicted a question coming up about the role of women in the pastoral which is great for AYLI and the pastoral poetry between 1300-1800
How did all of you find it?
I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the thread...As some as you have said, I've been looking for a pastoral litb3 forum for weeks and didn't find this till just now (convenient)! I did Tess, Blake and Arcadia (a play by Tom Stoppard). I personally didn't like the Tess/Blake Section As; thought they were more difficult than past years. The Tess one focused on only one character (Alec) and I don't think any of the other essays ever have before. I picked Tess for Section A and 'the significance of change' for Section B - Hope all of you found it alright! :h: x
Original post by revisionkills
How did all of you find it?
I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the thread...As some as you have said, I've been looking for a pastoral litb3 forum for weeks and didn't find this till just now (convenient)! I did Tess, Blake and Arcadia (a play by Tom Stoppard). I personally didn't like the Tess/Blake Section As; thought they were more difficult than past years. The Tess one focused on only one character (Alec) and I don't think any of the other essays ever have before. I picked Tess for Section A and 'the significance of change' for Section B - Hope all of you found it alright! :h: x

Hey! Welcome to our tiny thread haha :') I did Tess and Blake too but pastoral poetry after 1945 for my third text. I did Blake for section A (anyone else?) and I'm a bit worried because I didn't read the second part of the question until two paragraphs in 😁 for part b I did the third question on pastoral characters which was at differing qualities haha :') how did you and everyone else find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by revisionkills
'the significance of change'

Do you know that significance means different types of change, rather than its importance? (Well, that's the definition that was in the examiner report.) Because a lot of people mess that up. All the lower boundaries for me :smile:
Reply 15
Finally found it!

I really liked this exam the SSTC was beautiful and the part B was more then doable! I was struggling to put some things down for counters in AYLI and TOTD but overall quite confident :biggrin:! What do you think grade boundaries will be?
Original post by Kitta
Finally found it!

I really liked this exam the SSTC was beautiful and the part B was more then doable! I was struggling to put some things down for counters in AYLI and TOTD but overall quite confident :biggrin:! What do you think grade boundaries will be?

They're often quite high unfortunately, for A2 at least. A* is particularly hard to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending