The Student Room Group

Medicine at Masaryk University in Brno (Czech Republic)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by priyaroy789
Oh, for real? why?

I got two offers without having to fork out thousands as did most who sat exams earlier this year.

The uni has it's own course if you want it for €300 but most didn't bother with that and managed to get an offer for at least one Czech uni.
Original post by Cooliomed
I got two offers without having to fork out thousands as did most who sat exams earlier this year.

The uni has it's own course if you want it for €300 but most didn't bother with that and managed to get an offer for at least one Czech uni.

I wish i'd known before my mother paid, what did you think of the exam?
who did most people do?
I wish i'd known before my mother paid, what did you think of the exam?
who did most people do?

Ask for a refund. All I paid was a total of £280 and sat three exams.
Ask for a refund. All I paid was a total of £280 and sat three exams.

Yeah i might, what did you think of the exams though?
Yeah i might, what did you think of the exams though?

Charles was tough, Palacky was not bad, Masaryk in the middle.
Charles was tough, Palacky was not bad, Masaryk in the middle.

I'm doing Charles and Masaryk, but i studied in Australia so when i tried the sample papers there was a few things that are no longer in the Australian curriculum. Is it really not worth doing the course?
I'm doing Charles and Masaryk, but i studied in Australia so when i tried the sample papers there was a few things that are no longer in the Australian curriculum. Is it really not worth doing the course?

Well I used the medical doorway question bank. It was free when I signed up for the exams and I passed two of them!
Reply 287
hey can someone help me with this question. It's in the question bank from medical doorway.
"The radius of the inscribed circle of a right-angled triangle is 2 cm and the radius of its circumcircle is 6.5 cm. The perimeter of this triangle is equal:?"
Original post by Bunicornaces
Hello every, i'm a medical student at Masaryk university. I'm in my first year, 2nd semester. If you have any questions about the school or the course, i'll be glad to help.

hello, I was thinking to study at Masaryk too :smile: are there minimum grades required?
Original post by nanapow
hello,

i was a student at masaryk and i really advise no one to go there. It is as many heard, they will let you fail in the subjects to make you pay one more year. And if you are thinking that you could study your way out of this, forget it, it mind sound weird but for many exams you simply can't study and prepare yourself. It depends on luck wether you get a good or bad test/exam. I myself had ridiculously easy tests/exams and the impossible "i have never seen this" tests/exams. So i can really speak out of experience. Also, if you pass oral examinations totally depends on who your examiner is, and what mood he/she is in. You can study for 5 weeks and know everything by heart, yet they still make you fell like your the dumbest person alive and ask you about a topic which has nothing to do with the topics that you have picked out, just to let you fail if you cant answer them.

After the first year, more than 30% of the students are gone. After the second year 60% (in dentistry its even worse than that). It is not that those people got kicked out, they simply leave the university because of the whole system, which is horrible. The teachers and professors will treat you like you are some dummy, they have no respect whatsoever and the overall impression is that you are not really welcome there.

I found masaryk simply awful, and i believe that they are ripping people off. I would recommend to go to the prague universities, i heard much better things about them. All my former colleagues, who left the university by now, simply left because of the bad organization, harassment by teachers and impossible exams. Most of them went to poland, slowakia and so on.

Just think about this: You studied 4-5 weeks every day for a difficult exam, you know everything, you understood everything, yet the examiner keeps asking you during the oral part: Are you sure about this? (he asks more than ten times, no joke) and at some point you are not sure anymore, and thats when he tells you, well you should have been sure, because it was right and a simple thing on top of that. And you walk out of that door with an e (if you are lucky, but he/she probably failed you).

It is one of my biggest regrets that i went there. I am now writing my experience in the hope, that people are simply warned of that university. There are little to no information about masaryk in the internet from their (former) students, so i hope this gives a little insight about what is going on there.

listen and take heed on this advice guys :")))))
Original post by Sammar96
What do you mean by UPJS gives you support ? Do you mean UPJS lets you retake the exam?

I really like Palackyin Olomouc in the Czech Republic but if I get an offer from UPJS do you think I should take that instead ?

Hi I think you should consider either UPJS or Olomuc if you're starting off, they're both really good, but UPJS only teach slovak for two years and I think Olomuc teach it for four (look every single course up and its prerequisites !!!! then make a decision!)

