The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BethM98
yeah and theres behavioural approach! what points do you have and I can give you some more if you need?

Yeah I need some please!!
For psychodynamic I have reducionist, and evidence of schizophregenic mothers from From-Reichman

For cognitive I have Yellowlees et al study and link between excess dopamine in prefrontral cortex

I need more please can you give me some?
Original post by kanelynne
If they ask a question on pro social affects of media will it be research or general theories eg 'social learning states that...', also can someone clarify how social learning theory actually explains pro social behaviour as its confusing me?

Previous exam questions such as Jan 2011 have asked "outline and evaluate one psychology explanation of media influence on prosocial behaviour" (6+6 marks)

June 2012 asked "discuss psychology research into media influences on pro-social behaviour (4+6 marks)

And Jan 2013 "discuss one or more explanations of media influence on prosocial behaviour" (4+6 marks)

So as you can see the questions are pretty similar so we are likely to get one of that format.

So for SLT, this is referring to learning through observation. We may observe a 'model' that we identify with on television or any other form of media and imiate the behaviour if the model is rewarded. Prosocial acts that are seen on television e.g. helping others are more likely to represent established social norms. Therefore, such prosocial acts are likely to reinforce our social norms. One may imitate a prosocial act if they observe the model to be rewarded, with the desire to be equally rewarded through recognition and praise, which encourages further prosocial behaviour.

So you can support this with research studies such as Sprafkin et al (1975) who found children who watched Lassie were more likely to help puppies in distress.

(This is not a complete model answer a few bits from my understanding)
for psychological explanations for the attraction of celebs, what ao1 points do I need?
Right now i've got too many notes involving Social learning, para-social relationships and the absorption addiction model.
Original post by Lucytal
That's really good! How do you revise it?

I've just gone through past papers and then reading mark schemes
Hi,
What do you think will come up for anomalistic?
I'm thinking magical thinking/ superstition/ psychic mediumship
Original post by SunDun111
For psychodynamic I have reducionist, and evidence of schizophregenic mothers from From-Reichman

For cognitive I have Yellowlees et al study and link between excess dopamine in prefrontral cortex

Psychodynamic
- freud blames the mothers, but lots of research shows that parents are actually really sensitive and caring towards child
- Because it can explain schizophrenia, surely it can also develop an effective therapy; there haven't been any major breakthroughs with patients who've had psychodynamic therapy
- Brown et al focussed on expressed emotions of the family of the schizophrenic; found that 10% of patients returning to families with low expressed emotion relapsed in 9months, whereas 58% returning to families with high expressed emotion relapsed. Criticism: this cant be the only cause as patients still relapse when not with family

Cognitive
- cause and effect - are disordered thoughts cause or symptom of schizophrenia
- theory doesn't account for negative symptoms
- study shows that schizophrenics are more sensitive then normal patients when judging a photo of someone being given painful electric shock and judging if genuine or not; could be due to stimuli receiving greater processing i.e. overprocessing of information
Original post by SharinganShahz
for psychological therapies for schizophrenia we were taught CBT and family intervention, but i don't feel too confident on family intervention so i am wondering if i can do CBT and psychoanalysis instead???

also i literally have like 5 hours to go through the whole of media wtf should i do lmao?

I'm doing CBT and psychoanalysis too :biggrin: (literally right now i am going through my essay plan for it lol)

If that's the only thing you have to do I say just make big mindmaps of all the general points for each topic or something idk. Just make sure you know two or three points/research support for each
Anyone else risking it like me and not revising biological explanations/therapies for schizophrenia?

My brain is about to explode

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by babitajades
YASSSS meeeeee!!!! :frown: :'(

Im trying to learn the bio models of addictive behavior, there's no proper explanation that i can understand. For e.g. what is the biological initiation of gambling? is it genetics or chemical whattttt?? I'm going mental

I used this explanation

The biological initiation of gambling is all down to genetics. For example a study by Shah et al found supporting evidence for genetic transmission within gambling in male family members. This suggests that the initiation of gambling is down to our genetic factors which cause us to become addicted. Furthermore research comes Black et al. He found that first degree relatives of pathological gamblers are more likely to suffer from pathological gambling than second degree relatives.
Reply 5269
Original post by r3cklesspixie
for psychological explanations for the attraction of celebs, what ao1 points do I need?
Right now i've got too many notes involving Social learning, para-social relationships and the absorption addiction model.

Just literally a sentence on para social relationships and then the absorption addiction model in outline.

I didn't really understand the Yellowlees et al study?
What was the ao2 point you made for that?
Reply 5271
Original post by Romanoff
Anyone else risking it like me and not revising biological explanations/therapies for schizophrenia?

My brain is about to explode

Lmao- no like I've said earlier I really do think they'll repeat so much content with the exam paper ordeal last year.
Original post by r3cklesspixie
I didn't really understand the Yellowlees et al study?
What was the ao2 point you made for that?

One piece of evidence supporting the theory comes from Yellowlees et al. he supported the idea that madness was the consequence of disbelieving others as was suggested in the cognitive explanation. He then came up with a machine which produces virtual hallucinations such as one face morphing inro another or someone on the screen telling the person to kill themselves. his supports the role of the cognitive explanation because it trys to show them the madness that has been caused from disbelieving others. However support has found no evidence for this treatement yet.
Original post by BethM98
Psychodynamic
- freud blames the mothers, but lots of research shows that parents are actually really sensitive and caring towards child
- Because it can explain schizophrenia, surely it can also develop an effective therapy; there haven't been any major breakthroughs with patients who've had psychodynamic therapy
- Brown et al focussed on expressed emotions of the family of the schizophrenic; found that 10% of patients returning to families with low expressed emotion relapsed in 9months, whereas 58% returning to families with high expressed emotion relapsed. Criticism: this cant be the only cause as patients still relapse when not with family

Cognitive
- cause and effect - are disordered thoughts cause or symptom of schizophrenia
- theory doesn't account for negative symptoms
- study shows that schizophrenics are more sensitive then normal patients when judging a photo of someone being given painful electric shock and judging if genuine or not; could be due to stimuli receiving greater processing i.e. overprocessing of information

Nice points but how do I link in the brown et al study with the cognitive explanation? Also can I talk about transference with psychodynamic therapy and how its outated and no one is relally trained in it?
Original post by Georginarosee
For media yes but I think celebrity stalking is possible since they have asked it ever 2 years.

celebrity stalking was a 4 marker on last years replacement paper
Original post by th_lauren
How do you actually plan an experiment? Help please

this is how my teacher showed us how to do it:

separate it into 4 sections - participants, design, material and procedure. as in, literally write out your answer with these headings, maybe underline them as titles, it'll help with structure!

under participants, write about your sample and how you will go about choosing them (e.g. volunteer) and why. if the question hints at the demographic you should use, go for it, but in most answers it's up to you to pick how many participants you're actually going to have etc.

under design, write your hypothesis (and whether it's directional etc), the independent and dependent variables in your study, what type of experiment it is going to be, or whether it's a correlational study, and maybe explain some measures you will take to try and cancel out extraneous variables etc. always justify!

under materials, you don't have to put much. e.g. if you're analysing kids' behaviour on a playground, you may need a video camera to record and analyse later, a content analysis sheet, and coloured bibs so you can differentiate your participants from the other children

and procedure is when you go through how many days the experiment will take place, the exact steps involved in your experiment (including ethical stuff, consent etc, and then the actual study), how the data is collected, whether you're using multiple observers at a time to increase inter-rater reliability, things like that. end it with a debriefing remember! if you have time, also go through how you will plot your results, and maybe even go through which statistical test you need to see if your results are significant.

remember they literally want you to act like a psychologist, so consider and explain/justify everything u can remember!! and if we get a 10 marker like this don't worry, we're meant to spent 50 minutes on research methods overall. we should have tons of time to do a really detailed answer for that type of question. idk how other schools/teachers have shown people, but that's how i've been taught!! hope it helped. if you can find any model answers online, have a look! if not i can post some of mine here, i've never gotten full marks lol but usually around 8/10 x
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone help me with the major features of science questions. I never know how to get like 5 marks on those.For instance, how would you answer - ' what is the importance of hypothesis testing'?
Original post by Bailey2j09
celebrity stalking was a 4 marker on last years replacement paper

It was intense fandom
Original post by Georginarosee
It was intense fandom

They're the same thing.....
Nice points but how do I link in the brown et al study with the cognitive explanation? Also can I talk about transference with psychodynamic therapy and how its outated and no one is relally trained in it?

brown et al's study is part of the family system's theory, along with the fromm-reichman study

I'm not gonna talk about that personally but I'm sure you could use it !!

Latest

Trending

Trending