IF you have subjects under your belt as a medical student from whichever university, I would say choose UPJS, the prerequisite system helps your progress as a student !
Hi, anyone doing exams this Saturday? Do you feel prepared? :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 292
Original post by MedicalStudent30
listen and take heed on this advice guys :":wink:))))

I am a junior doctor and a recent graduate of medicine from masaryk university faculty of medicine. as a response to nanapow on a earlier post, i really find what you said irrelevant about masaryk university.
I started my studies on 2011 and i just graduated recently. i have never failed a subject here and i have obtained A grade in most of my studies.
Masaryk university is ran by high standards and you can not expect to pass a subject without enough preparation.
30% of students in 1st year fail cause those 30% think med school is elementary school back in their home town and are not ready to take responsibility.
the university provides you with best student facilities,liberaries,canteen and internet access all around the city. the city of brno by itself is cheap,safe and friendly.
personally i am going to stay at city of brno and start my career here and i am an expat.
i am sorry for your terrible experience at masaryk university, but to me, sounds like you were just not ambitious enough about medicine to make it .
all the best
Masaryk University is worst school in Europe. It's a complete scam. The teachers speak English very poorly and the teaching in general has a very low standard. They make you fail courses for the stupidest reasons so you have to retake courses and pay even more money.
I did study there for two years, but I now study medicine in Poland, Krakow which is a whole different world.
There are so many other schools out there that are better than Masaryk, so don't waste your time applying.
They have very few clinical hours compared to Jagiellonian university in Krakow, which is why your level of clinical skills is dramatically reduced.
I was also harassed several times by teachers and professors - during classes and exams - and even sometimes sexually harassed. As a student, you have absolutely no rights. Most of my colleagues just left the school to study medicine in other uni's because Masaryk will treat you like you're complete ****.
If you want to keep your sanity and mental health, do not apply!
You can be as ambitious as you want, but it's still no guarantee you will make it.
To sum it up, I will not recommend this university in any aspects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VibekeSolem
Masaryk University is worst school in Europe. It's a complete scam. The teachers speak English very poorly and the teaching in general has a very low standard. They make you fail courses for the stupidest reasons so you have to retake courses and pay even more money.
I did study there for two years, but I now study medicine in Poland, Krakow which is a whole different world.
There are so many other schools out there that are better than Masaryk, so don't waste your time applying.
They have very few clinical hours compared to Jagiellonian university in Krakow, which is why your level of clinical skills is dramatically reduced.
I was also harassed several times by teachers and professors - during classes and exams - and even sometimes sexually harassed. As a student, you have absolutely no rights. Most of my colleagues just left the school to study medicine in other uni's because Masaryk will treat you like you're complete ****.
If you want to keep your sanity and mental health, do not apply!
You can be as ambitious as you want, but it's still no guarantee you will make it.
To sum it up, I will not recommend this university in any aspects.

Is this really true...
I keep hearinf so many good things about it but now this?
Reply 295
Original post by MedicalStudent30
listen and take heed on this advice guys :":wink:))))

As a previous student as Masaryk University, I second this. Stay away if you want to finish your degree on time :smile:
Reply 296
Original post by serendipity26
Is this really true...
I keep hearinf so many good things about it but now this?

As a previous student (I've now left - not graduated) I advice you to do yourself a favour and stay away from this uni
Completely agree with the junior dr^ (@DR.AAS )The problem with this forum is scaremongering. I'm a 3rd yr medic at Masaryk. Over the past couple of years I have heard all sorts of fabricated bs about why people didnt pass exams... take the person above who claims to have been harassed. I havent passed every exam first time. The reason I didnt pass was my own fault (mainly down to insufficient prep). The number of idiots who come to Brno expecting things to be handed to them on a silver platter still amazes me.

Once again for anyone who is unclear on what I'm saying - FOR MEDICINE, there is NOTHING wrong with the faculty :smile: If you fail here, its because you didnt know enough to pass...simple... just like in the UK. I cant speak for other courses like Dentistry but this is the case for medicine. If you decide to study medicine, be prepared to work harder than you ever have. Its not easy here just like its not easy anywhere else in the world. For those who want more assurances, the majority of the czech students get through the course fine.. it seems to be some of the international students who dont think its fair. In terms of oral exams, 4/5 weeks prep isnt always enough (it really depends on the subject). The examiners will only ever ask questions related to their subject... theyre not out there to trip you up. PM. reply on here for any qs :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 298
Hi All I have booked my exam for university and am in the process of preparing.I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on how to revise for the exams......Currently I am just using my A level revision guides to cover the content and using the question banks on the Medical Doorway website.( I have completed my A levels in Bio, Chem and Maths).Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by CT2004
Hi All I have booked my exam for university and am in the process of preparing.I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on how to revise for the exams......Currently I am just using my A level revision guides to cover the content and using the question banks on the Medical Doorway website.( I have completed my A levels in Bio, Chem and Maths).Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys :smile:

Hi there,

My best piece of advice is to try and get yourself onto a revision course (EMUCAS do a very good one). They provide all the resources, past papers and teach you with the sole aim to pass the exam. It is expensive and I'm not sure if it's a bit late to book a place but there's no harm trying. They have a pretty much 100% guarantee of getting you into a CZ med school with very high success. All the people who took the Masaryk exam in my class got in.
If you can't get a place then don't worry, just keep doing what you're doing and pay close attention to the syllabus because the CZ med schools like certain things and use special words for things etc.
The Masaryk exam really isn't that bad if you prepare for it. It's an exam where if you put in the hours, you have a very high chance of passing. Straight forward questions if you've revised your stuff.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending